starmax info?

Post by Wesley Jo » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone been running MkLinux on a StarMax?  Can you provide any
information on installation/problems?

Also, anyone know the status of 4MB of VRAM on StarMax machines,
particularly the 5000/5500 series?  I'm trying to update my Linux-pmac
for StarMax webpage (www.duke.edu/~wj/linux/)

Thanks in advance.

- Wesley

starmax info?

Post by Bob Mortense » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'm running on a Starmax 5000/275 w/ 4MB of VRAM.  I've been working
with
Anthony Tong to get the video working right, but things seem to be OK
now.
I was putting together a web page describing what I went through, but
it's only
about 1/10th done.  Here us the URL:
http://www.loop.com/~mortensen/linux.html
You'll find a kernel and patches there for the ATI video on the 5000
series.
I'm currently running X in "vmode 17 32"; it's a little slow, but not
bad.

As you'll see from my page, I found your pages very helpful and I've
been
waiting to see your updates.  Thanks for having them there, I'm not sure
I would have been able to get this far without your site.  (I've been
meaning
to send a thank you, just never enough time!  So I guess this is it. 8^)

Let me know if you need more info or anything.

> Has anyone been running MkLinux on a StarMax?  Can you provide any
> information on installation/problems?

> Also, anyone know the status of 4MB of VRAM on StarMax machines,
> particularly the 5000/5500 series?  I'm trying to update my Linux-pmac
> for StarMax webpage (www.duke.edu/~wj/linux/)

> Thanks in advance.

> - Wesley

1. Quest for a working network card on a Starmax

I have been attempting to get linuxppc 2000 to work on a Starmax 4000/200.
It came with an AsanteFAST 10/100 PCI NIC, which worked with the MAC o/s.
for me and post it for download (MANY THANKS!).  Unfortunately, card still
does not work.  I have tried every card in my possesion, only the asante is
recognized as existing by  linuxppc, but it does not work. (I do not even
get link integrity, and I am using DHCP, so it is unlikely to be a
configuration issue).

My question - What network card will work with the kernel of linuxppc2000
straight out of the box?  Except for this problem the system runs fine, it
is frustrating being this close.

I am not using  Q4, I cannot get yaboot to work with that distribution.

Robert Herbin

2. Changing the name of a running process (SVR4)

3. Ethernet Cards on a Starmax 4400

4. Idiot needs serial help please ?

5. Starmax 5000 ethernet support on MkLinux?

6. DiskSuite Mirroring two different size drives

7. Whick brand of linux for starmax?

8. Good book on user management

9. Challenge Question: LinuxPPC and Starmax

10. Starmax 3000/180, problems with open firmware

11. Quantum Fireball in Starmax 4200 - Format Failure

12. Having bad video problems with Starmax.

13. Using PC Matrox MMII PCI in a Starmax