No subject was specified.

Post by Firezdo » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Dear fellow MKLinux users,
    When you get an upgrade to Linux do you just need new System files,
like MKLinux booter, or do  you need to reinstall everything?

No subject was specified.

Post by jose nazar » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: Dear fellow MKLinux users,
:     When you get an upgrade to Linux do you just need new System files,
: like MKLinux booter, or do  you need to reinstall everything?

you just need to update the specified files, for MkLinux it's often the
kernel (vmlinux), the Mach Kernel and the booter extension. no need to
reinstall the whole system. for some updates (like moving to shared libs)
you have to reinstall some packages with the new ones, but that's minor and
trivial.

jose nazario
dept of biochemistry
case western reserve university

No subject was specified.

Post by Jens Christian Restemeie » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Dear fellow MKLinux users,
>     When you get an upgrade to Linux do you just need new System files,
> like MKLinux booter, or do  you need to reinstall everything?

You'll need only the new kernal, and a few utils. All the rest is the
same.
There are small differences with the order of devices (cua0/cua1 and the
scsi-devices), so you'll have to fix some symlinks and scripts.

Look on www.linuxppc.org, I think they have a small document about that
issue.

                        Jens Ch. Restemeier

--
----
"Five to one against and falling ...  four to one against and falling