MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by root » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When I run startmol, I pages of the following message:

Unmapped RAM-write-access <hex address>

after a while (a few minutes), the message changes to:

Unimplemented load instruction

and after seeing that for a while, and a black Mac-on-linux
window, I kill it.

Here are more details of my setup:

/dev/hda - HFS+ - Mac OS 8.6 (with 1.8.1 ROM)

/dev/hdb5 - HFS - Mac OS 8.6 (same as on hda - I tried putting
Mac OS on this partition because it's HFS and thought it might
help running MOL)

/dev/hdb6 - ext2 - Linux PPC 1999/2000 hybrid
        - uses 2.2.15pre3 kernel

mol 0.9.41

It sounds that some people out there got MOL to work on a G4.
What should the processor number in /etc/molrc be?

Is there any hope, or should I go outside and get some fresh air?
:-)

Thanks,

Rog

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Tom Stille » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>When I run startmol, I pages of the following message:

>Unmapped RAM-write-access <hex address>

>after a while (a few minutes), the message changes to:

>Unimplemented load instruction

>and after seeing that for a while, and a black Mac-on-linux
>window, I kill it.

>Here are more details of my setup:

>/dev/hda - HFS+ - Mac OS 8.6 (with 1.8.1 ROM)

>/dev/hdb5 - HFS - Mac OS 8.6 (same as on hda - I tried putting
>Mac OS on this partition because it's HFS and thought it might
>help running MOL)

>/dev/hdb6 - ext2 - Linux PPC 1999/2000 hybrid
>    - uses 2.2.15pre3 kernel

>mol 0.9.41

>It sounds that some people out there got MOL to work on a G4.
>What should the processor number in /etc/molrc be?

Did you copy the Mac OS ROM from your 8.6 CD or update file?  I had
similar problems until I got the correct Mac OS ROM file.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Clifford T. Matthe » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 William> Roger said:
 >> It sounds that some people out there got MOL to work on a G4.
 >> What should the processor number in /etc/molrc be?

 William> That's not the impression I got from the MoL website last I
 William> was there----G4s (7500?) chips are not on the short list of
 William> supported CPUs.

 William> In the meanwhile, one can try outARDI's Executor,
 William> <www.ardi.com> which runs M68K apps well enough, and has the
 William> beginnings of PPC support. Disclaimer: Commercial software,
 William> Cliff Mattthews is a fellow NeXT-refugee, and I've been
 William> helping with the testing, etc.

Hmmm...

I'd recommend waiting for *at the very least* one more revision, and
even then be aware that our support for native PPC apps is pre-alpha.

Our web-site is currently serving 2.1pr8.  2.1pr9 should be out
sometime early this week.  <http://www.ardi.com/powerpc.html> gives a
little background as to what we're up to.  It says, in part:

        "Although most apps will die, if you're really curious and you
        have Linux running on a PowerPC system, you can experiment
        with our [[demo version of Executor for the PowerPC]].

        Most of the work we will be doing in on our PowerPC port in
        March and April is aimed at demonstrating key points to
        specific investors and partners. As such, [...] the
        progress we make may not be in areas that a potential end-user
        is directly concerned with"...

2.1pr9 is still not usable for most tasks, but it does run a few more
applications than 2.1pr8 does, and it has the beginnings of an "-afpd"
switch which allows you to mount your HFS partitions using the "afpd"
mount option and have Executor use the files that it finds there.
However, this is sufficiently experimental that I CURRENTLY MOUNT MY
PARTITIONS READ-ONLY while I'm debugging the "-afpd" switch.

I will post more information about Executor 2.1pr9 after it's
released, including how to set things up so you can try the "-afpd"
switch and what kind of bug-reports we're interested in at the
pre-alpha level.

Regards,

Founder,
ARDI

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by William F. Ada » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Roger said:

Quote:>It sounds that some people out there got MOL to work on a G4.
>What should the processor number in /etc/molrc be?

That's not the impression I got from the MoL website last I was there----G4s
(7500?) chips are not on the short list of supported CPUs.

In the meanwhile, one can try outARDI's Executor, <www.ardi.com> which runs
M68K apps well enough, and has the beginnings of PPC support. Disclaimer:
Commercial software,
 Cliff Mattthews is a fellow NeXT-refugee, and I've been helping with the
testing, etc.

