QuickCam & Linux?

Post by No Spa » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten a Connectix Color QuickCam to work with either MkLinux or Linux-Pmac?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

To reply, remove the obvious from the address.

QuickCam & Linux?

Post by Olivier Gutknec » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone gotten a Connectix Color QuickCam to work with either MkLinux
> or Linux-Pmac? Any pointers would be appreciated.

I remember that an experimental QuickCam driver has been integrated in
the latest development kernels (not ppc specific), so it might be
possible in a not-so distant future. Check out <http://www.linuxhq.com>

Ol.
--
Olivier Gutknecht     ...      Laboratoire d'Informatique, Robotique

QuickCam & Linux?

Post by Jeff Ruge » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: > Has anyone gotten a Connectix Color QuickCam to work with either MkLinux
: > or Linux-Pmac? Any pointers would be appreciated.

: I remember that an experimental QuickCam driver has been integrated in
: the latest development kernels (not ppc specific), so it might be
: possible in a not-so distant future. Check out <http://www.linuxhq.com>

It will compile with the experimental kernels, but I haven't gotten it to
work yet (well, I'm playing with the B&W one).  Two things to keep in mind
are that its set up for the parallel port, and that the ioctls have
changed from the pre-integration drivers I've played with (it is using the
video4linux ioctls now).  I haven't gotten mine to work yet, but I have 4
variables -- parallel port driver, video4linux driver, qcam driver,
application.  I know the application doesn't work, but even just doing
ioctls hasn't been working yet (opening the device still fails).  And
unfortunately, I keep getting filesystem corruption with the later kernels
(someplace I'm trying to avoid diving into for now).

...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you
would not have been informed.

1. QuickCam & Linux: Help to change Connectix's policy about VIDEC licensing

[This announcement has been crossposted to the]
[Linux advocacy, misc and hardware newsgroups.]

Hello,

The Quickcam has become the world's most favourite digital camera. But
Connectix Corporation, manufacturer of the Quickcam, provides drivers
for
Windows and MacOs only. Linux drivers were written by independent 3rd
party developers.

You may have heard that Connectix does not want to give these third
party
developers any information about the colour quickcam's VIDEC compression
(also known as "thousands of colours" mode). Only with the help of VIDEC
can the Quickcam transmit 25 frames per second to the computer (compared
to poor 2 fps with uncompressed image transfer). So without the
algorithm,
the Quickcam is useless for applications like video conferencing, live
image streaming, robot vision etc.

I am trying to change that and started a little campaign to convince
Connectix that VIDEC should be a part of third party drivers. Many
developers of Quickcam software for Unix have joined the campaign. If
you
own a Quickcam and wish to support this effort, please sign up at

      <URL:http://www.kabel.de/~hmueller/qc/>

Among the supporters of the campaign are NASA scientists, university
professors, professional website designers, internet providers,
astronomers... The automated value counter shows that they own more than
110,000 US$ worth of Quickcams.

Please note that this is not a boycott call against Connectix. By
signing
up, all you say is that you want full support of all the Quickcam's
features with your favourite operating system.

Greetings,

Hanno Mueller

Check out http://www.kabel.de/                    Kabel New Media GmbH
Personal  http://www.kabel.de/~hmueller/          Hanno Mueller
Real programmers dump core                        Alte Pianofabrik
                                                  Schulterblatt 58
                                                  20357 Hamburg, Germany
                                                  phone: 49.40.432969-37
                                                  fax: 49.40.432969-90

2. HELP ! User's .profile not read when logging in via SSH

3. Color QuickCam & Linux?

4. list of ISPs that support Linux?

5. Linux/X drivers for QuickCam/QuickCam color

6. G4 sawtooth and network

8. 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable modem)

9. x & connectix color quickcam

10. QuickCam & Kernel 2.2.14

11. Quickcam & TV at same time

12. Epson Color Stylus 600 &/or quickcam

13. Quickcam Express & xawtv