SuSE 7.1 on 533 Mhz G4 : how does it work?

SuSE 7.1 on 533 Mhz G4 : how does it work?

Post by Art Ston » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 04:21:40

We've been happy the last few years with SuSE on PCs;
we're currently running SuSE 7.1. on Intel and AMD
based machines.

In February we bought the then current, new, G4 ( 533 Mhz ),
intending to run SuSE 7.1 on it as well.  It took quite
a while to find that SuSE 7.1 for Power PC; it didn't
seem to be available here in Canada, and SuSE (Oakland)
did not seem to want to sell it to us directly.

After several months I finally managed to find a copy
at a store in the U.S.

However, when I opened the box, I found that this
particular version of the Mac doesn't seem to be
supported by SuSE 7.1 (while earlier -- and later --
G4's apparengly are).  When I go looking on SuSE's web
pages I find (so far) only that the problem is being
worked on, for these particular G4's.  (That's what
SuSE has been saying for quite a while.)

Has anyone gotten SuSE 7.1 (or any other version of SuSE)
to work on the Macs that Apple introduced in February of
this year?  Or --- --- --- any other Linux distribution ???
(( Should we be thinking about Mandrake, or maybe better,
Debian ????  I'd rather avoid Red Hat, but if I'm desparate
I could go that far.))

Ah, our copy of OS X (10.0) doesn't seem to work either,
but that's another batch of questons -- for other mailings.

Needless to say, we'd be grateful to hear from anyone
who can explain any part of the problems.

Art Stone

SuSE 7.1 on 533 Mhz G4 : how does it work?

Post by robe » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 00:27:58

Just Yesterday, I completed an installation of Suse 7.1PowerPC on
a Dual processor G4 (500mhz i believe).. the machine is from summer
of 2000..
  I am VERY pleased with SuSe distro.  They have THE best user manual
of ALL distributions..   For this Mac (and my PbookG3) I have tried
Yellow Dog 1.2, LinuxPPC Q4-2000, and SuSe..   Hands Down, the Suse
is THe BEST distro of these..  I have not tried the new Mandrake, and
am curious what it is like..
  Suse's version of LILO for the NewWorld Rom Macs is a Magnificient
piece of work..  It handles the editting of the OpenFirmware in order
to provide dual booting with macOS..
  After fighting Yaboot/BootX/Ybin/etc, and Unable to find definitive
info on why things weren't working with YDL or PPC.. i finally bought
Suse..  And I am Glad I did..  I recommend SUSE to everyone!  They have
created detailed manuals.. Not the 'talking at you like you are an
idiot' manuals from redhat and mandrake's (pc version)..
  -robert

> We've been happy the last few years with SuSE on PCs;
> we're currently running SuSE 7.1. on Intel and AMD
> based machines.

> In February we bought the then current, new, G4 ( 533 Mhz ),
> intending to run SuSE 7.1 on it as well.  It took quite
> a while to find that SuSE 7.1 for Power PC; it didn't
> seem to be available here in Canada, and SuSE (Oakland)
> did not seem to want to sell it to us directly.

> After several months I finally managed to find a copy
> at a store in the U.S.

> However, when I opened the box, I found that this
> particular version of the Mac doesn't seem to be
> supported by SuSE 7.1 (while earlier -- and later --
> G4's apparengly are).  When I go looking on SuSE's web
> pages I find (so far) only that the problem is being
> worked on, for these particular G4's.  (That's what
> SuSE has been saying for quite a while.)

> Has anyone gotten SuSE 7.1 (or any other version of SuSE)
> to work on the Macs that Apple introduced in February of
> this year?  Or --- --- --- any other Linux distribution ???
> (( Should we be thinking about Mandrake, or maybe better,
> Debian ????  I'd rather avoid Red Hat, but if I'm desparate
> I could go that far.))

> Ah, our copy of OS X (10.0) doesn't seem to work either,
> but that's another batch of questons -- for other mailings.

> Needless to say, we'd be grateful to hear from anyone
> who can explain any part of the problems.

> Art Stone

1. AMD K6-2 533 Mhz for Pentium 233 Mhz: does it work?

Hi,

I have an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard, with 430TX PCIset and a Pentium 233
Mhz CPU.  In a recent article (PC Professionell Jan 2000), there was an
announcement that AMD would come with a K6-2 533 Mhz processor on socket
7 and that even old motherboards with the 430TX chipset, such as the
ASUS97-E, could be upgraded.

Has anyone experience with such upgrade?  Does it work for an ASUS
TX97-XE motherboard?  And, if it works, is it just "replace CPU" and off
you go?  Or are there problems to be expected on hardware/software
level?  The clock?  Running SuSE 6.1 Linux plus W'95 under vmware.

Many thanks,
--
Charles Stroom

url:   http://www.fiume.demon.nl/

2. Will 4.4 boot.flp install on RAID5?

3. 533 mhz computer

4. KDE 2 on RedHat 7 works for non-root user from runlevel 3, but not runlevel 5

5. FS: Digital Alpha 164LX Motherboard with 533 MHz 21164 Alpha CPU

6. Trouble with ping

7. Upgrading CPU on Alpha PC164SX w/533 mhz

8. problem with 'killall' command within a cgi script

9. 533 MHz 164SX vs 500a/u

10. FS: Digital Alpha 164LX Motherboard with 533 MHz 21164 Alpha CPU

11. FS: Alpha Workstation 533 Mhz