Newbie Question (downloading YDL)

Post by James Dawso » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:12:05

Hello all!!

I have YDL 2.1 on CD and it is great!

However I never learned how to download from the YDL site to make CD_ROMS.
YDL 3.0 is 6 CD's worth of data, and I don't know what to separate where.
I'm also clueless about ISO , whatever that may be,...

Please help a newbie out; I can't find anything on YDL's support pages

Thanx;
jyhm

Post by Whom » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:11:50

> Hello all!!

> I have YDL 2.1 on CD and it is great!

> However I never learned how to download from the YDL site to make CD_ROMS.
> YDL 3.0 is 6 CD's worth of data, and I don't know what to separate where.
> I'm also clueless about ISO , whatever that may be,...

> Please help a newbie out; I can't find anything on YDL's support pages

> Thanx;
> jyhm

(0) 3 CDs, not 6.

(1) go to: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml

(2) click on the link: Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 ISOs (CD-ROM images)

(3) Download:

.../pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install1.iso
.../pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install2.iso
.../pub/yellowdog/iso/yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install3.iso

If the ftp site is too slow or unresponsive, choose another site listed at
the end of the ftp_mirrors.shtml page and proceed from that other site. Try
to download the "20030530" set, not the "20030325".

(4) Optional: get also the md5sum file located in the same ftp directory.
For each of the .iso you downloaded, do:

shell> md5sum <...>.iso

For yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install1.iso it will reply:

4d4e708331af59f0da1310a12fcb2081  yellowdog-3.0-sirius-20030530-install1.iso

which you can compare with the digest in the md5sum file you downloaded. If
the digest is different it means that your downloaded file is not identical
to what the original publisher intended it to be.

If you want to know what the hell md5 is:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/
http://www.google.com/search?q=md5

.
.
.
A few hours later...

(5a) Use cdrecord (at the prompt as root) to burn your 3 .iso images. If you
do not know the device to specify:

shell> cdrecord -scanbus

To burn a CD:

- Open the CD burner tray
- Put a blank CD
- Invoke cdrecord (in the line below we burn at x12)

shell> cdrecord -v speed=12 dev=0,0,0  <path_of_iso_image>.iso

If you do not know what the hell the line above means:

shell> man cdrecord

If the man page leaves you in the cold:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

(5b) If you want to burn your CDs using Windows or MacOS refer to the
documentation of your Windows (ex: Nero) or MacOS (ex: Roxio) product to
learn how to burn an .iso image.

(6) You can now install YDL 3.0 using those 3 CDs. Suggested reading:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-singl...

(7) Once you've installed your system and rebooted. Get a prompt, as root:

shell> man yum

to learn what yum is.

shell> yum update

To get your system updated with the last updated RPMs from YDL.

(8) YDL 3.0 being the RH 9 PPC incarnation plus the work that TerraSoft put
into it (i.e. supporting all the clunky PowerPC hardware we still use with
love and affection), you can learn a lot of things by downloading the RH 9
documentation located there:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

Except for the installation, the documentation will mostly apply to YDL 3
and allow you to learn plenty of things.

(9) For the unexpected road blocks:

Subscribing to yellowdog-general and yellowdog-newbie is a good idea.

(10) The YDL web site uses google to search and find. Use it. For instance,
if you enter "ydl 3 iso download" and click on the yellow round button,
this leads you to:

Post by James Dawso » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:12:16

----------

> [...]

>shell> man yum

>to learn what yum is.

>shell> yum update

>To get your system updated with the last updated RPMs from YDL.

>(8) YDL 3.0 being the RH 9 PPC incarnation plus the work that TerraSoft put
>into it (i.e. supporting all the clunky PowerPC hardware we still use with
>love and affection), you can learn a lot of things by downloading the RH 9
>documentation located there:

>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/

>Except for the installation, the documentation will mostly apply to YDL 3
>and allow you to learn plenty of things.

>(9) For the unexpected road blocks:

>Subscribing to yellowdog-general and yellowdog-newbie is a good idea.

>(10) The YDL web site uses google to search and find. Use it. For instance,
>if you enter "ydl 3 iso download" and click on the yellow round button,

That is Great!!!! Thank you for such an in depth explanation, it is really
more than I expected, after so many snobbish replies.

If I am to download only the iso installs,... what are all the other files
for

ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yellowdog-3.0/

    /yellowdog-3.0/

        /en/

            /os/

            --> GPL
            --> README
            --> RELEASE-NOTES
            -->  RPM-GPG-KEY
            --> SRPMS -??
            --> YellowDog -???
            --> autorun-template
            --> boot -???
            --> images -???
            --> misc -???

Thanx;

jyhm

1. Newbie Question (YDL as server)

Hi everyone.

I'm a long time mac user, but have never used Linux before. I have also
never configured a LAN or anything like that, but I feel I have a good
starting knowledge.

to do is have a network using a powermac 6400/200 running YDL as the sever
(router?) and run the other machines off of that (6500/250, starmax 3160,
IBM thinkipad 1422, and a little quadra 650)

Is the 6400 a good macing to use as the server? It already has an ethernet
card in the comm slot, so obviously I would have to put another card in
the PCI slot - What PCI Ethernet cards are supported by YDL?

I think the Quadra would be good for a web or mail server, or both if
possible.  Or, should I plan to have these on the 6400?

I hope I haven't confused, but I relly want to learn linux, and it seems
like YDL would be the best choice.

Is it a wise choice to use the 6400, or could I even use the quadra (If I
did, I would have to use mklinux instead...)

Any comments or sugesstions are greatly appreciated!

TIA...

J Anderson, Carleton University.

GO SENS GO!

2. w not working properly

3. Complete newbie YDL question

4. c compiler at ftp.sco.com (skunkware)

5. YDL newbie question

6. storage size of `iov' isn't known

7. Trouble downloading YDL-1.2 ISO images

8. Make problem....

9. Downloading ydl .iso

10. YDL installing affer download.....

11. downloading YDL 3.0