linuxppc on 7200

Post by Andy Vandenbergh » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I installed linuxppc (kernel 2.2.0, cdrom release 4) on my 7200/90 and it's
cool but i have 4 problems:

1) keyboard: i use a french azerty keyboard, but linux uses qwerty. So i
have to blindtype the missing letters. How do I install another keyboard
mapping ?

2) I use a global village teleport platinum modem. How do i get linux (kde
gui) to recognize it ? currently i am writing this in outlook express on the
mac side but i'd really like to try out surfing/mailing from linux.

3) howdo i print to the color stylewriter 1500 on the printer port ?

4) this is just a quirk: when the zip drive is on, it sits on scsi id 3.
that makes it /dev/sdb. the hard disk on which linux partitions are
installed is then /dev/sdc because it is scsi6. consequence : kernel panic
at startup and my mac reboots; then comes up the startupscreen, and then
bootx, then again when i press <linux> i get kernel panic and rebooting. Its
a loop. the only solution is to switch off the zip drive and reboot.
everything is okido.
So how do I use zip drives under linux ? below is my pdisk output when the
zip is off.

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi0.0' (/dev/sda)
 #:                type name             length   base    ( size )

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=1065234 (520.1M)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-

pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.1'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.2'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.3'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.4'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.5'

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi0.6' (/dev/sdb)
 #:                type name              length   base    ( size )

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=8418815 (4.0G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-

Regards,

Andreas Vandenberghe

**choose your life**

linuxppc on 7200

Post by Antoine Duchate » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> How do I install another keyboard mapping ?

Have a look at this page: everything is explained.
http://www.inforoute.capway.com/le2/linux.html

Quote:> 2) I use a global village teleport platinum modem. How do i get linux (kde
> gui) to recognize it ?

Sounds like it is a serial modem (what's nice). You could try to use
ezppp. I never tried but people say it works well.

Quote:> 3) howdo i print to the color stylewriter 1500 on the printer port ?

That's not an easy one. Possibly using ghostscript.

Quote:> So how do I use zip drives under linux ?

Guess you could use BootX to boot linux and change the boot device
depending on wether your zip is plugged in or not. Have a look at:

http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/

if you don't know the joy of BootX yet.

For more info, you can post as well to fr.comp.os.unix.mac (very high
level french speaking list).

Antoine