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Laurent Charbonne » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> When I run startmol, I pages of the following message:

> Unmapped RAM-write-access <hex address>

> after a while (a few minutes), the message changes to:

> Unimplemented load instruction

> and after seeing that for a while, and a black Mac-on-linux
> window, I kill it.

> Here are more details of my setup:

> /dev/hda - HFS+ - Mac OS 8.6 (with 1.8.1 ROM)

> /dev/hdb5 - HFS - Mac OS 8.6 (same as on hda - I tried putting
> Mac OS on this partition because it's HFS and thought it might
> help running MOL)

> /dev/hdb6 - ext2 - Linux PPC 1999/2000 hybrid
>         - uses 2.2.15pre3 kernel

> mol 0.9.41

> It sounds that some people out there got MOL to work on a G4.
> What should the processor number in /etc/molrc be?

> Is there any hope, or should I go outside and get some fresh air?
> :-)

> Thanks,

> Rog

I had the same problem. Check that your HFS partition is NOT mounted
under linux.

Laurent.

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Michael Schmit » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > /dev/hda - HFS+ - Mac OS 8.6 (with 1.8.1 ROM)

> > /dev/hdb5 - HFS - Mac OS 8.6 (same as on hda - I tried putting
> > Mac OS on this partition because it's HFS and thought it might
> > help running MOL)

> I had the same problem. Check that your HFS partition is NOT mounted
> under linux.

That would be a bad thing indeed (the MOL docs mention that such a
partition would be readonly in MacOS) but would only affect hdb5. MOL
should boot fine on the HFS+ partition even when the HFS partition is
still mounted from Linux.

        Michael

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Clifford T. Matthe » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

our software which allows some Macintosh applications to run without
any software from Apple (i.e. no ROMs, ROM images, System files,
etc.).

In reply I pointed out that most people would be better served by MOL,
and suggested that even the most curious wait for 2.1pr9.

Although still pre-alpha, 2.1pr9 is now on our web-site.

<http://www.ardi.com/powerpc.html> explains the status of our PowerPC
port and <http://www.ardi.com/ppc_hints.html> provides a couple of
tips for people who want to play now, rather than later.

Regards,

Founder,
ARDI

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by Alex Ric » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Is there any hope, or should I go outside and get some fresh air?
> :-)

Works great on my G4/350 desktop. Try the other suggestions in this thread.
Fresh air wouldn't hurt either. <opens window, gulp, gulp gulp>

--
// Alex Rice

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

alrice said:

Quote:>Works great on my G4/350 desktop. Try the other suggestions in this thread.

I went back and looked, and the only suggestions were to not mount the HFS
partition (but another person said that didn't matter) and to use the up-dated
Mac OS ROM.

I'm not mounting any of my Mac partitions, save fro my /exchange, and I am
using the 1.8.1 Mac OS ROM d/l'd from Apple's site....

I've a G4/400 Yikes! which should be just like your 350, save for the speed
bump....

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

MOL on PCI G4 - doesn't work

Post by William F. Ada » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I think the final issue is one of matching

Mac OS Version
machine type
ROM version used (in MOL).

I now have:
Mac OS 8.6
400MHz G4 Yikes!
and the _1.6_ ROM---the 1.8.1 wouldn't work.

I'm troubleshooting extension conflicts now

but it's booting.

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

1. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

bffcreate first restores all images from the tape to /tmp (default)
and than does a 'restore -p' to pack them in big files and place these
files in /usr/sys/inst.images. It's much more easier to use 'dd' to
copy the files directly from the tape to disk. The only thing you have
to take care about it the naming. If all images are copied run 'inutoc'
on the directory were you placed your files this will create the
table of contents files '.toc'.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. can someone help me please

3. G4 Dual booting OK, but keyboard doesn't work

4. CVS repository for common files

5. Mouse doesn't work on G4/AGP

6. ibmcxx compiler makefiles

7. Calling ALL Sun/Web Server gurus

8. MOL: can't load mol.o

9. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

10. : PLIP start up doesn't report problems but also doesn't work?

11. 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work

12. Future Domain TMC-3260 PCI SCSI controller doesn't work