Newbie: Perl-mode in Emacs or other Linux editor: how?

Newbie: Perl-mode in Emacs or other Linux editor: how?

Post by john s jacobs anderso » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Rory> I've just installed Linux PPC on my Lombard powerbook. I'm a
Rory> happy user of BBedit and MacPerl, and would like to learn how to
Rory> use Emacs or another Linux text editor to write Perl scripts
Rory> using syntax colouring and so on.  I'm very much a Linux
Rory> neophyte, so although I can get into Emacs, I have absolutely no
Rory> idea of how to get into perl-mode, even less how to run the
Rory> script from there.

Try opening Emacs, then typing 'M-x perl-mode RET' and then 'C-h m'.

If you don't know how to type M-x (and that's not capital M dash x,
BTW), you should first work through the Emacs tutorial by typing
Control-h and then t.

You might have more luck getting Emacs questions answered in one of
the Emacs newsgroups, like comp.emacs or gnu.emacs.help

HTH,
john.

John S Jacobs Anderson                                   Apprentice Geek

<URL:http://genehack.org/>   <-------    GeneHack: bioinfo*linux*opinion

Newbie: Perl-mode in Emacs or other Linux editor: how?

Post by Rory C » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I've just installed Linux PPC on my Lombard powerbook. I'm a happy user of
BBedit and MacPerl, and would like to learn how to use Emacs or another
Linux text editor to write Perl scripts using syntax colouring and so on.
I'm very much a Linux neophyte, so although I can get into Emacs, I have
absolutely no idea of how to get into perl-mode, even less how to run the
script from there.

I'd be grateful for any pointers.
Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange
The Campbell-Lange Workshop, London

Post by Paul Kimo » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I've just installed Linux PPC on my Lombard powerbook. I'm a happy user of
> BBedit and MacPerl, and would like to learn how to use Emacs or another
> Linux text editor to write Perl scripts using syntax colouring and so on.
> I'm very much a Linux neophyte, so although I can get into Emacs, I have
> absolutely no idea of how to get into perl-mode,

First, there is no reason to use the old "perl-mode"; preferred is the
newer, more powerful "cperl-mode".  Once it's installed in the right place,
you can enter it by running "M-x cperl-mode", or you can have it start up
automagically by putting the right bits of elisp code in your .emacs file
(see the comments in cperl-mode.el).  If you are running emacs under X such
that it pops up its own window, you get syntax coloring by running "M-x
font-lock-mode".

(In the most recent GNU Emacs releases, cperl-mode is already there.
For older releases, you have to get it yourself from somewhere like
http://www.veryComputer.com/;
a reasonable place to put it is in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.)

Quote:>                                                  even less how to run the
> script from there.

Better to run it from the command line, although there apparently is
support for running the de* in emacs, if you like that sort of thing.

--

Post by Paul Lieberma » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I've just installed Linux PPC on my Lombard powerbook. I'm a happy user of
> BBedit and MacPerl, and would like to learn how to use Emacs or another
> Linux text editor to write Perl scripts using syntax colouring and so on.
> I'm very much a Linux neophyte, so although I can get into Emacs, I have
> absolutely no idea of how to get into perl-mode, even less how to run the
> script from there.

> I'd be grateful for any pointers.
> Rory

> --
> Rory Campbell-Lange
> The Campbell-Lange Workshop, London

Emacs also recognizes perl code by the first line of the script
#!/usr/bin/perl  and will automatically go to perl mode. One annoyance, if
you want Emacs to auto-indent as you type (rather then waiting until you
complete a statement) use Ctrl-J to end a line rather then Return.

Paul

--

Systems Engineer                          541-552-6962
Computing Services Center

1. jump to compiler error line in editor [GNU Emacs' compile mode ad]

|> ESC x compile:
|> Compile the program including the current buffer.  Default: run `make'.
|> Runs COMMAND, a shell command, in a separate process asynchronously
|> with output going to the buffer *compilation*.
|> You can then use the command C-x ` to find the next error message
|> and move to the source code that caused it.

Yes, it is one of the best feature of GNU Emacs, but it doesn't work
in AIX 3002 (with GNU Emacs 18.57 with X11 support). Has anybody encountered
the same problem and have a solution?

The other nice feature is dynamic abbreviation and global/mode abbreviation.
Again, the global/mode abbreviation doen't work. It insists on putting a '-'
at the end of an expansion. Help me please!

Kai S. Ng                     Informatics, National Research Council Canada

2. HyaFAX 4.0 problems on SCO V5

3. "emacs" terminfo--shell-mode in emacs

4. Network Storage Appliance

5. In vi mode as in emacs mode?

6. Linux 2.0.0????

7. Is there a ksh emacs mode equivalent to the vi mode's "v" command?

8. BARR QUEUES IN UNIX

9. EMACS &LINUX problem: editor only displays one screen

10. JOVE and other emacs-like editors for Linux

11. Tab-completion in emacs-mode in ksh on Linux?

12. Emacs c-mode /w linux

13. linux-c-mode with emacs 19.30