Lite version on powerbook G3 - installation need help

Lite version on powerbook G3 - installation need help

Post by Thierry Le Penne » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:08:33

I am a newbie for installation of Linux on mac.
I want to test Linuxppc and I have installed on my powerbook G3, the
image of the Lite version of
Linuxppc2000. I succeeded to use XBoot that let me choose between MacOS
9
and Linux. When the installation starts, it uses the RedHat command line

installer that asks me the partition and path where it can find the
RedHat/RPMS and
RedHat/Base. These directories are not defined in the package of the
Lite version.

it might be another installer that is consistent with the definition of
package

Should I download the full version ?

I suspect a partition problem. With "Drive Setup" I have created the
following
partitions:

Mac OS 9     650 Mb     Mac OS Extended
Mac2             750 Mb     Mac OS Extended
Swap             128 Mb         A/UX Swap
Root             about 1500 Mb     A/UX Root

All the installation package is copied to Mac2.

What I have missed in the installation procedure ?
Where can I find documentation for a beginner like me ?

Thank  for help.

Thierry.

Lite version on powerbook G3 - installation need help

Post by Thierry Le Penne » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I found how to resolve my problem.

The partition shema wasn't good, I created new
partitions like that:

Mac OS 9     650 Mb     Mac OS Extended
Mac2             750 Mb     Mac OS Standard <-new
Swap             128 Mb         A/UX Swap
Root             about 2500 Mb     A/UX Root
Free             58Mb         unallocated <-new

Then I have reinstalled the Lite package on Mac2
and set it as startup disk. I got the Xinstaller instead of
the Red-Hat command line.

See you next.

Thierry

> I am a newbie for installation of Linux on mac.
> I want to test Linuxppc and I have installed on my powerbook G3, the
> image of the Lite version of
> Linuxppc2000. I succeeded to use XBoot that let me choose between MacOS
> 9
> and Linux. When the installation starts, it uses the RedHat command line

> installer that asks me the partition and path where it can find the
> RedHat/RPMS and
> RedHat/Base. These directories are not defined in the package of the
> Lite version.

> it might be another installer that is consistent with the definition of
> package

> Should I download the full version ?

> I suspect a partition problem. With "Drive Setup" I have created the
> following
> partitions:

> Mac OS 9     650 Mb     Mac OS Extended
> Mac2             750 Mb     Mac OS Extended
> Swap             128 Mb         A/UX Swap
> Root             about 1500 Mb     A/UX Root

> All the installation package is copied to Mac2.

> What I have missed in the installation procedure ?
> Where can I find documentation for a beginner like me ?

> Thank  for help.

> Thierry.

1. Ethernet on a Powerbook G3 / LinuxPPC 2000 Lite

Hi -

I've been trying for some time now to get my Ethernet working on my
Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet - 300 MHz). The problem is that it works for a
little while, then stops. At that point I can ping myself, but all other
networking dies. I'm on my University's network; they assign IP numbers via
DHCP. ifconfig says the ethernet is UP, with no errors, collisions, etc.
Also at this point, gnome won't launch things and does some other somewhat
strange behavior. If I turn the networking off (using the script that the
machine uses when you shutdown), gnome acts fine again but obviously my
network won't work... and if I try to turn it on (using same script), it
won't turn on again.

Someone I talked to suggested that it was a problem with IRQ settings, but
someone else said that linux should manage IRQ settings by itself. From what
I've seen in the docs, it looks like it'll manage the IRQ settings if you
have the right kernel module selected for your ethernet card (I'm using
linuxconf). The problem is, I have no idea what brand ethernet card is
actually included in the Powerbook (or any other Mac that comes with an
Ethernet card installed, for that matter). Anyone know what module I should
choose for it? Or maybe this isn't my problem... any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Tony

2. Problem starting X

3. Anyone have this problem with LinuxPPC DR4-lite and Powerbook G3

4. Compiling Bash-1.14.3 on Solaris 2.4

5. Powerbook G3 + Yellowdog = Help Needed

6. Unix puzzles

7. Desperately need help installing Debian 2.2 on a PowerBook G3

8. tools in /usr/ccs/bin

9. Mandrake PPC version on a G3 Powerbook

10. LinuxPPC 2000 installation on PowerBook G3 "Firewire"

11. Installation of LinuxPPC on PowerBook G3

12. My Installation Story (Powerbook G3)

13. Basic Debian Installation Instructions for a Powerbook G3