Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

Network connections with LinuxPPC R4.1 on a Performa 6400

Post by Brya » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a Performa 6400 which I have installed R4.1 on.  I was trying to
figure out how to configure the ethernet card.  It is a Dayna pci
ethernet card and requires a software extension (DaynaPORT BlueStreak
Fast Ethernet Adapter) to run when in the mac os.  Has anyone run across
this problem and do they have a solution?

Do you think R5 adresses this problem in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bryan

Post by Martin Costabe » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Performa 6400 which I have installed R4.1 on.  I was trying to
> figure out how to configure the ethernet card.  It is a Dayna pci
> ethernet card and requires a software extension (DaynaPORT BlueStreak
> Fast Ethernet Adapter) to run when in the mac os.  Has anyone run across
> this problem and do they have a solution?

> Do you think R5 adresses this problem in any way?

No, I think this is a kernel question and has probably nothing to do
with R4 vs R5. In any case, there is a drivers/net/daynaport.c file in
the kernel sources and a corresponding CONFIG_DAYNAPORT option. I have
no idea whether this will make your card work, but you should give it a
try. What does dmesg say about your card?

--
Martin

Post by Michael Schmit » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > figure out how to configure the ethernet card.  It is a Dayna pci
> > ethernet card and requires a software extension (DaynaPORT BlueStreak
> > Fast Ethernet Adapter) to run when in the mac os.  Has anyone run across
> > this problem and do they have a solution?

> > Do you think R5 adresses this problem in any way?

> No, I think this is a kernel question and has probably nothing to do
> with R4 vs R5. In any case, there is a drivers/net/daynaport.c file in
> the kernel sources and a corresponding CONFIG_DAYNAPORT option. I have

That's the NS8390 based Daynaport Nubus card driver for m68k Macs. Not
useful for PPC without some hacking (and I somehow doubt the Fast
Ethernet cards
still use the 8390 chipset).

        Michael

1. Mount point - Install LinuxPPC (Performa 6400)

Can anyone tell me how to define the "mount point". I read in the
RedHatManual:

"The next dialog presents a list of most of the disk partitions on your
system (including MS-DOS and other partitions Linux can read), giving
you the opportunity to assign other partitions to different parts of the
filesystem. The partitions you assign will be automatically mounted when
your Red Hat Linux system boots. Select the partition you wish to assign
and press [Enter] (or choose Edit); then enter the mount point for that
partition, e.g., /usr (see Figure 12)."

So, is the "mount point" the name of the partition, which I assigned
when formatting ?

Thank you
Albert

2. How can I avoid using temp files in Korn Shell?

3. LinuxPPC in Performa 6400, anyone?

4. Solaris 7/8 in Sony VAIO PCG-FX800?

5. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 installation on Performa 6400

6. Need to capture user's tty within lp's interface script!

7. Performa 6400: LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 install issues

8. X doesn't save my video settings!

9. Performa 6400 w/ linuxppc

10. LinuxPPC install on a Performa 6400/200

11. X and Mac Performa 6400/180

12. GVC Teleport 56 w/ Performa 6400

13. Linux on Performa 6400/200