setting up a PPP connection w/Linux PPC 1999 Q3 on a PBG3 WallStreet 1.0

setting up a PPP connection w/Linux PPC 1999 Q3 on a PBG3 WallStreet 1.0

Post by Jon Whatmor » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

   Hey folks.  Some people were good to send me helpful info on using pdisk
when last I posted.  Quite helpful, making it not nearly as difficult as I
feared.  Thanks
    This time, I just can't seem to be able to set up PPP in Linux PPC 1999
Q3 on my PBG3 (WallStreet 1.0).  I'm using the "Very Stable Powerbook"
kernel (listed as version 2.2.1).  Doesn't matter what I do.  I have:

1) set up a symbolic link between /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/modem (as the LinuxPPC
installation manual says to do) in Xterm, then saved my session to make sure
it stayed (is this necessary?)
2) In GNOME, I tried using netcfg, inputting all the info and more
(/dev/ttyS2 is the port, namely) that MacOS seems satisfied with, only to
tell the connection to go active and have nothing productive happen in
Netscape.
3) Still in GNOME, I tried using gnome-ppp to do the same.  It reports that
the pppd daemon dies every time it tries to initialize the modem.
4) Switching over to KDE and trying kppp, it reports the modem says it's OK
(I should hope, else I wouldn't be able to send this post via MacOS!), but
it still sits there for an indeterminate time trying to initialize the dang
thing.
4a)  In both gnome-ppp and kppp, I've tried various initialization strings,
including the default "ATZ", apparently set by Linux, "AT\13" (from the
MacOS "PowerBook G3 Internal Modem" script),
"AT&FE0W1Q0V1X4&C1&K3S95=1&D3S7=75S0=0\13" (from same, though I'm not sure
when one is used and not the other; though I do note that this is
specifically what was updated between script versions), and finally "AT&F",
which I got from the MacInitStrings (shareware) listing on the PowerBook G3
(but what version of the PBG3?!?!).

    Anyway, that about covers the problem so far.  I've followed everything
I can find in the LinuxPPC manual to get it done, no dice.  Sure, I CAN use
MacOS to connect to the Internet, but ain't Linux supposed to be a
networking OS?  Seems to be wasting away on half of my hard drive right
now...  Any ideas?

    Oh PS, I've also got an expansion bay VST Zip drive (therefore ATAPI,
not SCSI) that the system seems to have a paralyzing (read: freezing) fear
of.  Go to XTerm, type "mount /dev/hde /zip", hit return, and my, does it
ever get cold in here!  Not quite the priority of the other problem, but
still quirky.

Post by Daniel Gil Aharo » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>   Hey folks.  Some people were good to send me helpful info on using
> pdisk when last I posted.  Quite helpful, making it not nearly as
> difficult as I feared.  Thanks
>     This time, I just can't seem to be able to set up PPP in Linux PPC
> 1999 Q3 on my PBG3 (WallStreet 1.0).  I'm using the "Very Stable
> Powerbook" kernel (listed as version 2.2.1).  Doesn't matter what I
> do.  I have:

>      1) set up a symbolic link between /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/modem
>      (as the LinuxPPC installation manual says to do) in Xterm,
>      then saved my session to make sure it stayed (is this
>      necessary?)

etc.

On my Wallstreet I, I just had to use KPPP, and in the modem settings
dialog, I slid both timing sliders to 75.
This made it work. The Powerbook modems seem to be a bit too fast in
trying to initialize themselves under Linux.
The rest of the default settings are good. It is annoying that i must
use KPPP, as I would rather use GnomePPP, but I
havent been able to make it work.

Everything also works this way for me with newer kernels like 2.2.6 and
2.2.12.

Dan

Post by u.. » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>   Hey folks.  Some people were good to send me helpful info on using
> pdisk when last I posted.  Quite helpful, making it not nearly as
> difficult as I feared.  Thanks
>     This time, I just can't seem to be able to set up PPP in Linux PPC
> 1999 Q3 on my PBG3 (WallStreet 1.0).  I'm using the "Very Stable
> Powerbook" kernel (listed as version 2.2.1).  Doesn't matter what I
> do.  I have:

