Kensington thinking mouse yet again!

Post by Hugh Harri » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

It's truly amazing how many messages there are about this problem in
various places, but here we go again.

I have a Kensington 4-button thinking mouse and I am running LinuxPPC
4.   Basically all the buttons do the same thing (button-1 click).
After looking throught the FAQ-O-Matic I have put the following commands
in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

mousemode 15 4
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2"

but still no action!   It used to work out of the box with mklinux
DR3.   I have also tried 2.1.125 and 2.1.131 kernels.

Everyone must be sick of seeing this question!

Thanks,
Hugh

Post by Alan Some » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> It's truly amazing how many messages there are about this problem in
> various places, but here we go again.

> I have a Kensington 4-button thinking mouse and I am running LinuxPPC
> 4.   Basically all the buttons do the same thing (button-1 click).
> After looking throught the FAQ-O-Matic I have put the following commands
> in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> mousemode 15 4
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2"

> but still no action!   It used to work out of the box with mklinux
> DR3.   I have also tried 2.1.125 and 2.1.131 kernels.

> Everyone must be sick of seeing this question!

> Thanks,
> Hugh

For one thing, putting the xmodmap line in rc.local did not work for me.
I believe that you have to have an X server running for that command to
work.  I put it in the /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession file.

You might also try putting full path names for the commands, i.e.
/sbin/mousemode and /usr/X11R6/bin/xmodmap.

That's all I had to do to get it to work with my PowerCenter.  Good luck.

--
Alan Somers

Spam countermeasures are in effect.  To respond, remove
"nospam." from the e-mail address.

Post by Louis Kowolowsk » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have a Kensington 4-button thinking mouse and I am running LinuxPPC
> 4.   Basically all the buttons do the same thing (button-1 click).
> After looking throught the FAQ-O-Matic I have put the following commands
> in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> mousemode 15 4
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2"

I've no idea who this actually works for, but it never did anything for
me either.

Quote:> but still no action!   It used to work out of the box with mklinux
> DR3.   I have also tried 2.1.125 and 2.1.131 kernels.

> Everyone must be sick of seeing this question!

yes  : )
the easiest way to fix it is to install XFree86, it either takes no
extra work or very little to then have three of four buttons recognized.
check out http://www.penguinpowered.com/~louisk and look under the X
config stuff...

"One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft Promo Ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer"  -- Adolf Hitler

Eunuchs, the non-gender-specific OS

In Germany's Black Forest:
 It is strickly forbidden on our Black Forest camping site
 that people of different sex, for instance, men & women,
 live together in one tent unless they are married for that
 purpose.

Quote:>Hi! I'm the signature virus 99!  Copy me into your signature and join the

fun!<

Kensington thinking mouse yet again!

Post by Hugh Harri » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the tip Alan - unfortunately it still didn't work!

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks,
Hugh

Post by Luk-Marie Decroo » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> It's truly amazing how many messages there are about this problem in
> various places, but here we go again.

> I have a Kensington 4-button thinking mouse and I am running LinuxPPC
> 4.   Basically all the buttons do the same thing (button-1 click).
> After looking throught the FAQ-O-Matic I have put the following commands
> in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local

> mousemode 15 4
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 3 2"

> but still no action!   It used to work out of the box with mklinux
> DR3.   I have also tried 2.1.125 and 2.1.131 kernels.

> Everyone must be sick of seeing this question!

> Thanks,
> Hugh

I use mousehack and it works without problem with my Kinsington Turbo
Mouse.

ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc/contrib/linuxppc-R4/misc/

Good luck

Luk-Marie Decroos

1. Newbie questions: CD-Audio, Kensington 4-button thinking mouse

Hi all, I have newbie questions galore, but I'll just bore you witht these
two for now.

I'm using LinuxPPC-R4 on a Umax Apus 3000/200. I've been trying all sorts
of thing to get the CD-Audio player that comes installed with KDE to work,
and whatever I try, I never manage to quite get it working. I have tried
editing my fstab to alias /dev/sdc0 to /dev/cdrom, but I've probably got
the wrong options or something, becasue kscd wither complains that it does
not have enough access, or it just seems to think the disc is ejected when
it isn't. Pressing the eject button in the latter mode does not seem to
affect the drive in the slightest. Can anyone tell me where I'm going
wrong? even better, could anywine give me step-by-step instructions on how
to get it working? :)

On another note, Is it possibe to alias buttons 2 and 3 to some buttons on
my Kensington 4-button thinking mouse, say the top right and bottom right
repectively? If so, where would I look for info on this? I want to give it
a go on my own first :)

TIA,

Giles
--
"Write a wise saying, and your name will live forever! "  - Anonymous

2. Kernel that supports SB16 SCSI-2 CD-ROM

3. The Kensington Thinking Mouse

4. screen size in X?

5. Kensington Thinking mouse and Mandrake???

6. looking for a modeller front end for POVray

7. Kensington Thinking mouse

8. Any contracts or perm sun admin postion for remote or onsite work ?

9. 3-button mice, yet again...

10. Thinking of a 3com product? Think Again!

11. Think your bible is so great? Think again..

12. Kensington Expert Mouse changing from Logitech bus mouse

13. Kensington Orbit trackball (again)