different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

Post by Sylvain DECAU » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

...R5 install from a home burnt CDROM : the problems I still have...

All was installed fine by the X-installer (exept the enlightment config
app).
And I even managed to have accelerated display (ATI Rage Pro of a beige G3).
But I tried to launch the Xconfigurator from the single mode, and since then
the init 5 level can not launch X since it seems tat there are problems with
xfs (the font server).

I think that the X-installer and the RedHat installer install 2 different
X-server. Is it right ?

It seems that the X-installer installs Xpmac (because there was no
/etc/X11/XF86Config file), and the RedHad installs Xfree86.
Which is the more efficient for the ATI Rage Pro ?
The userguide distinguish between 2 setup processes ("Booting LinuxPPC
chapter) according to the installer chosen. Can I use Xfree86 even if I did
the standard Linux X-install ?

Thanks if s.o. could answer these questions.
Sylvain DECAUX

different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

Post by Anthony Leste » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You are right about the X servers, almost. In fact both X servers are
installed it is simply a matter of selecting one or the other.
This selection is made by the symbolic link /etc/X11/X
point it to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev for XFree86 or to
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac for the Xpmac server.

However, as soon as you launch Xconfigurator, the link is switched to
XFree86 and the XF86Config file is created. In your case the file obviously
isn't quite right so you have one of several alternatives.

1) run Xautoconfig ans see if it generates a better one
2) edit XF86Config by hand, try man XF86Config if your MANPATH is
   set correctly and good luck.
3) get a ready made XF86Config file for your machine
4) switch back to Xpmac by changing the link

Have fun

Anthony

Sylvain DECAUX a crit:

Quote:

Post by Andrew Plotki » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> You are right about the X servers, almost. In fact both X servers are
> installed it is simply a matter of selecting one or the other.
> This selection is made by the symbolic link /etc/X11/X
> point it to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev for XFree86 or to
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac for the Xpmac server.

> However, as soon as you launch Xconfigurator, the link is switched to
> XFree86 and the XF86Config file is created.

Holy Gonzaga -- that explains a great deal!

I knew that my configuration experiments had screwed up my X server, and I
have never been able to completely fix it. I had even suspected that
XConfigurator was the culprit -- but I assumed it was just messing with
the XF86Config file, not switching my X server.

Thank you for posting this.

Whoever is working on that mouse-button FAQ, please note this. As soon as
you run XConfigurator, the whole situation changes. And it does this *even
if you hit CANCEL at the first XConfigurator prompt.*

Anyone still doubt that Linux/X user-friendliness still has a bit of a way
to go? :-(

--Z

borogoves..."

Post by u.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Anthony,
> 1) Does the xpmac server also use the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and if
> so, can Xconfigurator or Xautoconfig successfully be used to configure
> video settings when using Xpmac providing the link is corrected
> afterwards? (I ask this because the new version of Xconfigurator on the
> Yellow Dog FTP site seems to detect my video settings far more
> successfully than the one installed with LinuxPPC release 5.)

no .. XF86Config is for XFree86_FBDev only .. what other files are
effected
(running Xconfigurator) besides that and /etc/inittab i'm not sure.

humm .. i updated to Xconfigurator-4.2.4-1a, run it and gave
XFree86_FBDev
another try (i'm currently running the stock Xpmac on a PB G3 Wallstr)
other
than it setting it to boot directly to X (after i selected it to not
configure
that) i didn't notice XFree86 run any better than it it had originally
.. the
gernerated XF86Config need alot of tweeking for X to boot. At least on
my
machine i find XFree86_FBDev creates to much snow and console seems very
jumpy.

Come to think about it i did notice that after running Xconfigutator the
Xterm
colours set in .Xdefaults now show up (blue and magenta) which
previously had
been absent.

Quote:> 2) In the original posting, Sylvain Decaux asks which is the more
> efficient X server for the ATI Rage Pro. Do you have any thoughts on
> that?

Poking around at both ftp.linuxppc.org and dev.linuxppc.org ...

