Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Jefferson Provo » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Netscape consistently dies with a Bus Error on my machine when trying
to run Java applets.  Can someone tell me if this is a problem with my
machine or OS setup, and if I can fix it?

I'm running Netscape 4.7 on a Lombard powerbook running Linuxppc 1999.

Thanx,
Jeff

Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Bernhard Reit » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Jeff,
on the powerbook(Lombarde) running LinuxPPC here I also encounter
netscape 4.7 crashes with Java. This version 4.7 also crashed on
GNU/Linux for intel sometimes. I assume that netscape is buggy and
we have to wait until somebody at LinuxPPC recompiles the 4.7.2
version and makes it available with full encryption. The rpm
on LinuxPPC 2000 lists an Oktober build date.

I just the LinuxPPC people still have access to the proprietory
source code of netscape 4.7.2..
        Bernhard

Quote:> Netscape consistently dies with a Bus Error on my machine when trying

--
Professional Service around Free Software                (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)

Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Kevin Rame » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Netscape consistently dies with a Bus Error on my machine when trying
> to run Java applets.  Can someone tell me if this is a problem with my
> machine or OS setup, and if I can fix it?

As I recall, it's a problem with fonts and there is info available
on the faq-o-matic (sorry, my bookmarks aren't handy)

Quote:

> I'm running Netscape 4.7 on a Lombard powerbook running Linuxppc 1999.

I have 4.7 on G3 desktop has worked flawlessly since I followed
instructions I found

Quote:> Thanx,

--
ramerkw at
Earthlink Dot Net

Sick of Spam

Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Jefferson Provo » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>As I recall, it's a problem with fonts and there is info available
>on the faq-o-matic (sorry, my bookmarks aren't handy)

I've found and installed a CLASSPATH fix for netscape, but I can't
find anything in the faq-o-matic about fonts.  With the classpath
fixed, it now doesn't crash, but it doesn't run applets either.
There's just a big blank nuthin' where the applet's supposed to be.

Jeff

Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Alex Ric » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Netscape consistently dies with a Bus Error on my machine when trying
> to run Java applets.  Can someone tell me if this is a problem with my
> machine or OS setup, and if I can fix it?

> I'm running Netscape 4.7 on a Lombard powerbook running Linuxppc 1999.

> Thanx,
> Jeff

A common problem with easy fix, from netscape netcenter:

 Netscape crashes on Java pages with RedHat Linux 6.0

                    Issue: 19990807-8     Product: Communicator
                  Created: 08/07/1999     Version: 4.x
             Last Updated: 08/10/1999          OS: Linux

                  Does this article answer your question?
                                     Please let us know!

      Problem:

      I have installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 and Netscape keeps crashing
      when I reach a page with Java applets in it. I have also noticed
      that some of my applications do not display fonts correctly.

      Solution:

      There is a problem in one of the installation rpms that is
      causing many systems to not have a complete fontpath for X to
      use. To see if this is the problem you are having, please use the
      command:

         chkfontpath --list

      You should get output that looks like the following:

         Current directories in font path:

         1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
         2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled
         3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled
         4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
         5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
         6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo

      You should then add the 75dpi scaled font to your path list using
      the command:

         chkfontpath --add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi

      This should fix both the font display problems and the problems
      with Java crashing. If you continue to have Java problems, please
      see Article 990221-4:

      Troubleshooting Java on Unix Platforms

--
// Alex Rice

Netscape Java crashes?

Post by Stewart Smit » Sun, 02 Apr 2000 04:00:00

it sounds obvious but make sure you have either the JRE (Java Runtime
Enivronment) or the JDK (Java Development Kit) installed and set up
properly.

I found that without the JDK installed, and java enabled, netscape would
just quit when it found an applet

> > Hi,

> > Netscape consistently dies with a Bus Error on my machine when trying
> > to run Java applets.  Can someone tell me if this is a problem with my
> > machine or OS setup, and if I can fix it?

> As I recall, it's a problem with fonts and there is info available
> on the faq-o-matic (sorry, my bookmarks aren't handy)

> > I'm running Netscape 4.7 on a Lombard powerbook running Linuxppc 1999.

> I have 4.7 on G3 desktop has worked flawlessly since I followed
> instructions I found

> > Thanx,
> > Jeff

> --
> ramerkw at
> Earthlink Dot Net

> Sick of Spam

1. netscape java crashes with RedHat 4.2

I just installed redhat 4.2 today, and got netscape downloaded too.
but whenever I run netscape and trying to get into some java game
sites, netsccape will load for awhile and just crash. Not to mention
netscape is really slow on my ppp connection, sometimes it even
stalls, it never happens when I was using netscape in win95. Anyone
has any ideas?
thanks in advance

Z.

2. Setting up remote printer

3. Netscape Java crashes with libc, which libc should I use?

4. RH 6.1 ISO Files - split up, where??

5. Netscape/Java crash on Sol7

6. Installing Debian, an everyday tale of Newbie folk

7. Netscape java crash

8. Recomandtions for Motif for Linux

9. Netscape/Java crashes with Slackware 1.2.13

10. Netscape Java crashes

11. Netscape Java Crash

12. Netscape + java = crash

13. Netscape/Java crash w/ > 8bpp