OF booting YellowDog on pm 7300/200 - Dan, you there?

OF booting YellowDog on pm 7300/200 - Dan, you there?

Post by root » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten YellowDog booting from OF on a 7300?
We have 12 of them that will no longer run our production software, and
want them for YDL to perform Atalk - Windoze serving, perl script
execution, etc.
Being there is only 4 of us in Tech Services we need them to boot
directly into YellowDog in case we have to do things remotely, which
happens all to often in the heat of our daily production cycle(which is
in the very late evening), a peripheral personnel thing, you see. At any
rate I am tired of pulling the battery out after every unsuccessful
attempt at setting boot variables, and wondering if quik did anything.
If someone has a step by step on this I will put you in my will.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Parker

OF booting YellowDog on pm 7300/200 - Dan, you there?

Post by Dan Burca » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi Parker,

I suggest you try the miBoot program written by the BootX author. It is a
bootloader for older Macs that does not require MacOS. You can get it as
part of the brand new BootX 1.2 package available at:
http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

Quote:> Has anyone gotten YellowDog booting from OF on a 7300?
> We have 12 of them that will no longer run our production software, and
> want them for YDL to perform Atalk - Windoze serving, perl script
> execution, etc.
> Being there is only 4 of us in Tech Services we need them to boot
> directly into YellowDog in case we have to do things remotely, which
> happens all to often in the heat of our daily production cycle(which is
> in the very late evening), a peripheral personnel thing, you see. At any
> rate I am tired of pulling the battery out after every unsuccessful
> attempt at setting boot variables, and wondering if quik did anything.
> If someone has a step by step on this I will put you in my will.
> Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
> Parker

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/

1. 7300/200 debian AppleVision 17 monitor - X 3.3.6 woes

Greetings all!

I have a Power Mac 7300/200, debian installed, and X 3.3.6.

I'm using the FBDev xserver, as indicated.

The monitor settings are:

HorizSync  30-80
VertRefresh  40-120

I have not changed the modelines yet from the defaults there in
XF86Config.

One:  my ADB mouse does not work.  dmesg says that it got detected,
though.  I've tried the tips on a website or two, to no avail.

Two:  it looks like the screen, when I do startx, shows up as a 640
width, but it seems to be only the top 1/4 of the screen.  the debian
background is stretched across this screen (virtual?)  and of course,
since the mouse does not work, I have to ctrl-cmd-F1 to get out.

are my monitor settings incorrect?  Special modelines to use?  anyone
using this combo successfully?  any ideas?

Thanks,
Larry

2. unsetting TASK_RUNNING

3. Power Mac 7300/200

4. linking libs (ld.so)

5. Compaq Hard Drive in a 7300/200 with SuSE 7.0

6. Howto turn off the energy saving feature

7. Newbie Question:Epson 740 on 7300/200(ADB)

8. Mail Forwarding with UNIX?

9. 7300/200

10. Debian 3 r1 (Woody) PowerMac 7300/200 Sound?

11. Recc. Linux dist. f/ PowerMac 7300/200

12. MkLinux on 7300/200

13. NEWBIE: PPC 7300/200 and linux