Books on Linux?

Post by Scot » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm new to the wonderful world of Linux and was wondering if there were
any books out there worth picking up. Any that I've come across seem
very PC centric and I was looking for something that would be useful
for me as a LinuxPPC user. Any help greatly appreciated.

Scott Maxwell - scottm25 (at) bigfoot (dot) com
My shrink? I just go to him for refills!

Books on Linux?

Post by Luc Lefebv » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm new to the wonderful world of Linux and was wondering if there were
> any books out there worth picking up. Any that I've come across seem
> very PC centric and I was looking for something that would be useful
> for me as a LinuxPPC user. Any help greatly appreciated.

> --
> --
> Scott Maxwell - scottm25 (at) bigfoot (dot) com
> My shrink? I just go to him for refills!

Hi,

I found Running Linux from O'Reilley and associates very useful (still
do...).  There are some sections that are i386 specific but most of it is
relevant.

--
Luc Lefebvre
***

Books on Linux?

Post by Richard S. Holm » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I found Running Linux from O'Reilley and associates very useful (still
> do...).  There are some sections that are i386 specific but most of it is
> relevant.

Note that the second edition is about 3 years old... but I hear
through the grapevine a third edition is to be published in August.

--
- Rich Holmes
  Syracuse, NY /

Books on Linux?

Post by Jeffrey F » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> I'm new to the wonderful world of Linux and was wondering if there were
>> any books out there worth picking up. Any that I've come across seem
>> very PC centric and I was looking for something that would be useful
>> for me as a LinuxPPC user. Any help greatly appreciated.

>Hi,

>I found Running Linux from O'Reilley and associates very useful (still
>do...).  There are some sections that are i386 specific but most of it is
>relevant.

I second this.  As a Mac user with only basic UNIX experience, this book
has been incredibly helpful in getting started.

---

Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism 1999
<http://www.nwu.edu/people/j-few/>

Books on Linux?

Post by J. Haa » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I know there's one major project in the works, and an upcoming O'Rielly
Linux book will have an appendix on installing on PPC, but I think the
info will be slightly outdated by the release of R5.

After installing, many things are the same for PPC as for other
platforms.  (Usually.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/