How to install Mandrake 8.0 without graphical interface

How to install Mandrake 8.0 without graphical interface

Post by Alain Bir » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:01:35

Is it possible to install Mandrake non using the graphical interface ?
(The installation fail when the first X screen is displaying with my 19" screen)

--
Alain Birtz
Cegep St-Hyacinthe College

How to install Mandrake 8.0 without graphical interface

Post by Peter Walke » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:45:24

Yes,

It is possible.  When given te boot prompt, choose install-text. You can
install from there.

Regards,

Peter Walker

> Is it possible to install Mandrake non using the graphical interface ?
> (The installation fail when the first X screen is displaying with my 19"
screen)

> --
> Alain Birtz
> Cegep St-Hyacinthe College

1. Mandrake 8.0 install CD won't boot install procedure.

Hello:

I am trying to install Mandrake 8.0, and the install CD-ROM won't
boot the install procedure.

It does come up with the <F1> for options screen, and <Enter> to
install...I press enter, and it looks like it's trying to boot
into the install procedure, but when it gets to the part about
looking for a CDROM, it hangs.

I have tried two different CD-ROM physical media in two different
CD-ROM drives, and it's the same.

One CD-ROM I borrowed from a friend, and is from CheapBytes.com, and
the other is from an image that I downloaded from the 'net (and yes,
I md5'd the images before I burned them, and they were kosher images.)

I tried making a boot floppy...but it's still the same...the CD seems
to be bootable (or I don't think it would even get to the screen that
displays the Manrake logo, and offers the F1/Enter choice), it just
gets boogered up when it tries to fire up the installation procedure.

The two CD-ROM drives are a Memorex 40-X and a Sony 8x/4x/32x RX
that I bought recently, and is brand spankin' new...both are ATAPI.

The CD-ROM is connected to the master of the secondary IDE...the
primary EIDE has a 4GB HD on the master and a 10GB HD on the slave.
(the slave drive is partitioned as a 3.5 GB Windows partition,
followed by a 512MB sawp partition for Linux, followed by a 6GB
partition for Linux) The secondary EIDE has the CD-ROM on the
primary, and a 100MB Zip on the slave.

Other system particulars:
Pentium 233 MMX
Shuttle Hot 569 (Intel i430 chipset, I think) Mainboard
256 MB SDRAM
3Com 3c905ctx NIC

I'm *very* close to stumped.

I haven't tried downloading another distro...

Any clues?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--
Later.
Steve.

For my proper E-mail address, please remove
'your.clothes.'  Spammers suck.

2. HOW I CAN USE A MODEM BOCA RESEARCH V34 IN COM3 AND IRQ7

3. RH 8.0 can't enter into graphical install mode

4. Q: efax/hylafax setup???

5. red hat 6.1 graphical install interface...where is it?

6. paging space & other

7. RH install 6.1 graphical interface

8. Your gonna love this one:-)

9. INSTALL: Graphical interface all messed up. Help!

10. How to Install Elsa/Compaq Gloria M/L on Mandrake 8.0?

11. Mandrake 8.0 install problem

12. PS2 Mouse problems with Mandrake 8.0 install

13. Newbie needs to install Mandrake 8.0