<ftp.linuxppc.org/contrib/misc> i found a XF86Config file that alows
XFree86_FBDev to emulate Xpmac .. haven't given this a try as yet

<dev.linuxppc.org/users/dpuertas> there is a Xpmac-ATI .. the README
states that it's 'another Xserver for Linuxppc 1999' .. what difference
there
is between this and the stock Xpmac i have no idea (again haven't
tryed).

Also it was posted at Linux-AM-mac
<http://www.maclinux.de/index.shtml?lang=english>

that XFree86-3.3.4 ppc.rpm's were available for testing at:
<dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini> seems that pam-0.66-19.ppc.rpm is needed
.. i
looked but from what i could see *-18 (that comes with r5) is the most
recent ppc.rpm. Anyone know anything about this? (--force --nodeps ?)

Quote:> 3) Just an observation - I reinstalled recently using the RedHat
> installer and Xpmac wasn'nt installed. I just installed the RPM from the
> CD and changed the symbolic link to see if I have the choice without
> reinstalling again but it seems not - xinit blows out immediately with
> an error message

i did pretty much the same .. no problems here .. what error?

yrs

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond.

unit at panix dot com

Post by n.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > 1) Does the xpmac server also use the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and
> > if so, can Xconfigurator or Xautoconfig successfully be used to
> > configure video settings when using Xpmac providing the link is
> > corrected afterwards? (I ask this because the new version of
> > Xconfigurator on the
> > Yellow Dog FTP site seems to detect my video settings far more
> > successfully than the one installed with LinuxPPC release 5.)

> no .. XF86Config is for XFree86_FBDev only .. what other files are
> effected
> (running Xconfigurator) besides that and /etc/inittab i'm not sure.

> humm .. i updated to Xconfigurator-4.2.4-1a, run it and gave
> XFree86_FBDev
> another try (i'm currently running the stock Xpmac on a PB G3 Wallstr)
> other
> than it setting it to boot directly to X (after i selected it to not
> configure
> that) i didn't notice XFree86 run any better than it it had originally
> .. the
> gernerated XF86Config need alot of tweeking for X to boot. At least on
> my machine i find XFree86_FBDev creates to much snow and console seems
> very jumpy.
> Come to think about it i did notice that after running Xconfigutator
> the Xterm colours set in .Xdefaults now show up (blue and magenta)
> which previously had been absent.

> > 2) In the original posting, Sylvain Decaux asks which is the more
> > efficient X server for the ATI Rage Pro. Do you have any thoughts on
> > that?

> Poking around at both ftp.linuxppc.org and dev.linuxppc.org ...

> <ftp.linuxppc.org/contrib/misc> i found a XF86Config file that alows
> XFree86_FBDev to emulate Xpmac .. haven't given this a try as yet

> <dev.linuxppc.org/users/dpuertas> there is a Xpmac-ATI .. the README
> states that it's 'another Xserver for Linuxppc 1999' .. what
difference
> there
> is between this and the stock Xpmac i have no idea (again haven't
> tryed).

> Also it was posted at Linux-AM-mac
> <http://www.maclinux.de/index.shtml?lang=english>

> that XFree86-3.3.4 ppc.rpm's were available for testing at:
> <dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini> seems that pam-0.66-19.ppc.rpm is
needed
> .. i
> looked but from what i could see *-18 (that comes with r5) is the most
> recent ppc.rpm. Anyone know anything about this? (--force --nodeps ?)

> > 3) Just an observation - I reinstalled recently using the RedHat
> > installer and Xpmac wasn'nt installed. I just installed the RPM from
the
> > CD and changed the symbolic link to see if I have the choice without
> > reinstalling again but it seems not - xinit blows out immediately
> > with an error message

> i did pretty much the same .. no problems here .. what error?

> yrs

Sorry, was looking at the wrong notes! I can still boot into X after
redoing the link and running xinit but the keyboard mappings are totally
haywire and the USB mouse does not respond at all.
Thanks for looking into this,
Nick.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by u.. » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Also it was posted at Linux-AM-mac
> <http://www.maclinux.de/index.shtml?lang=english>

> that XFree86-3.3.4 ppc.rpm's were available for testing at:
> <dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini> seems that pam-0.66-19.ppc.rpm is needed
> .. i looked but from what i could see *-18 (that comes with r5) is the most
> recent ppc.rpm. Anyone know anything about this? (--force --nodeps ?)

