HFS+ + MkLinux Booter = unmounted volumes

HFS+ + MkLinux Booter = unmounted volumes

Post by Dan Caughert » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

TWIMC --

This is a follow-up to my previous question. I found
the answer to my problems, and felt compelled to share.

I just verified this last night, as others have in the
MkLinux-PPC listservs:  There is an extension conflict
between the MkLinux Booter and HFS+ formatted volumes
(maybe with the Text Encoding Converter library perhaps?).

(Of course, b/c HFS+ is a new introduction to the world,
your MkLinux or LinuxPPC setup will NOT be able to
read an HFS+ volume is anyway, even if "hmount" succeeds.
The last paragraph describes a problem when booting
MacOS 8.1, NOT Linux.)

The only fix available right now (I'd be surprised if
the Apple/OSF team wasn't working on something as I
write this) is to disable the MkLinux Booter and reboot.

Just so you know; more later as this issue develops,
--  Dan C.

| Dan Caugherty                  | All opinions herein are MINE only.|
| Member of Sci. Staff, Irritant,| Remove dog from address to reply. |
| and Collector of Spare Change  |                                   |

Post by R Shapi » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I just verified this last night, as others have in the
> MkLinux-PPC listservs:  There is an extension conflict
> between the MkLinux Booter and HFS+ formatted volumes

In some configurations, maybe, but not in general. The latest mklinux
booter (1.2.9a) isn't causing me any difficulties at all, and all of my
MacOS volumes are hfs+. I can happily boot either MacOS or mklinux (or
linux-pmac, but that's another story).

Quote:> The only fix available right now (I'd be surprised if
> the Apple/OSF team wasn't working on something as I
> write this) is to disable the MkLinux Booter and reboot.

> Just so you know; more later as this issue develops,

There certainly doesn't seem to be any fundamental conflict between the
mklinux booter and hfs+. I'm not doing any magic or anything special at
all: I'm running a pretty generic system all around. You may want to look
more closely at other aspects of your specific configuration.

HFS+ + MkLinux Booter = unmounted volumes

Post by Dan Caughert » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

(snip)
> >                      There is an extension conflict
> > between the MkLinux Booter and HFS+ formatted volumes
(snip)
> There certainly doesn't seem to be any fundamental conflict between the
> mklinux booter and hfs+.

Hmm.

Well, I'm not the only soul to describe this problem, actually.
It seems to that some other variable is mucking the equation:

HFS+ + MkL_Booter + Something_Evil = Unmounted_volumes

But I don't know what.

I'll try sometime in the next few days to investigate this
further, and post my results. For the record, I'm running MkL on
a PowerCenter Pro 180..

--

| Dan Caugherty                  | All opinions herein are MINE only.|
| Member of Sci. Staff, Irritant,| Remove dog from address to reply. |
| and Collector of Spare Change  |                                   |

HFS+ + MkLinux Booter = unmounted volumes

Post by Dan and Jill Caughert » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

(snip)

Quote:> Well, I'm not the only soul to describe this problem, actually.
> It seems to that some other variable is mucking the equation:
> HFS+ + MkL_Booter + Something_Evil = Unmounted_volumes
(snip)
> I'll try sometime in the next few days to investigate this
> further, and post my results. For the record, I'm running MkL on
> a PowerCenter Pro 180..

Well, I did investigate this.  And you better sit down and
read this entire post.

After various MkLinux Booter failures, I changed my lone HFS+
partition back to HFS Standard.  And, lo and behold, MkL booted
rather nicely.  (This followed aborted attempts to boot with
the monolithic kernel setup.)

Anyway, I got a rude surprise when MkL booted again: most of
the inodes in my /usr partition and some in root were completely
hosed!!!  This was a major corruption problem! I had to reinstall
everything from the MkL 2.1r0 CDs, the various updates, etc. and
thanked &diety; that we had a 2nd dialup line here in our ba*t
home office.  (And that what little data there was was backed
up at various locations.)

As you can tell, the system is approaching its former self slowly
and painfully.  So, I can't admonish you enough:

IF YOU ARE USING HFS+ WITH THE LATEST BOOTER, YOU ARE IN EFFECT
PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR FILESYSTEMS.

Sorry for yelling.  I'm kinda annoyed at what I had to go through
(such as an entire day of work becoming a complete wash-out, not
to mention being glued to this keyboard all weekend).

Attention MkLinux team:  I don't have a partitioning layout
map readily available (I'll need to boot up on MacOS and run
FWB HDT to get it).  If you want one for debugging purposes,

word and it's yours..

=-----------------------------------------------------------=

|  remove nonsense to reply - and, for all you spambots:    |
=-----------------------------------------------------------=

HFS+ + MkLinux Booter = unmounted volumes

Post by Mirko R » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, HFS+ volumes causes the mklinux booter to hang the system
on bootup on my 6100, but I worked around the problem
putting the MkBooter the kernel and all the necessary stuff
on a zip cartridge where I put my old trusty minimal
system 7.1.2.
It occupies a little more than 2 MB on disk and when I want
to boot MkLinux I just restart holding down
the alt,apple,shift,backspace keys to boot from the external
zip. It works.

Post by Dan Caughert » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi, HFS+ volumes causes the mklinux booter to hang the system
> on bootup on my 6100, but I worked around the problem
> putting the MkBooter the kernel and all the necessary stuff
> on a zip cartridge where I put my old trusty minimal
> system 7.1.2.

The "boot on removable media" idea has come up before.

Quote:> It occupies a little more than 2 MB on disk and when I want
> to boot MkLinux I just restart holding down
> the alt,apple,shift,backspace keys to boot from the external
> zip. It works.

I don't doubt it, mind you, but not booting up on fixed disks
properly is still a bug (with a potentially painful bite).

Thx,

| Dan Caugherty                  | All opinions herein are MINE only.|
| Member of Sci. Staff, Irritant,| Remove dog from address to reply. |
| and Collector of Spare Change  |                                   |

1. HFS volume becomes HFS+ volume after running Darwin

After installation of Darwin on my Power Computing Powercenter Pro 210
MHz and running it for th  e first time, one of my HFS volumes got
corrupted.

I tried to fix it with Norton Utilies 5.02 and now it's a HFS+
partition. All applications give a -199 error when run: the resource
forks are damaged.

The strangest thing is that when I run SoftRaid 2.22 it says that the
disk is still a HFS disk, but when i do Get Info I it says Mac OS
Extended.

Technical Information:
- 1 Adaptec 2940UW flashed to Powerdomain 2940UW for the mac.
- The volume that is now Extended resides on the adaptec SCSI bus.

- The volume where Darwin is installed on (HFS+) is attached to the
internal SCSI Bus.

How do I get my Extended volume back to the old HFS volume and fix the
now broken applications?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

2. Library Problems

3. Crash with MkLinux Booter 1.2.9a

4. 2.0.33 kernel building problems

5. Boot LinuxPPC via MkLinux booter?

6. Keyboards without MS key cap

7. booter 1.2.9 && 1.2.9a not booting mklinux with vm on

8. smapd and provider

9. MkLinux Booter source

10. amd, hfs and mklinux ppc

11. MkLinux & HFS+

12. Can't run MkLinux from HFS partition

13. MkLinux DR3 and mounting HFS ...