kppp doing strange things to resolv.conf

kppp doing strange things to resolv.conf

Post by Matt Haffne » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

kppp connects to my ISP just fine, but when it enters the DNS servers
into resolv.conf, it often mangles the IP numbers replacing most of the
IP number string with high ascii characters. Needless to say, this
prevents name lookup from working very well. I have 2 DNS servers
entered, so I sometimes get one into resolv.conf without being
corrupted.

I'm using LinuxPPC rev. 4 (2.1.24) and the KDE & pppd included with it.

Is there a fix for this? Has anyone else seen this? I decided to try
kppp first before messing with netcfg or ppd directly. Is this operation
(modifying resolv.conf) done by kppp or pppd (I got the feeling it was
kppp) and can I just hardwire my DNS servers into resolv.conf manually
instead? Will this cause problems when I'm not connected?

A more minor problem is that it doesn't seem to set the hostname even
with the 'set hostname' button checked (sorry forgot the exact
name...)--at least that reported back by the 'hostname' command. It's
always just localhost...

Thanks for any help!

mh
--
Matt Haffner                      /|------|\    University of Wisconsin
Dept. of Astronomy               /|--------|\            Madison

           WHAM project -- http://www.astro.wisc.edu/wham

Post by Tom Anderso » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> kppp connects to my ISP just fine, but when it enters the DNS servers
> into resolv.conf, it often mangles the IP numbers replacing most of the
> IP number string with high ascii characters. Needless to say, this
> prevents name lookup from working very well. I have 2 DNS servers
> entered, so I sometimes get one into resolv.conf without being
> corrupted.

I had the same problem and worked around it by entering the IP numbers in
resolv.conf and NOT entering anything in kppp.

Post by Jay Cra » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > kppp connects to my ISP just fine, but when it enters the DNS servers
> > into resolv.conf, it often mangles the IP numbers replacing most of the
> > IP number string with high ascii characters. Needless to say, this
> > prevents name lookup from working very well. I have 2 DNS servers
> > entered, so I sometimes get one into resolv.conf without being
> > corrupted.

> I had the same problem and worked around it by entering the IP numbers in
> resolv.conf and NOT entering anything in kppp.

I noticed this problem too.  There's an option in kppp, i cant remember
what it's called (argh, im in MacOS) that doesnt write to the resolv.conf
file i believe.. I put the numbers in manually and set (or reset) that
option, and now it works fine.

1. kppp clobbers /etc/resolv.conf

I run RH5.2 with k2.2.6 upgrade. Everything was fine until a couple of
days when I upgraded wu-ftpd, mount and a couple of other small packages
from ftp site under redhat/5.2/updates/2.2.2. and updates in general for
RH 5.2 ( incl samba 2.0.3).

Now I notice that the nameserver defs are removed from the
/etc/resolv.conf file every time kppp starts and stops. I have to add
them in between for DNS to work. The DNS helper process does NOT clobber
the file- I verified. Removing all write permissions to the file are of
no avail. This hadn't happened till now. Any pointers ? Anyone seen this
before ?

TIA,
vasu muppalla

2. .bash_profile Path question

3. resolv.conf is emptied when kppp 1.6.11 connects

4. undefined reference to `lptdriver'

5. kppp -> /etc/resolv.conf always empty

6. Server side Javascript ?

7. KPPP, resolv.conf & Netscape 4.5 Install

8. gcc help

9. dhclient.conf to add dns in resolv.conf

10. ppp.conf and resolv.conf for bellsouth.net needed

11. resolv.conf and rc.conf

12. dhcpd.conf, resolv.conf and the search directive

13. named.conf "option forwarder" vs. resolv.conf "nameserver"?