Major Problem. Please, I beg of you, help me.

Major Problem. Please, I beg of you, help me.

Post by Mike Hudso » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

First of all. You'll see what partition has the problem when you boot. type
fsck /dev/whatever Unless you know otherwise, just accept the defaults. If
you have more than one partition, repeat the process.

As for X not respawning, there are two things to prevent this probme again.
First of all, use Gnome's logout feature, it's nicer as the applications get
told to shut down, rather than have the X server killed and the apps are
left to fend for themelselves (they usually close fine).
If you're stuck on the screen. try killall -TERM prefdm
This should cause your computer to respawn the server.

Mike

Quote:> It all started when a GNOME app crashed following the crash of X/Windows.

Post by Tony » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Actually your way off base. The problem here is not an internal linux
problem. The problem is derived from my filesystem being messed up on
/dev/hda6. It has something to do with a missing inode. I know that much.
Beyond that I belive I have to use fsck (file system check) to get anywhere
else. But apprently it is not responding. This is what I get:

$ fsck
Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
$ fsck --help
Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
$ fsck --usage
Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
$

As you can see it's not much help.

Thanks anyway,
Tony

Post by J.C » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Actually your way off base. The problem here is not an internal linux
>problem. The problem is derived from my filesystem being messed up on
>/dev/hda6. It has something to do with a missing inode. I know that much.
>Beyond that I belive I have to use fsck (file system check) to get anywhere
>else. But apprently it is not responding. This is what I get:

>$ fsck
>Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
>$ fsck --help
>Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
>$ fsck --usage
>Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
>$

>As you can see it's not much help.

>Thanks anyway,
>Tony

Erm, I don't know what version of LPPC you're using, but the main utility I use
when my root partition screws up on me is actually /sbin/fsck.ext2... (I use
LPPC R4...)

--
J.C.
"The free flow of information along data highways being piped into our

                             -- 'The Thunder of Justice', pg. 264

Post by Anders Baden Niels » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> It all started when a GNOME app crashed following the crash of X/Windows.
> I did CTRL-ALT-DEL which left me with a black screen and nothing.
> I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to do.
> I tried all kinds of key commands and nothing worked, I didn't know how to
> get back into the shell.
> I had to turn the computer off manually. I know, very bad, but what was I
> supposed to do?
> Now I'm hella stuck. Here this is what it says...

> <normal startup stuff>
> Checking root filesystem...
> /dev/hda6 contains a filesystem with errors, check forced.
> /dev/hda6: unattached inode 6261
> /dev/hda6: UNEXPECTED INCOSITENCY; RUN fsck
> <drops me into my root shell>
> $ fsck
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> $ exit
> <shutdown stuff>
> <lots of failures>

> I'm not on my Macintosh, and I don't know what to do.
> I don't even know where to start!
> Please help me in any way you can.

> Thank you _so_ much,
> Tony

Try typing e2fsck -b (if neccessary with one of the 6261 option). This
should help.
--
Regards

Anders Baden Nielsen
www: http://linuxppc.dht.dk - KoRn, Deftones, LinuxPPC...

ICQ#: 32984804 (<=-frEak oN a leaSh>)
-------------------------------------
Bartender, I'd like whatever the man on the floor was drinking

Post by Michael Schmit » Sun, 09 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Actually your way off base. The problem here is not an internal linux
> problem. The problem is derived from my filesystem being messed up on
> /dev/hda6. It has something to do with a missing inode. I know that much.
> Beyond that I belive I have to use fsck (file system check) to get anywhere
> else. But apprently it is not responding. This is what I get:

> $ fsck
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> $ fsck --help
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> $ fsck --usage
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> $

> As you can see it's not much help.

Maybe it's you who is off base here - did you ever try fsck /dev/hda6,
or fsck.ext2 /dev/hda6, or e2fsck /dev/hda6?

fsck doesn't like to guess at what device might eventually need
checking. You have to tell it.

        Michael

Post by ndk » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> It all started when a GNOME app crashed following the crash of X/Windows.
> I did CTRL-ALT-DEL which left me with a black screen and nothing.
> I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to do.
> I tried all kinds of key commands and nothing worked, I didn't know how to
> get back into the shell.
> I had to turn the computer off manually. I know, very bad, but what was I
> supposed to do?
> Now I'm hella stuck. Here this is what it says...

> <normal startup stuff>
> Checking root filesystem...
> /dev/hda6 contains a filesystem with errors, check forced.
> /dev/hda6: unattached inode 6261
> /dev/hda6: UNEXPECTED INCOSITENCY; RUN fsck
> <drops me into my root shell>
> $ fsck
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> $ exit
> <shutdown stuff>
> <lots of failures>

> I'm not on my Macintosh, and I don't know what to do.
> I don't even know where to start!
> Please help me in any way you can.

> Thank you _so_ much,
> Tony

Have you tried booting from the CD? Run fsck -f /dev/hdx. If the
superblock is corrupted, this is probably your only option.

NKrinis

Post by Tom » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> > It all started when a GNOME app crashed following the crash of X/Windows.
> > I did CTRL-ALT-DEL which left me with a black screen and nothing.
> > I didn't know what the heck I was supposed to do.
> > I tried all kinds of key commands and nothing worked, I didn't know how to
> > get back into the shell.
> > I had to turn the computer off manually. I know, very bad, but what was I
> > supposed to do?
> > Now I'm hella stuck. Here this is what it says...

> > <normal startup stuff>
> > Checking root filesystem...
> > /dev/hda6 contains a filesystem with errors, check forced.
> > /dev/hda6: unattached inode 6261
> > /dev/hda6: UNEXPECTED INCOSITENCY; RUN fsck
> > <drops me into my root shell>
> > $ fsck
> > Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999)
> > $ exit
> > <shutdown stuff>
> > <lots of failures>

> > I'm not on my Macintosh, and I don't know what to do.
> > I don't even know where to start!
> > Please help me in any way you can.

> > Thank you _so_ much,
> > Tony

> Have you tried booting from the CD? Run fsck -f /dev/hdx. If the
> superblock is corrupted, this is probably your only option.

> NKrinis

yeah, or don't run it with the -f, just run "fsck /dev/hda6"

good luck

,Tom