LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

Post by John Hudso » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

    Yea I know why bother, I was giving it a shot to throw together a cheap
router. Any way after a somewhat shaky installation, my 7200 will not boot
off of anything -  CDROM, Floppy, HardDrive..........

    I tried clearing the PROM....any other suggestions?.....This thing hangs
and sit at the screen just after the mouse pointer pops up.........

Post by Pete » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Yea I know why bother, I was giving it a shot to throw together a cheap router.
Any way after a somewhat shaky installation, my 7200 will not boot off of
anything -  CDROM, Floppy, HardDrive..........

Same result here on one 7200, but the other 7200 I own *will* boot off of the
hard drive.

I suspect a PRAM conflict after an aborted install of LinuxPPC 2000.

Post by Alec Woo » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

>     Yea I know why bother, I was giving it a shot to throw together a cheap
> router. Any way after a somewhat shaky installation, my 7200 will not boot
> off of anything -  CDROM, Floppy, HardDrive..........

>     I tried clearing the PROM....any other suggestions?.....This thing hangs
> and sit at the screen just after the mouse pointer pops up.........

While I've never personally had to resort to such extremes, I have read that
it is sometimes necessary to remove the logic board battery for a little
while to get things working again... remember that option-command-p-r doesn't
clear the whole pram -- just parts of it...

-alec

LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

Post by Doug Donova » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

I had the same problem w/ my 7200/120.  Turned out the hard disk got
clobbered.  Once I disconnected the harddisk powerplug and restarted, I
was able to boot from either floppy or CD.

Then I plugged the power plug back in and reformatted the harddisk.

FWIW

dd

>     Yea I know why bother, I was giving it a shot to throw together a cheap
> router. Any way after a somewhat shaky installation, my 7200 will not boot
> off of anything -  CDROM, Floppy, HardDrive..........

>     I tried clearing the PROM....any other suggestions?.....This thing hangs
> and sit at the screen just after the mouse pointer pops up.........

LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

Post by John Hudso » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

    I suppose my eventual fix was similar to this in a way, but I yanked my
drives and low leveled them on one of my PC's with an Adaptec SCSI
controller. Only problem is, I can't remember exactly what I did in the
first place to*it up, now I'm too gun shy (or tired of cracking open
my case) to try another Linux install. I suppose I'll work up the courage in
a day or so.........  I think I'll just rig up an external drive and pull
the plug on my internal.........Just in case..........

Any one care for a post of my continuing saga?