linux, OS X, and OS 9.1 booting

Post by F. Heitka » Sat, 05 May 2001 16:23:28

I got a new powermac G4.
I want to have Linux, OS 9.1 and OS X all
installed on this machine.  Since I am a
newbie to macs I don't know how or where
to begin.  Can anyone point me to some
information on installing such a triple
boot arrangement?

Fred

linux, OS X, and OS 9.1 booting

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Sat, 05 May 2001 22:52:02

> I got a new powermac G4.
> I want to have Linux, OS 9.1 and OS X all
> installed on this machine.  Since I am a
> newbie to macs I don't know how or where
> to begin.  Can anyone point me to some
> information on installing such a triple
> boot arrangement?

Well, I could simply tell you...

1. Boot the machine from the MacOS (9.1) CD.

2. Start the hard disk setup program (whatever it is called, lookm for
it on the CD) and create partitions like this:

1 GB or more for MacOS (MacOS Extended)
2 GB or more for MacOS X (MacOS Extended)
100 MB for data exchange (MacOS Standard)
50 MB for booting Linux (MacOS Standard)
125 MB for swap (Linux swap)
2 GB or more for Linux (Linux)

3. Install MacOS.

4. Install MacOS X.

5. Install Linux, mounting the 50 MB partition as /boot

--
Fan of Woody Allen
PowerPC User