>      1) set up a symbolic link between /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/modem
>      (as the LinuxPPC installation manual says to do) in Xterm,
>      then saved my session to make sure it stayed (is this
>      necessary?)
>      2) In GNOME, I tried using netcfg, inputting all the info
>      and more (/dev/ttyS2 is the port, namely) that MacOS seems
>      satisfied with, only to tell the connection to go active and
>      have nothing productive happen in Netscape.
>      3) Still in GNOME, I tried using gnome-ppp to do the same.
>       It reports that the pppd daemon dies every time it tries to
>      initialize the modem.
>      4) Switching over to KDE and trying kppp, it reports the
>      modem says it's OK (I should hope, else I wouldn't be able
>      to send this post via MacOS!), but it still sits there for
>      an indeterminate time trying to initialize the dang thing.
>      4a)  In both gnome-ppp and kppp, I've tried various
>      initialization strings, including the default "ATZ",
>      apparently set by Linux, "AT\13" (from the MacOS "PowerBook
>      G3 Internal Modem" script),
>      "AT&FE0W1Q0V1X4&C1&K3S95=1&D3S7=75S0=0\13" (from same,
>      though I'm not sure when one is used and not the other;
>      though I do note that this is specifically what was updated
>      between script versions), and finally "AT&F", which I got
>      from the MacInitStrings (shareware) listing on the PowerBook
>      G3 (but what version of the PBG3?!?!).

the (cobalt) modem needs a delay so:

\d\d\n\dAT&FE<string>

i use netcfg to set it up and then /sbin/ifup ppp0 /sbin/ifdown ppp0
(for connect disconnect respectivly). Add some alias' to .bashrc and
yr away .. ie:

alias up='/sbin/ifup ppp0'
alias down='/sbin/ifdown ppp0'

Quote:>     Anyway, that about covers the problem so far.  I've followed
> everything I can find in the LinuxPPC manual to get it done, no dice.
>  Sure, I CAN use MacOS to connect to the Internet, but ain't Linux
> supposed to be a networking OS?  Seems to be wasting away on half of
> my hard drive right now...  Any ideas?

>     Oh PS, I've also got an expansion bay VST Zip drive (therefore
> ATAPI, not SCSI) that the system seems to have a paralyzing (read:
> freezing) fear of.  Go to XTerm, type "mount /dev/hde /zip", hit
> return, and my, does it ever get cold in here!  Not quite the priority
> of the other problem, but still quirky.

you need the powerbook.zip.patch so that hde is read as ATAPI (this
means
that you'd need to compile a kernel of yr own .. umm .. well i you run
an
ftp server i can u/l this 2.2.13 - with benh patches; zip patch; sound
and
backlight button patch)

--
cal-s

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond via email.

setting up a PPP connection w/Linux PPC 1999 Q3 on a PBG3 WallStreet 1.0

Post by Jon Whatmor » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

    Well, now it seems to magically initialize OK (I HAVEN'T implemented any
of your timing suggestions, oddly enough- just switched it over to
/dev/ttyS2 modem port and init string AT&F in gnome-ppp). It even gives me a
connection, but the pppd daemon still dies as soon as I start up Netscape.
Is this still a timing issue?

setting up a PPP connection w/Linux PPC 1999 Q3 on a PBG3 WallStreet 1.0

Post by u.. » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>    Well, now it seems to magically initialize OK (I HAVEN'T
> implemented any of your timing suggestions, oddly enough- just
> switched it over to /dev/ttyS2 modem port and init string AT&F in
> gnome-ppp). It even gives me a connection, but the pppd daemon still
> dies as soon as I start up Netscape.  Is this still a timing issue?

the last i heard kppp and gnome-ppp were troublesome .. i'd suggest
using /sbin/ifup ppp0 (after setting up netcfg .. and checking 'alow
any user to de/activate')

--
cal-s

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond via email.

1. Linux 1999 "classic" -> Linux 1999 Q3

Is there a list anywhere of which RPMs one should download to bring Linux
1999 (June release) up to the Q3 release?

TIA,

Dan

--
Daniel E. Sabath, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Laboratory Medicine

2. Sun C

3. Linux PPC 1999 Q3 release on a G4

4. rsh and dmake...

5. Upgrade Linux 1999 Q3 ->2000 ?

6. Driver - 3Com 3XP Processor - Mandrake 8.2

7. How do I set the keyboard rate on (ADB) PBG3 Wallstreet?

8. SVR3.2 Hercules Graphics

9. Video Settings for PBG3 (Wallstreet)?

10. IrDA on Wallstreet (1999) PB?

11. IDE Drives VANISH with LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 on iMac

12. 3c905b with Linuxppc 1999 Q3

13. XFree86 problems since Q3 linuxppc 1999