More newbie MkLinux questions ...

Post by John Michael Zork » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Greetings ...

OK, I finally figured out how to display the time / date, as well as set
the time / date on MkLinux (date +%c to display, date -s"time and date
string" to set).  I'm an NT developer by trade, so a lot of this setup
stuff is very new to me, but i'm diggin' it, I can see how powerful
Linux can be, in part 'cuz the granularity of things you can do is
smaller (I don't recall having the option of recompiling the NT kernel
<g>) ...

However, i've still got questions:

1. locate / find -- can I have MkLinux automagically update this file
database, so locate / find _always_ work?  I find it distressing that I
can find no functional equiv. to the old DOS "dir /s "funky file to look
for"" command.  I mean, ls -R|grep "funky file to look for" does it,
but, like grep on NT, it only shows you the line, the directory it was
found in was on a different line.  If I run updatedb, sometimes it works
and sometimes not (i.e. sometimes I can find new files I added after
running updatedb, sometimes not).  What am I doing wrong?

2. Environment -- is there a TCL / TK / Perl / something script that
runs when you log in?  I'd like to put set commands in there i.e. set
MOZILLA_HOME /opt/netscape.  How do I do this?  What is the name of the
script?  What is it's secret?  Who does it serve?

3. X settings -- AfterStep looks nowhere near as cool on my MkLinux DR3
7100/66 as it does on my uncles' 486/66.  How do I set up color /
background / etc. prefs using FVWM?  KDE does it via the GUI but wow, is
it s-l-o-w.  FVWM is _so_ much faster.

4. Mach / server pair -- is there a later release of the Mach kernel /
Linux server pair?  One I can easily install without recompiling
anything (i'm used to compiling C/C++ code at work on NT, but not on
MkLinux, and I figure i've got lots to learn before i'm comfy with that).

5. G3 upgrades -- I read on www.mklinux.org recently, something about G3
upgrade card support in the kernel / server / something.  I've another
Mac (6100/60) that I put a Sonnet G3 card in.  It rocks ... I use the
6100 for music production, the idea is to not use it for anything else
i.e. use the 7100/66 Mklinux box to do everything not music related
(internet, email, etc.)  I'd like to get a Sonnet / Newer card for the
7100 as well eventually, and if I don't need to muck with extension
typing (i.e. if MkLinux supports G3 upgrade cards itself without the
need for the MacOS extension) that would rock ...

I _do_ appreciate all the help here ... I really do!

--

Regards,

John Michael Zorko
AdAstra Records
http://www.adastra-records.com

Post by Mike Zula » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> 4. Mach / server pair -- is there a later release of the Mach kernel /
> Linux server pair?

Go to http://www.mklinux.org/development/Mach_FAQ.html .  There are links
to current sources and precompiled kernel/server pairs.

Quote:> 5. G3 upgrades -- I read on www.mklinux.org recently, something about G3
> upgrade card support in the kernel / server / something.

Presently, the Newer cards work with MkLinux, the Sonnet cards do not.
Even with the Newer cards you've got to muck around with things a bit.
I've got a Newer G3 300 1Mb card, and it runs flawlessly now (though since
my bus is only 33 MHz, the card only runs at 264 MHz).

Quote:> and if I don't need to muck with extension
> typing (i.e. if MkLinux supports G3 upgrade cards itself without the
> need for the MacOS extension) that would rock ...

No, you still need the Newer Mac extension, but that's no real problem.
You just have to fiddle with things to get it to load before the MkLinux
Booter.

Mike

--
Mike Zulauf

More newbie MkLinux questions ...

Post by MacPia » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

leave your computer on all night and a cron job will run the locate database.
Linux uses that to find your files. I never had any luck with the find command
and it takes forever to cycle through all yout files. The database is really
fast. It's not like the mac's

More newbie MkLinux questions ...

Post by MacPia » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

whoops, I hit the send button before I finished. If you are used to how fast
the mac finds files you'll be disappointed with Linux.

More newbie MkLinux questions ...

Post by Rudolf Leitg » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> 1. locate / find -- can I have MkLinux automagically update this file
> database, so locate / find _always_ work?  I find it distressing that I
> can find no functional equiv. to the old DOS "dir /s "funky file to look
> for"" command.  I mean, ls -R|grep "funky file to look for" does it,
> but, like grep on NT, it only shows you the line, the directory it was
> found in was on a different line.  If I run updatedb, sometimes it works
> and sometimes not (i.e. sometimes I can find new files I added after
> running updatedb, sometimes not).  What am I doing wrong?

You have two options.

If you are looking for an executable that's in your path, type
        which file_name
and you will see where this executable sits (assuming it's in your PATH)
This is by far the fastest method, and works, as long as you are looking
for an executable that is indeed in your PATH)

If you are looking for arbitrary files, use the find command. Check out
the man page to learn its syntax. It is a lot slower, since it recursively
searches the whole directory tree, which might be the whole hard disk drive,
if you search from / downwards.

Quote:> 2. Environment -- is there a TCL / TK / Perl / something script that
> runs when you log in?  I'd like to put set commands in there i.e. set
> MOZILLA_HOME /opt/netscape.  How do I do this?  What is the name of the
> script?  What is it's secret?  Who does it serve?

You start with a login shell. Type

        echo $SHELL
to find out which one you run. Then look in the man page for that shell
to find out, which init files are executed upon startup. You'd be amazed
how sophisticated this whole thing is ...

Quote:> 3. X settings -- AfterStep looks nowhere near as cool on my MkLinux DR3
> 7100/66 as it does on my uncles' 486/66.  How do I set up color /
> background / etc. prefs using FVWM?  KDE does it via the GUI but wow, is
> it s-l-o-w.  FVWM is _so_ much faster.

Well, fvwm is fast, because it is simple. I.e. you don't get any of these
cool looking graphical gizmos :-(
However, the .fvwmrc file in your home directory is your friend. It's usually
self explanatory, and you can also check out the fvwm man page. The man page
is, again, your friend ;-)

Quote:> 4. Mach / server pair -- is there a later release of the Mach kernel /
> Linux server pair?  One I can easily install without recompiling
> anything (I'm used to compiling C/C++ code at work on NT, but not on
> MkLinux, and I figure I've got lots to learn before I'm comfy with that).

Yes, there is, and you should definitely replace the DR3 kernel/server
pair, since they are very unstable and bug ridden. Go to globegate.utm.edu
and work your way down until you find the GENERIC kernels. Get the latest
stable kernel/server pair (GENERIC-07 as we speak) and install them.
Decompress both the kernel and the server. vmlinux goes in /mach_servers ,
whereas Mach Kernel goes in your extensions folder.

Good luck

Rudi

--

         | | | | |
       \   _____   /

1. newbie mklinux question

I installed Mklinux DR3 on my Powermac 6100. When I installed
it I had my extenal zip disk installed.  Now if I try to boot
Mklinux without the power to the zip drive (or without the
zip drive plugged in) I get lots of complaints, it won't mount
the various file systems and won't boot. What have I done wrong?

    -Bruce

2. send mail or qmail

3. Newbie Question: MkLinux, Apache, and Procmail

4. Korn-shell coding help needed immediately!

5. Newbie Questions?MKLinux & web browsers...

6. Any problem with installing OS 9.1 on a machine with Linux PPC 2000?

7. Newbie Question: MkLinux vs LinuxPPC?

8. Content-Blind Cancelbot

9. MkLinux newbie Memory question.

10. MKLinux newbie with questions!

11. Newbie questions for MkLinux R1!