LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

Post by news.compuserve.co » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

<snip>
problems
</snip>

2 gb HD, running linux like a charm.

I had lppc running on the 1.2, but with problems, so when 2000 came out, I
low-levelled the 2 gb and split it up like this:
1 gb - linux /
50 mb - linux swap
650 mb - macos (this HD is an exact copy of the cd image, down to the icon
=])
rest - MacOS 8.something

I did the initial partitioning with disk tools - 3 partitions. I installed
macos on the 3rd (some 350 mb), copied the cd to the 2nd.
I installed the macos part, and rebooted from the 2nd partition to get into
the installer.
In the installer, I used pdisk to split the first partition into 1gb + 50
mb: I deleted the first part. (sda5), then created a new one (with "c5 p",
if I recall correctly) of 1 gb, then another one for the 50 mb. So:
sda1-4: drivers
sda5: /
sda6: swap
sda7: linux install cd
sda8: macos

I then went back to the graphical installer, told it where to do it's magic
(sda6 and 6), and went for a smoke =]

When everything was done, I rebooted (with a little macos trouble, but that
does not concern you; you have the CD) using bootx, no video checked, no
further parms. taaaa-daaaaaaaaaa! works!

Just ONE little "glitch", for which there is a workaround: Linux will
"inherit" the MacOS display resolution/depth, and because I have a non-apple
monitor, I ended up in 832x624x24bits. That is NOT fun to have on a 17" =].
Rebooted into MacOS, used a shareware thingy to zap to 1152 x something x 16
bits, start bootX and hit the linux switch... presto!

Hope my story helps you out.
oh, and you don't actually NEED to go for a smoke while it's installing.
Smoking is bad for you. =]

Max

LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

Post by Barry » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, Max.

By starting from scratch, I finally got my system to boot after
installation, and now it seems to work great.

My main issue now is that I don't know what I did differently the last
time! I'm using yaboot instead of BootX, but I don't care about MacOS
on that machine.

I think I used the LinuxPPC partition type instead of AUX on one of my
partitions. But I'm not sure why that'd make a diff.

See ya,

Barry

> <snip>
> problems
> </snip>

1.2 and
> 2 gb HD, running linux like a charm.

> I had lppc running on the 1.2, but with problems, so when 2000 came
out, I
> low-levelled the 2 gb and split it up like this:
> 1 gb - linux /
> 50 mb - linux swap
> 650 mb - macos (this HD is an exact copy of the cd image, down to the
icon
> =])
> rest - MacOS 8.something

> I did the initial partitioning with disk tools - 3 partitions. I
installed
> macos on the 3rd (some 350 mb), copied the cd to the 2nd.
> I installed the macos part, and rebooted from the 2nd partition to
get into
> the installer.
> In the installer, I used pdisk to split the first partition into 1gb
+ 50
> mb: I deleted the first part. (sda5), then created a new one
(with "c5 p",
> if I recall correctly) of 1 gb, then another one for the 50 mb. So:
> sda1-4: drivers
> sda5: /
> sda6: swap
> sda7: linux install cd
> sda8: macos

> I then went back to the graphical installer, told it where to do it's
magic
> (sda6 and 6), and went for a smoke =]

> When everything was done, I rebooted (with a little macos trouble,
but that
> does not concern you; you have the CD) using bootx, no video checked,
no
> further parms. taaaa-daaaaaaaaaa! works!

> Just ONE little "glitch", for which there is a workaround: Linux will
> "inherit" the MacOS display resolution/depth, and because I have a
non-apple
> monitor, I ended up in 832x624x24bits. That is NOT fun to have on a
17" =].
> Rebooted into MacOS, used a shareware thingy to zap to 1152 x
something x 16
> bits, start bootX and hit the linux switch... presto!

> Hope my story helps you out.
> oh, and you don't actually NEED to go for a smoke while it's
installing.
> Smoking is bad for you. =]

> Max

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

Post by Max Roelevel » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> By starting from scratch, I finally got my system to boot after
> installation, and now it seems to work great.

Good to hear (I've 'installed from scratch' at least 5 times before I got it
running like it does now)

Quote:> My main issue now is that I don't know what I did differently the last
> time! I'm using yaboot instead of BootX, but I don't care about MacOS
> on that machine.

Me neither, I've got a G4 for running MacOS. However, it's nice to have a
"spare" OS in case linux becomes FUBAR =]

Quote:> I think I used the LinuxPPC partition type instead of AUX on one of my
> partitions. But I'm not sure why that'd make a diff.

I wouldn't even know where you specify a 'linuxppc' instead of a 'aux'
partition. =]

MaX

Post by Steve Hi » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

> > By starting from scratch, I finally got my system to boot after
> > installation, and now it seems to work great.

> Good to hear (I've 'installed from scratch' at least 5 times before I got it
> running like it does now)

> > My main issue now is that I don't know what I did differently the last
> > time! I'm using yaboot instead of BootX, but I don't care about MacOS
> > on that machine.

> Me neither, I've got a G4 for running MacOS. However, it's nice to have a
> "spare" OS in case linux becomes FUBAR =]

> > I think I used the LinuxPPC partition type instead of AUX on one of my
> > partitions. But I'm not sure why that'd make a diff.

> I wouldn't even know where you specify a 'linuxppc' instead of a 'aux'
> partition. =]

The Perl-based installer lets you switch between partition formats.

LinuxPPC 2000 on 7200 won't boot after installation

Post by Pete » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

On the 7200 in particular, do check that you have the correct cache card
installed.

The wrong cache card will give very strange results, particularly for the boot
drive.

When in doubt, remove the cache card and repeat the test.

1. LinuxPPC/2000 boot problem on 7200/90

Earlier this year I installed LinuxPPC/2000 on an old PowerMac 7200/90.
I'm not using the graphic stuff, the computer just sits in the corner
and works as the mail server for vailstar.com, and as my test web server
on the intranet.  I had rebooted several times while getting it set up
the way I wanted it, and then left it alone.

It had been up for almost four months before I did something stupid and
had to restart it.  I'd been running it "headless" (no monitor or
keyboard) and I stupidly did something to bring networking down.  Well,
no problem, I thought...I'll just power it off and on again.  Only it
didn't start up, it went into a loop where it would "bong", work the
hard disk for a few seconds and go silent, then "bong" again after three
minutes.  I finally hooked up a monitor and keyboard to discover that
was getting a kernel panic, saying "no init!".

I finally got it to boot by booting from a MacOS CD and running the
"Boot Linux" control panel and adding "init = /sbin/init" to the kernel
options, and telling it the root is /dev/sdb6.  But it used to know
this.  I originally followed the instructions to get it to boot
automatically into LinuxPPC (creating the /boot partition, etc.)...where
is this information stored, and how do I put it back without
re-installing?  The files in the /boot partition don't seem to contain
anything that would control this.

Puzzled,
Kevin
--
Kevin Michael Vail | a billion stars go spinning through the night,

. . . . . . . . .  | But _in_ you is the presence that
 . . . . . . . . . | will be, when all the stars are dead.  (Rainer Maria Rilke)

2. 3c905B with kernels <= 2.0.32

3. LinuxPPC on a 7200/120 Won't boot from anything

4. routing over PPP

5. LinuxPPC on 7200 won't boot

6. Dropping telnet connections on Solaris 2.6 box

7. LinuxPPC 2000 won't boot

8. Slow File Copying

9. MKLinux DR3 won't boot on 7200

10. MkLinux on PowerMac 7200 won't boot

11. linuxppc 7200 boot problems

12. 7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(