New G3 and LinuxPPC-1999 Install

New G3 and LinuxPPC-1999 Install

Post by Marc Roger » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00



O.K. I give up. I am trying to install linuxPPC on my G3 Tower Blue and
White. I just bought it yesterday. It has the new firmware updates etc. When
I attempt to run Linux for the first time from the Bootx window with either
the LinuxPPC-Standard kernel of the Linux-final kernel, to actually install
the source, the screen changes to black and then hangs with:

Booting...

That's it.

When I tried a precompiled G3 Kernel, it starts to load, the Penguin comes
up in the corner etc. Then it complains about the USB-HUB version not
compatible tries about 10 times with this message and then goes into a
kernel panic.

What's up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)


 
 
 

New G3 and LinuxPPC-1999 Install

Post by Steve H » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00




> O.K. I give up. I am trying to install linuxPPC on my G3 Tower Blue and
> White. I just bought it yesterday. It has the new firmware updates etc. When
> I attempt to run Linux for the first time from the Bootx window with either
> the LinuxPPC-Standard kernel of the Linux-final kernel, to actually install
> the source, the screen changes to black and then hangs with:

> Booting...

> That's it.

Oh, that.

You need to have selected the "Blue&White G3 kernal".

Anything else, other than booting vmunix off the CD, just
hangs at that point.

Quote:> When I tried a precompiled G3 Kernel, it starts to load, the Penguin comes
> up in the corner etc. Then it complains about the USB-HUB version not
> compatible tries about 10 times with this message and then goes into a
> kernel panic.

Have you got a third-party hub attached?

I had problems installing with the standard USB keyboard,
so I replaced it with my old Extended Keyboard II. No
problems from that point, other my own personal boneheaded
mistakes.

> What's up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)




 
 
 

New G3 and LinuxPPC-1999 Install

Post by Robert Sha » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Hi Marc,

Try visiting my web-site URL listed below. It's dedicated to Linux installation
on the B&W G3 machines. You should find everything you need to get it going
there.

regards,
-- Robert

http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/


> O.K. I give up. I am trying to install linuxPPC on my G3 Tower Blue and
> White. I just bought it yesterday. It has the new firmware updates etc. When
> I attempt to run Linux for the first time from the Bootx window with either
> the LinuxPPC-Standard kernel of the Linux-final kernel, to actually install
> the source, the screen changes to black and then hangs with:

> Booting...

> That's it.

> When I tried a precompiled G3 Kernel, it starts to load, the Penguin comes
> up in the corner etc. Then it complains about the USB-HUB version not
> compatible tries about 10 times with this message and then goes into a
> kernel panic.

> What's up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)



 
 
 

New G3 and LinuxPPC-1999 Install

Post by Michael Gog » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00


Hi Folks,

the homepage from Robert Shaw is very good because I have the same problem
by installing the LinuxPPC V5 on my blue&white Rev. 2 Maschine (450Mhz) and
I didn't find solution for my problem.

With the kernel 2.2.10 the installer can't find the usb mouse and keyboard.
With the kernel 2.2.6 and the option "noautotune" I get errors for the usb.

Who can help me by handling this problem.

mfG

van Gogh

----------


> Hi Marc,

> Try visiting my web-site URL listed below. It's dedicated to Linux
installation
> on the B&W G3 machines. You should find everything you need to get it going
> there.

> regards,
> -- Robert

> http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/


>> O.K. I give up. I am trying to install linuxPPC on my G3 Tower Blue and
>> White. I just bought it yesterday. It has the new firmware updates etc. When
>> I attempt to run Linux for the first time from the Bootx window with either
>> the LinuxPPC-Standard kernel of the Linux-final kernel, to actually install
>> the source, the screen changes to black and then hangs with:

>> Booting...

>> That's it.

>> When I tried a precompiled G3 Kernel, it starts to load, the Penguin comes
>> up in the corner etc. Then it complains about the USB-HUB version not
>> compatible tries about 10 times with this message and then goes into a
>> kernel panic.

>> What's up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)



 
 
 

1. Q: installing LinuxPPC-1999 Updates

What's the best/safest way to install all the
updates I see at :

http://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-1999/updates/

I have the 1st revision of the LinuxPPC 1999 CD-ROM, and I've
already downloaded the latest MacOS-side installer from :

http://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-1999/install/LinuxPPC-1999-Q3.bin

(I installed it once already but have been too busy to
use it.  I'm thinking a clean install with all these
new files would be a good idea.)

Chuck

2. XF86Config for Toshiba 430 CDS

3. Blue/White 400Mhz (SCSI2) G3 and LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 Woes.

4. Error building PHP

5. video mirroring a Powerbook G3 under linuxppc 1999?

6. Line-Printer Daemon - PLEASE HELP !

7. Original Powerbook G3(Kanga) and LinuxPPC 1999

8. Why "named : ns_req : no address for root server" ?

9. New to Linux PPC (Help needed with G4 and LinuxPPC 1999)

10. Beige G3 Linux 1999 install quirk

11. New LinuxPPC 1999 R5 CD missing libutil.so.1

12. linuxppc-1999 on IBM RS/6000 43P-133 7248 (PReP)

13. LinuxPPC 1999 Install Problem