UPDATE: i built pam-0.68.1 from the (rawhide) src and now XFree86-3.3.4
installs. If anyone is interested i uploaded the rpm and src.rpm to
ftp.linuxppc.org/incoming

--
cs

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond.

unit at panix dot com

different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

Post by u.. » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > Also it was posted at Linux-AM-mac
> > <http://www.maclinux.de/index.shtml?lang=english>

> > that XFree86-3.3.4 ppc.rpm's were available for testing at:
> > <dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini> seems that pam-0.66-19.ppc.rpm is needed
> > .. i looked but from what i could see *-18 (that comes with r5) is the most
> > recent ppc.rpm. Anyone know anything about this? (--force --nodeps ?)

> UPDATE: i built pam-0.68.1 from the (rawhide) src and now XFree86-3.3.4
> installs. If anyone is interested i uploaded the rpm and src.rpm to
> ftp.linuxppc.org/incoming

EPILOG: ppl should note that for some reason (a tribute to paris maybe
;)
that the XFree86-FBDev-3.3.4-2a package installs a FBDev with the name
'XF68_FBDev' (so set the links appropriatly). Xpmac-3.3.4-2a longer
emulates 2nd button with option 2 (this seems more to do with XFree86 as
i down graded Xpmac but option 2 didn't return). Also in X delete now
produces a forward delete .. which wasn't previously the case (at least
here) .. ^h ;)

--
cs

Post by n.. » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> UPDATE: i built pam-0.68.1 from the (rawhide) src and now
> XFree86-3.3.4 installs. If anyone is interested i uploaded the
> rpm and src.rpm to ftp.linuxppc.org/incoming
> --
> cs

Hmm, I wonder where they've put it? I guess they must be testing it.
Could you let me know if you see it reappear on the ftp site?
Cheers,

Post by u.. » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > UPDATE: i built pam-0.68.1 from the (rawhide) src and now
> > XFree86-3.3.4 installs. If anyone is interested i uploaded the
> > rpm and src.rpm to ftp.linuxppc.org/incoming
> > --
> > cs

> Hmm, I wonder where they've put it? I guess they must be testing it.
> Could you let me know if you see it reappear on the ftp site?

Nick.

i actually down graded to XFree86-3.3.3 as the keymapping was causing
me greif (on pbg3 walls) .. it seemed stable otherwise so you may want
to give it a go. (XFree86_FBdev has a typo > XFree68_FBdev .. so redo
the links)

--
cs

NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond via email.

Post by William Ble » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> that XFree86-3.3.4 ppc.rpm's were available for testing at:
> <dev.linuxppc.org/users/trini> seems that pam-0.66-19.ppc.rpm is needed
> .. i

I went to ftp://rawhide.redhat.com and down loaded from the source
directory the SRPM for later pam.  It compiled, with a mere 'rpm
--rebuild abc.src.rpm'.  Follow that with a 'rpm -Uvh
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ppc/abc.ppc.rpm' and things go fine.

I have found the rawhide site a good source of RPMs, once I got over the
hump of compiling and installing them myself.

Quote:> looked but from what i could see *-18 (that comes with r5) is the most
> recent ppc.rpm. Anyone know anything about this? (--force --nodeps ?)

> > 3) Just an observation - I reinstalled recently using the RedHat
> > installer and Xpmac wasn'nt installed. I just installed the RPM from the
> > CD and changed the symbolic link to see if I have the choice without
> > reinstalling again but it seems not - xinit blows out immediately with
> > an error message

> i did pretty much the same .. no problems here .. what error?

> yrs

> NOTE: remove the obvious from my address to respond.

> unit at panix dot com

different X-server between R5 X-installer and RedHat installer ??

Post by n.. » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

cs,
I tried exactly the same thing - built the later pam from rawhide - and
installed XFree86-3.3.4 using --force. It works fine but still has the
same few problems for my ATI Rage Pro as before (mainly white "sparks"
around the mouse in colour depth 16 and 32, and problems in colour depth
8 using 800x600). I still have to put "vmode 17 8" in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to get any display during the boot process, but I
guess that is nothing to do with XFree86.
Cheers,
Nick.