BootX problem with YDL on 7200/75

Post by Heywoo » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm relatively new to macs but I got a hold of a 7200 cheaply and was able
to install YellowDog CS 1.2 on it without any dramas.

I do have a problem though - although I can get into Linux if I boot the
machine up to MacOs and wait until it does its business and finally loads up
the desktop and then use the BootX Ap to jump into Linux

I am unable to directly boot into Linux using the Bootx Extension thing when
MacOS is going through its load sequence - when I try to do this, the
machine goes to a black screen and appears as it if it has locked up.

Can someone please advise a way for it to jump into Linux?  Even if in the
worst case the machine has to boot up completely into MacOS to do this, that
would do.

Cheers,

Heywood

BootX problem with YDL on 7200/75

Post by Stig S?rense » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi
This seems to be a common problem for the 7200 series, when using BootX. In
my case, using a different BootX version solved the problem, but others have
reported that switching BootX did not help.
If you want Linux to start by it self, when the machine is booted, you can
add the BootX-app to the "Startup Folder", and make Linux the default choise
(start the app, hit tab once, then save prefs). Remember to get rid of the
bogus BootX extension for this to work!
As an alternative, you can have a look at quik, the old PowerPC bootloader.
It's a bit tricky to set up, but once configured properly it can boot linux
without needing any MacOS stuff. (This means that you can get rid of MacOS
altogether, should you so wish).

Regards
/Stig

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm relatively new to macs but I got a hold of a 7200 cheaply and was able
> to install YellowDog CS 1.2 on it without any dramas.

> I do have a problem though - although I can get into Linux if I boot the
> machine up to MacOs and wait until it does its business and finally loads
up
> the desktop and then use the BootX Ap to jump into Linux

> I am unable to directly boot into Linux using the Bootx Extension thing
when
> MacOS is going through its load sequence - when I try to do this, the
> machine goes to a black screen and appears as it if it has locked up.

> Can someone please advise a way for it to jump into Linux?  Even if in the
> worst case the machine has to boot up completely into MacOS to do this,
that
> would do.

> Cheers,

> Heywood

BootX problem with YDL on 7200/75

Post by DiLL » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am unable to directly boot into Linux using the Bootx Extension thing
when
> MacOS is going through its load sequence - when I try to do this, the
> machine goes to a black screen and appears as it if it has locked up.

Are you sure you're using the most recent version of BootX?
My 7200 handles the extension like a charm, although I should say I use
LinuxPPC instead of YDL. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, though...

Max

1. LinuxPPC on a 7200/75 install problem

 Hey everyone

 I purchased, from Microcenter, a copy of LinuxPPC open box. Thought I'd
save a few bucks. I got home and my cute little 7200/75 couldn't read
the install CD. The thing was that it could read other CDs, the source
CD that came with the install CD, as a matter of fact. So I knew that it
wasn't my CD-ROM, it had to be the install CD. Bummer as it were, I opted
to return the thing and exchange it for a new copy, paying a few bucks more.
Got home, it worked a couple times but then, much to my chagrin, now the
install CD isn't working again! The source CD works, other CDs work, the
install CD from a brand new box doesn't!

 Is anyone else having this problem? Can it be fixed? Should I just mail
off and ask for a new CD? Thanks.

2. Page Fault Handler

3. Installation problems on 7200/75

4. WTB: AIX version 4.x

5. LinuxPPC on a PowerMac 7200/75

6. bind is not working from a win2K clinet

7. Pmac 7200/75 loose scsi0:0

8. I_LINK and pipes

9. PowerMac 7200/75 - which linux?

10. Looking for input about 7200/75

11. 7200/90 bootx problems

12. Problem with getting YDL on 7200 to print

13. YDL & 7200 - problem booting vmlinux