Anyone connected w/ a Cable Modem?

Post by Adam Winieck » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:33:09

   I'm curious if this is possible, since it looks like I need
PUMP for RedHat for starters, and the architecture for PUMP is only
i386.  At least I know it can see the ethernet card.

-Adam

Anyone connected w/ a Cable Modem?

Post by Scott » Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:21:14

Quote:>    I'm curious if this is possible, since it looks like I need
> PUMP for RedHat for starters, and the architecture for PUMP is only
> i386.  At least I know it can see the ethernet card.

Pump works for me. Use netcfg to set it up.

Scott A

Anyone connected w/ a Cable Modem?

my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.

Post by Robert Jam » Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:17:09

>my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.

>>    I'm curious if this is possible, since it looks like I need
>> PUMP for RedHat for starters, and the architecture for PUMP is only
>> i386.  At least I know it can see the ethernet card.

>> -Adam

I have LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 connected 24/7 to a cable modem using only the software
supplied on the LinuxPPC disk.

Post by Adam Winieck » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:15:05

> >my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.

> >>    I'm curious if this is possible, since it looks like I need
> >> PUMP for RedHat for starters, and the architecture for PUMP is only
> >> i386.  At least I know it can see the ethernet card.

> >> -Adam

> I have LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 connected 24/7 to a cable modem using only the
> software
> supplied on the LinuxPPC disk

   Are you connected with a Static IP address or with a DHCP client id?
Because AT&T will only accept the client id.

-Adam

Post by Paul Schinde » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:07:52

}
} > my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.
}
}    Are you connected with a Static IP address or with a DHCP client id?

which are an iBook and an iMac), all using DHCP.  The problem that
people usually have is that pump simply doesn't work.  You need to use
dhcpcd.  This is FAQ, and you should be able to find out more at either
the LinuxPPC or the YDL sites.

Quote:}
} -Adam

--
Paul Schinder

Post by Anthony D. Saxto » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:27:12

> which are an iBook and an iMac), all using DHCP.  The problem that
> people usually have is that pump simply doesn't work.  You need to use
> dhcpcd.  This is FAQ, and you should be able to find out more at either
> the LinuxPPC or the YDL sites.

I've tried the technique described in LinuxPPC's FAQ and it worked the first
time. Subsequent boots would result in no connection and long delays while
the System tried to load the mail server and httpd. Fortunately I currently
have a static IP address, but would like to eliminate the extra $10 a month
for that.

I suspect the problem is in the boot script that decides if it's going to
use pump or dhcpcd. I don't know enough about linux scripting to modify it.

Anthony D. Saxton
LnA Concepts

Post by Shinji Wolf » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:29:17

> }
> } > my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.
> }
> }    Are you connected with a Static IP address or with a DHCP client id?

> which are an iBook and an iMac), all using DHCP.  The problem that
> people usually have is that pump simply doesn't work.  You need to use
> dhcpcd.  This is FAQ, and you should be able to find out more at either
> the LinuxPPC or the YDL sites.

> }
> } -Adam

> --
> Paul Schinder

Okie, I wasn't the person who posed the question first, but, I have the same
problem, on 2000 no less, /sbin/pump isn't there, so I tried setting up
dhcpcd, and, every time I boot it keeps trying to use pump again, can any
one tell me what I'm doing wrong please?  This is one confuzzled linux
learner.

Post by Shinji Wolf » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:57:32

> > }
> > } > my linuxppc 2000 Q4 box is connected via cable modem 24/7.
> > }
> > }    Are you connected with a Static IP address or with a DHCP client id?

> > which are an iBook and an iMac), all using DHCP.  The problem that
> > people usually have is that pump simply doesn't work.  You need to use
> > dhcpcd.  This is FAQ, and you should be able to find out more at either
> > the LinuxPPC or the YDL sites.

> > }
> > } -Adam

> > --
> > Paul Schinder

> Okie, I wasn't the person who posed the question first, but, I have the same
> problem, on 2000 no less, /sbin/pump isn't there, so I tried setting up
> dhcpcd, and, every time I boot it keeps trying to use pump again, can any
> one tell me what I'm doing wrong please?  This is one confuzzled linux
> learner.

Oh.. and to add to this, when I hit control+apple+F1 to get the console screen
my keyboard arfs up, I'm on a bondi iMac with USB keyboard, any reason that
should happen (or something I can do to make it stop).

thanks,

Post by Adam Winieck » Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:40:43

> >> I have LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 connected 24/7 to a cable modem using only the
> >> software
> >> supplied on the LinuxPPC disk

> >   Are you connected with a Static IP address or with a DHCP client id?
> >Because AT&T will only accept the client id.

> >-Adam

   Thanks for all the help everyone.  dhcpcd -h [clientid] works
really well for me.  I plan to put it into a configuration sometime,
but I don't mind typing it after startup.  I plan on using Linux
to learn programming for Linux, so I am not network intensive yet.

-Adam

1. Anyone using Cable TV Montgomery cable modems?

Is anybody out there using Cable TV Montgomery(in Rockville, Maryland)
cable modems with Linux?  I am interesting in signing up for the
service, but I want to use Linux and not 95/98.  This is a hybrid
design, with a telephone connection for upwards traffic.  I have to
provide the modem.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Michael Mulvaney
   Man:    With proper funding, I'm confident this little baby could destroy

2. ftape setup with 1.3.32 kernel

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. List of feature codes and descriptions

5. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

6. HELP, HELP, HELP - Re: ISP Connection thru cable modem

7. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

8. permedia 2 card question

9. SPARC 10 connect cable modem by ISP

10. HOW to connect SUSE 6.4 to cable modem via DHCP ??

11. Does anyone have a "3com/US Robotics Cable Modem CMX" working with Linux?

12. connecting redhat thru' cable modem

13. how to connect linux on CABLE MODEM