How to (safely) test kernel with MkL and Nubus Mac?

How to (safely) test kernel with MkL and Nubus Mac?

Post by Steven Ka » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I downloaded the Generic 05 kernel/server pair from:

http://globegate.utm.edu/MkLinux/

and I want to try them on my 6100/Newer210 running MkL DR3. How do I
install them? I think I can figure out where vmlinux goes, but where do
I put the new Mach_Kernel? Do I have to edit any configuration files?

If it bombs, I need to be able to boot MkLinux from another / partition
(since I got no floppy support) with enough stuff running so that I can
put the old kernel/server back. Am I right? Or is there another way to
do it?

Assuming that I do, what's the minimum amount of stuff I need to install
on this emergency partition? Can I "install" it just by making a UNIX
partition in pdisk and then copying stuff over? Or do I need to use the
whole MkLinux/RedHat installer thing? I'd like to make this as compact
and simple as possible, since I'm making up a whole partition just for
insurance.

Many thanks!
--
A rich man who hailed from Seattle               #```````
Wrote Win95 to do battle,                        #  ```````

http://www.kan.org                   ~                      .  #H2O##
Everybody S.H.I.N.E.             ~                            .#POLO#
Support Heterogeneity In Networked Environments      ~    ~    ######

Post by James Guthol » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I downloaded the Generic 05 kernel/server pair from:

>http://www.veryComputer.com/

>and I want to try them on my 6100/Newer210 running MkL DR3. How do I
>install them? I think I can figure out where vmlinux goes, but where do
>I put the new Mach_Kernel? Do I have to edit any configuration files?

>If it bombs, I need to be able to boot MkLinux from another / partition
>(since I got no floppy support) with enough stuff running so that I can
>put the old kernel/server back. Am I right? Or is there another way to
>do it?

>Assuming that I do, what's the minimum amount of stuff I need to install
>on this emergency partition? Can I "install" it just by making a UNIX
>partition in pdisk and then copying stuff over? Or do I need to use the
>whole MkLinux/RedHat installer thing? I'd like to make this as compact
>and simple as possible, since I'm making up a whole partition just for
>insurance.

>Many thanks!

The latest is Generic 07. Check out
ftp://globegate.utm.edu/pub/MkLinux/kernels/stable/
I have not tried it yet. I'm running Generic 06 on a 6100 w/Newer210

The Mach Kernel goes in the extensions folder under MacOS. After
gunzipping, be sure the name is "Mach Kernel" without the quotes, not
Mach_Kernel.

IMHO the easiest way to experiment with servers is to put the entire
mach_servers directory on a hfs partition, this way if you*something
up with a new vmlinux you can just put the old one back from MacOS. If you
do this you'll need to edit lilo.conf.

Hope this helps, James

Remove the dashes to reply

Post by Steven Ka » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> >I downloaded the Generic 05 kernel/server pair from:

> >http://www.veryComputer.com/

> >and I want to try them on my 6100/Newer210 running MkL DR3. How do I
> >install them? I think I can figure out where vmlinux goes, but where do
> >I put the new Mach_Kernel? Do I have to edit any configuration files?
[snip]

> The latest is Generic 07. Check out
> ftp://globegate.utm.edu/pub/MkLinux/kernels/stable/
> I have not tried it yet. I'm running Generic 06 on a 6100 w/Newer210

> The Mach Kernel goes in the extensions folder under MacOS. After
> gunzipping, be sure the name is "Mach Kernel" without the quotes, not
> Mach_Kernel.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't find a description of the 07
kernel/server pair. Does it provide floppy support for Nubus Macs?

Also, being new to this whole thing, I'm not sure as to what needs to be
replaced. I noticed there's a System.map in the same directory. Do I
need to replace that, too?

Quote:> IMHO the easiest way to experiment with servers is to put the entire
> mach_servers directory on a hfs partition, this way if you*something
> up with a new vmlinux you can just put the old one back from MacOS. If you
> do this you'll need to edit lilo.conf.

