R5 on UMAX S900 install problem

Post by jchid.. » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I followed the instructions on linuxppc.org for installation on my UMAX
S900: Partioned a Jaz (950MB root, 50MB swap) with pdisk, downloaded all
the required files (yea, it took a really long time) and booted with the
BootX installer. XWindows launches and xli installer 1.4g comes up.
Then, no matter what I do be it launch the welcome, drive setup, or
_nothing_at_all_ the machine freezes. Any thoughts?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Dietmar Herrend?rfe » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I followed the instructions on linuxppc.org for installation on my UMAX
> S900: Partioned a Jaz (950MB root, 50MB swap) with pdisk, downloaded all
> the required files (yea, it took a really long time) and booted with the
> BootX installer. XWindows launches and xli installer 1.4g comes up.
> Then, no matter what I do be it launch the welcome, drive setup, or
> _nothing_at_all_ the machine freezes. Any thoughts?

Just to let you know that R5 works fine on my UMAX S900, so I don't think
its
specific to this platform. However your description sounds like some
hardware
incompatibility to me.
Probably try booting with "no video drive" being checked, as you might have

problems with graphics support. The installation will run nevertheless, and

problems like this are easier to sort out with a running system.

Dietmar Herrend?rfer

R5 on UMAX S900 install problem

Post by Regnir » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Did you download the new 4 MByte installer from LinuxPPC's site? It solved all
the problems for my C500, but I used the CD.

Charlie Springer

Post by Ric » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Did you download the new 4 MByte installer from LinuxPPC's site? It solved all
> the problems for my C500, but I used the CD.

> Charlie Springer

Have you been able to get ppp working? If so, how?

Does your system bot right inot the graphical login screen. On my 3rd or
4th installation, that screen was installed by default.

Any and all help appreciated.

R5 on UMAX S900 install problem

Post by Regnir » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Have you been able to get ppp working? If so, how?

>Does your system bot right inot the graphical login screen. On my 3rd or
>4th installation, that screen was installed by default.

>Any and all help appreciated

I have a 400 MB Mac partition with system 8.5 and network stuff with the Mac OS
and have not tried PPP. My system boots with the BootX extension. I get a Mac
logo, then the bootX dialog and if I don't click "mac os" is goes Linux in a
few seconds.

I'm about to try to install Scilab. My first try at something like this.

Charlie

1. Linux PPC R5 video problems: Umax S900, Twin Turbo

Greetings. In previous versions of MKLinux and LinuxPPC, I have been
able to use X with
no problem,  despite resolution or bit depth. In the loading mechanism
for LinuxPPC Release 5
as well as the stand-alone demo (read-only file system) I see that my
video card and monitor are
not an issue. Everything loaded smoothly, and was quite fast.

However, XFree86 can't be set up for my environment, so I've not used
the *new* release
beyond several re-installs.

First, has anyone installed or tested LinuxPPC Release 5 on  Umax S900
with a 17 inch Apple monitor
and a 4 MB Twin Turbo card? Also, why are we now asked to wade into
XFree86 configuration at all?

Why is my very monitor listed among the config choices (last stage of
the RedHat installer)
only to have its tests fail? If you are new to the install process, you
can screw up a monitor.
Shielding from this was one of the strengths of the MKLinux and LinuxPPC
in all the version
before this one.

If this has been well-documented, please refer me to a URL or letter
thread.
This is somewhat upsetting because the list of installed software is
thrilling, to say the least.
I was looking forward to a weekend of database study and coding.
Instead, I've had to deal
with video issues and haven't made use of this newly-delivered triumph.

Any assistance is appreciated to no end...

Regards,
W. John Burns
HTML/Junior Web Development, Design
Boston, MA

2. Booting from ROM (PROM, flash, etc)

3. S900 R5/Umax/Linksys/eth1 trouble. .

4. Need cross platform linker

5. MkLinux Install Problem (Umax S900) Device not ready?

6. DNS inside firewall

7. Install probs on UMAX S900

8. PPP: Got dynamic IP, no ping

9. Trouble installing on UMAX S900