YDL Installer won't see internal Mac scsi drive to install onto...

YDL Installer won't see internal Mac scsi drive to install onto...

Post by Steve Margulie » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have a new G3 with an adaptec 3950u2b scsi card,
but the Linux installer doesn't see the internal drive.
If I hookup an external drive to the same card, the installer can see that
just fine.
The internal drive has been formatted into 2 partions:
a 4gb MacOS hfs partition
a 4gb unallocated partition.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Steve Margulies
Macintosh Systems Administrator

Post by Frank Laza » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I have a new G3 with an adaptec 3950u2b scsi card,
> but the Linux installer doesn't see the internal drive.
> If I hookup an external drive to the same card, the installer can see that
> just fine.
> The internal drive has been formatted into 2 partions:
> a 4gb MacOS hfs partition
> a 4gb unallocated partition.

> What am I doing wrong?

You should have

a.  Checked "use ram disk" in the BootX box

b.  run fdisk to set up your partitions.

For some curious reason, Yellowdog left out a crucial install manual
from the CD.  You can pick it up from the YDL website.  It has a fairly
decent walkthrough.  (Acrobat reader required)

1. Newbie Help w/install: installer won't see CD drive

Any help would be appreciated:

I'm trying to install MkLinux on a Macintosh 8100 and have followed the
built-in instructions all the way.  After booting w/the MkLinux booter, it
should see my SCSI CD drive by default, but it doesn't.  I get an error
message that the "bootstrap.conf" file can't be found.  I've tried monkeying
around with the "lilo.conf" file specifications for the CD address, but
nothing makes a difference.

Any feedback would be better than what I have....thanks!

2. nistnet build problems

3. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

4. How do I "stop + a" on Hyperterm?

5. NEW installer.coff [was: Q: installer 'Components to Install' ]

6. VC keys and XFree86 conflict?

7. Mac Hard Drive won't initialize in prep for MkLinux install

8. fix compile breakage on drivers/scsi/ibmmca.c

9. Win sees Linux, but Mac doesn't

10. DR3.0 RH Installer won't recognize SCSI disk partition

11. Two internal SCSI hard drives in a Mac II?

12. Trouble installing redhat 8.0 - installer won't accept keyboard input

13. #%*%@# YDL won't install