Can't login as root, or as a user

Post by Johnn » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I have been experiening the same exact problem. I could only login as
root, when I gave linux the following string: '/vmlinux 1'. That boots
me into single-user mode. Once
I am in there, there is no password required for root, and when I run
the 'login' command, It always tells me that Authenication fails,
therefore I started looking, and am still trying things... to no avail.
Does that sound like a problem that anyone has been having, or knows how
to remedy.

Thanks Much. :)

Johnny
--

Technical Support

VISI.com
http://www.visi.com
              'I Desire Compassion, and not a Sacrifice.'
                           'La Vida Ebella'

Can't login as root, or as a user

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:43:13 -0600,

+ Does that sound like a problem that anyone has been having, or knows how
+ to remedy.

Not off hand, but what does /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow look like?
Are there accounts? shadow contains encrypted passwords.

James
The Bill of Rights is paid in Responsibilities - Jean McGuire
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/CPAN/doc/FAQs/cgi/idiots-guide.html>

1. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

Hello,

I did a fresh installation of AIX 4.3.3.0 on a R6000.

Everything seemed to work out fine and the system is up and running.

Unfortunately a successful login (on console or via telnet) is only
possible for the root-account.
For any other user the password is correctly verified and the login
process is starting (displaying AIX welcome screen) but it terminates
and closes immediately with the message 'failure running login shell'.

As far as I could imagine possile problems I checked access-permissions
on /home /tmp and the shell executable but everything looks alright...

If this problem seems familiar to anybody I would be happy to hear some
suggestions for solving it.

Cheers,
Chris

2. Booting & printer

3. Can't login as a user other than root user.

4. print filter question (newbie)

5. How can I force the users to login as root with 'su'?

6. HELP: unknown error: inetd[53]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1

7. I changed root's shell and doesn't login as root

8. Help needed for SCO 5.0.2 Install

9. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

10. How does root login through a user's KDE screen saver??

11. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

12. Solved: root login OK, user login incorrect.

13. Login problem with root, but can login with other user.