Apple Desktop Bus on PB support

Post by Jeremy L. Buchman » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

I was thinking about getting a mouse to use on my PowerBook instead of
using the trackpad.  Does anyone know if Linux supports the Apple Desktop
Bus (ADB)?  I found this line in my startup...is this it?

adb devices: [2]: 2 c3 [3]: 3 1 [7]: 7 1f

TIA
Jeremy Buchmann       "Those who trade freedom for safety deserve

Apple Desktop Bus on PB support

Post by Boris Ze » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I was thinking about getting a mouse to use on my PowerBook instead of
> using the trackpad.  Does anyone know if Linux supports the Apple Desktop
> Bus (ADB)?  I found this line in my startup...is this it?

LinuxPPC does of course support the ADB. Otherwise you couldn't use it
on desktop Macs.

If your question is: does Linux support the ADB _on PowerBooks_ than my
answer is yes (at least on my PB G3 Series). BTW, the built-in keyboard
and trackpad are also ADB devices. I would recommend the original Apple
mice because the are supported. I once attached an Kensington mouse to
my PMac 7600 and MKLInux did not recognize it.

Ciao
Boris

--

That is: Boris Zech, Offenbach, Germany, Europe | Voice : +49 69 858321

Post by Louis Kowolowsk » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> If your question is: does Linux support the ADB _on PowerBooks_ than my
> answer is yes (at least on my PB G3 Series). BTW, the built-in keyboard
> and trackpad are also ADB devices. I would recommend the original Apple
> mice because the are supported. I once attached an Kensington mouse to
> my PMac 7600 and MKLInux did not recognize it.

I believe that the 4 button kensington thinking mice are supported.

"One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft Promo Ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer"  -- Adolf Hitler

Eunuchs, the non-gender-specific OS

In Germany's Black Forest:
 It is strickly forbidden on our Black Forest camping site
 that people of different sex, for instance, men & women,
 live together in one tent unless they are married for that
 purpose.

Quote:>Hi! I'm the signature virus 99!  Copy me into your signature and join the

fun!<

Post by Sherman Wilco » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> I would recommend the original Apple
> mice because the are supported. I once attached an Kensington mouse to
> my PMac 7600 and MKLInux did not recognize it.

Don't know about a 7600, but the Kensington mouse I have attached to my PB
G3 is recognized just fine with LinuxPPC.

-- Sherman

Post by Mike Zula » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> I would recommend the original Apple
> mice because the are supported. I once attached an Kensington mouse to
> my PMac 7600 and MKLInux did not recognize it.

What kernel/server pair are you using?  DR3 didn't recognize many types of
3 button mice, but the newer Generic series recognize and utilize many
mice correctly.

Mike

--
Mike Zulauf

Post by Boris Ze » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I would recommend the original Apple
> > mice because the are supported. I once attached an Kensington mouse to
> > my PMac 7600 and MKLInux did not recognize it.

> What kernel/server pair are you using?  DR3 didn't recognize many types of
> 3 button mice, but the newer Generic series recognize and utilize many
> mice correctly.

It has been sometime ago (maybe a year or so). You are right, IMHO it
was MKLinux DR3. It's no longer a "problem" for me because I switched
from Desktop to Notebook and from MkLinux to LinuxPPC. ;-)

Ciao
Boris

--

That is: Boris Zech, Offenbach, Germany, Europe | Voice : +49 69 858321