Right now my lilo.conf file specifies only the location of my root
device. What else do I put here if I move the mach_servers directory to
my HFS volume? After the MkLinux booter loads the kernel and finds the
mach_servers stuff, what tells it how to find the rest of the
filesystems?

I guess I need a sort of step-by-step on what to place where. Sorry to
be obtuse, but I've never replaced a kernel before. Thanks!
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/                   ~                      .  #H2O##

Post by James Guthol » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> >I downloaded the Generic 05 kernel/server pair from:

>> >http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> >and I want to try them on my 6100/Newer210 running MkL DR3. How do I
>> >install them? I think I can figure out where vmlinux goes, but where do
>> >I put the new Mach_Kernel? Do I have to edit any configuration files?
>[snip]

>> The latest is Generic 07. Check out
>> ftp://globegate.utm.edu/pub/MkLinux/kernels/stable/
>> I have not tried it yet. I'm running Generic 06 on a 6100 w/Newer210

>> The Mach Kernel goes in the extensions folder under MacOS. After
>> gunzipping, be sure the name is "Mach Kernel" without the quotes, not
>> Mach_Kernel.

>Thanks for the response. I couldn't find a description of the 07
>kernel/server pair. Does it provide floppy support for Nubus Macs?

IIRC, no.

Quote:>Also, being new to this whole thing, I'm not sure as to what needs to be
>replaced. I noticed there's a System.map in the same directory. Do I
>need to replace that, too?

>> IMHO the easiest way to experiment with servers is to put the entire
>> mach_servers directory on a hfs partition, this way if you*
>something
>> up with a new vmlinux you can just put the old one back from MacOS. If
>you
>> do this you'll need to edit lilo.conf.

>Right now my lilo.conf file specifies only the location of my root
>device. What else do I put here if I move the mach_servers directory to
>my HFS volume? After the MkLinux booter loads the kernel and finds the
>mach_servers stuff, what tells it how to find the rest of the
>filesystems?

If the mach_servers directory is on a hfs partition then change the line in
lilo.conf to point to that partition. For example, my lilo points to
/dev/sda8 which is a hfs partition. My mk root partition is /dev/sda6. Look
at bootstrap.conf in the mach_servers directory, it specifies the location
of the mk root device.

Quote:>I guess I need a sort of step-by-step on what to place where. Sorry to
>be obtuse, but I've never replaced a kernel before. Thanks!

So here is the cookbook,

copy the entire mach_servers directory from your mk root partition to a hfs
partition. (linuxdisks might work for this)

replace vmlinux and system.map with new versions on the hfs partition.

backup your lilo.conf.

change linux.conf to point to the hfs partition.

replace Mach Kernel in extensions folder.

boot MkLinux.

If something fails, just revert to your old lilo.conf & Mach Kernel. The
mach_servers directory on the mk root partition was never changed.

Have fun, break something.
James
remove the dashes to reply

1. Safely Testing Kernels on Headless Machines

What is the best way to test a newly built kernel without installing
it in LILO?  My situation is this:  I have an appliance (Toshiba
Magnia SG20, fwiw) with a working kernel that I wish to upgrade.
There is no keyboard, mouse, USB or any other input device that can be
used to access the LILO boot prompt, so the network driver and various
daemons MUST come up correctly or I will be locked out.  I would
prefer to avoid moving the hard drive to another machine if I mess up
the kernel build, forget to include a crucial module, or whatever, and
need to revert to the working kernel.

Or, is there any way of telling LILO to boot a given kernel once, then
revert to a default the next time, in case it fails?

I've seen the kexec patch, but this requires that I build it into a
kernel to begin with.

--J

2. Semaphores handling

3. Linux-PPC on Nubus Power Mac?

4. UNIX - Netware connectivity

5. MKLInux on NuBus Macs

6. Bootstrap failure

7. Linux on Nubus Power Mac?

8. use PPP with minicom

9. linuxppc on NuBus Mac?

10. test test test test test test test

11. LinuxPPC and NuBus Macs...

12. LinuxPPC on NuBus Macs?

13. How to safely test USB connector installation