kernel 2.2.1 booting problem....

Post by Amy Alexande » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've read posts on similar woes here, not sure it's all the same,
but....

I've been running linuxppc kernel 2.1.125 with BootX 1.0b6 for several
months on my
7200/90. All's well, except for some problems with inexplicable crashes
and with printing. So,
I thought I'd try the 2.2.x kernel.

But, when I try to boot the new kernel (binary downloaded from linuxppc
or mirror sites), I get
no farther than the line,
"Welcome to Linux. Kernel 2.2.1 booting...."

And then it just sits there.

Tried redownloading the kernel (yes, it's ftp'ed  in binary form), but
always the same result.
Tried upgrading BootX to 1.02. Same result. I haven't tried compiling
the kernel myself yet.
Just wondering if there's some obvious thing I'm missing? Is this kernel
only compatible with
release 5 binaries or some such thing?

Thanks,
-Amy

(to reply by e-mail, just remove the part about spam being gone from the
address you see...)

kernel 2.2.1 booting problem....

Post by Mark A. McLaughli » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a Power Macintosh 7200/75 and have experienced the same
exact problem--I get the kernel booting message at then it just
sits there.  I did not yet try BootX 1.0.2 (but it appears that
that does not fix the problem).  I have, however, tried compiling
the kernel myself, but I get the same results.  Does anyone have
any suggestions?  Has anyone gotten the 2.2.1 kernel running
on a 7200 with linux version 4.1?

> I've read posts on similar woes here, not sure it's all the same,
> but....

> I've been running linuxppc kernel 2.1.125 with BootX 1.0b6 for several
> months on my
> 7200/90. All's well, except for some problems with inexplicable crashes
> and with printing. So,
> I thought I'd try the 2.2.x kernel.

> But, when I try to boot the new kernel (binary downloaded from linuxppc
> or mirror sites), I get
> no farther than the line,
> "Welcome to Linux. Kernel 2.2.1 booting...."

> And then it just sits there.

> Tried redownloading the kernel (yes, it's ftp'ed  in binary form), but
> always the same result.
> Tried upgrading BootX to 1.02. Same result. I haven't tried compiling
> the kernel myself yet.
> Just wondering if there's some obvious thing I'm missing? Is this kernel
> only compatible with
> release 5 binaries or some such thing?

> Thanks,
> -Amy

> (to reply by e-mail, just remove the part about spam being gone from the
> address you see...)

kernel 2.2.1 booting problem....

Post by Vany » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

ahhh, good to see this thread......I've been having the same problem
with my Powercurve which is based on the 7200 (catalyst) motherboard.
Nothing seems to get me past the initial boot screen with kernel 2.2.1.
The most recent kernel I've been able to use so far is 2.1.131. I hope
the kernel gets fixed.

Vanye

> I got mail from Martin Costabel mentioning some posts that pointed to the
> 2.2.1
> kernel being broken for 7200. I tried his compiled 2.2.3 kernel from his
> website
> and that one worked... now I'm trying to compile my own 2.2.3 kernel, but so
> far it hasn't succeeded - then again I haven't had a chance yet play with it
> for
> very long.
> Anyway, perhaps the 2.2.1 kernel was broken for more than just the 7200?

> > No resolutions, but I can confirm that I've experienced the same problems,
> > with kernels I've compiled and with ones I've downloaded. I've seen this
> > problem with several versions of BootX, on both a PowerBook G3 and a
> > PowerComputing PowerWave. Both these machines work fine with the
> > distributed kernel.

> ---

> --Amy Alexander

> To reply by mail, remove the part about spam being gone from the address you see.

kernel 2.2.1 booting problem....

Post by Aaron Rosenblu » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I got mail from Martin Costabel mentioning some posts that pointed to the 2.2.1
> kernel being broken for 7200. I tried his compiled 2.2.3 kernel from his website
> and that one worked... now I'm trying to compile my own 2.2.3 kernel, but so
> far it hasn't succeeded - then again I haven't had a chance yet play with it for
> very long.
> Anyway, perhaps the 2.2.1 kernel was broken for more than just the 7200?

Stock 2.2.1 kernel works on my 7500, but I couldn't get 2.2.3 to compile.  Maybe
2.2.4 works?

--Aaron

kernel 2.2.1 booting problem....

Post by Niall Gallagh » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I've read posts on similar woes here, not sure it's all the same,
>but....

>I've been running linuxppc kernel 2.1.125 with BootX 1.0b6 for several
>months on my
>7200/90. All's well, except for some problems with inexplicable crashes
>and with printing. So,
>I thought I'd try the 2.2.x kernel.

>But, when I try to boot the new kernel (binary downloaded from linuxppc
>or mirror sites), I get
>no farther than the line,
>"Welcome to Linux. Kernel 2.2.1 booting...."

I had just the same experience with a 7200. Did some digging and found a
"test" version of 2.2.1 which boots and runs quite nicely (as far as I can
see..) on my 7200.

The vmlinux I am using can be found at
ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/linux/linuxppc/kernel/powermac/test...

regards....Niall

--
Niall Gallagher      --- remove "n" from address to reply

1. Linux Kernel V1.3.15 and boot problems

Hi,

I have been running kernel 1.2.0 and have compiled this with no
difficulty.  I recently pulled down source code for Kernel 1.3.15 and
compiled it without any errors.  When booting I get to the point:

"vfs:mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly."

After this I go into an endless loop:

child xxxx died with code ff00

where xxxx = 1 ----> infinity.

Does anyone know what gives.  The next process that should take place is
the init and this never happens.  I am not sure whether the filesystem
actually mounts or not !!!  Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
I know kernel v1.3.x are experimental.

2. Linux and dos files

3. kernel 2.0.14 boot problem

4. matrox problems

5. Kernel 2.2.3 Boot Problem

6. linux proxy server setup

7. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

8. vioce chat insolaris2.6...

9. Problems when boot new kernel 2.5.66 kernel panic

10. Problem in upgrading kernel -- can't boot the system with new 2.4.1 kernel

11. Kernel Upgrade problem: Incorrect kernel version with /boot/System.map

12. PF at boot problem and ethernet kernel recompile problem

13. Boot hangs at: Ok booting the kernel