Unable to get LinuxPPC to Boot on a G3

Post by Frank Caratozzo » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

(I also sent this to the support email at linuxppc.org but I imagine they
are swamped with questions and though some of you might be able to help)

Ok First some details on my system:

G3/266 96 Megs Of RAM
The Mac OS is installed on the internal IDE 4.0 GB Drive that came with my
Mac and is in HFS+ format.

I recently got a 13 GB HD (internal EIDE) that I wanted to run LinuxPPC off
of so I partitioned it like this:
root - 160 megs
usr - 550 megs
opt - 330 megs
home - 230 megs
swap - 50 megs
All of the Above drives are in standard  MacOS format (NOT HFS+)
Then I made 3 3.7 or so HFS+ partitions to use as standard Mac OS Drives

I boot off the floppy with g3installer.coff and then go through set up.  I
repartition the 5 MacOS standard drives in Pdisk while the others I leave
the same as HFS+.  I name them root, usr, opt, home and swap.  Root was the
first writeable partition (5)
(at the start of the installer, the drive was listed as /dev/hdd/)

I chose swap as my swap disk and I do an FTP install. allowing usr, opt, and
home to also be mounted while selecting root as the root drive. And then I
run through the installer and it appears to install correctly.  I do the
quick boot thing not filling in any extra parameters and setting it to boot
back into the MacOS on restart.

Boot X doesn't work on my computer for some reason it just quits on startup
of the app while Ram Doubler is on and While it is off also so I decided to
go with Boot Vars and Multibooter.  In both, I used the same parameters as
in the Linux PPC boot guide like this:

That didn't work so then I changed the boot file to:

(since the drive was listed as /dev/hdd/ at the start of installation)

That to didn't work.

I think I tried almost every possible combination with no success.  Any help
that you can give would be amazingly appreciated.

--Frank
p.s. Please tell  me if there is any information that you need and I didn't
give you

--
-- Frank Caratozzolo -- Editor In Cheif --
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Promoting World Peace, Through * Games

Unable to get LinuxPPC to Boot on a G3

Post by John M Zachar » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm having a similar problem with a similar setup.

G3 233, 4GB IDE, 64 MB RAM.

I am partitioning the disk ***without*** a MacOS partition.
Therefore, I am using the OF method and not BootX.
Partition 5 is /, partition 6 is swap.

I can get everything installed and get to the Quik step. However,
when I specify

the machine reboots and says it can't boot to the device. I'd really
love to get Linux up and running this weekend.

I've followed the installation instructions to a t (I think). Help me
Obi Wan Kenobies, you all are my only hope!

John