laserwriter 16/600PS

Post by James Scot » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

has anyone got this printer to work under linuxppc? I've plugged it into
the printer port and tried catting stuff to /dev/ttyS1, but can't get
anything to happen, not even a flashing light. It's fine under MacOS.

thanks,

James

laserwriter 16/600PS

Post by Matthew Pritzke » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> has anyone got this printer to work under linuxppc? I've plugged it into
> the printer port and tried catting stuff to /dev/ttyS1, but can't get
> anything to happen, not even a flashing light. It's fine under MacOS.

If you've got it plugged into the printer port, that means you're
accessing it via LocalTalk, which isn't supported under Linux (any
version).  You'll need to switch to an ethernet connection to use it
under Limux.

--
--------------------
Matthew Pritzker           Graduate Research Assistant

laserwriter 16/600PS

Post by James Scot » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

thanks, this is probably what I'll do. I still don't understand though, do
macs have serial ports? I'd got the impression that the printer and modem
ports were both serial and localtalk (whatever that is!). Where can I plug
into ttyS0/1?

James

Post by Sheldon D. Stok » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> thanks, this is probably what I'll do. I still don't understand though, do
> macs have serial ports? I'd got the impression that the printer and modem
> ports were both serial and localtalk (whatever that is!). Where can I plug
> into ttyS0/1?

right, it has a serial port, but that doesn't mean that the printer talks
via standard serial communication.  IT talks through the odd and
apparently timing critical localtalk.  At work I tried getting an older
laserwriter NT to print via straight serial connection, and while it would
print small jobs fine, it would hang on larger jobs.  I went the ethernet
route and surplussed the old laserwriter.  The older laserwriters had dip
switches to change from localtalk to serial.  My 4/600 at home doesn't do
anything but localtalk (thanks apple).  So I bought an asante ethertalk
box.

Sheldon

1. Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS

We have a somewhat heterogeneous LAN with a SPARC 10 as a file and
printer server. On that LAN ( ethernet ) we have two LaserWriter
16/600PS, which, for reasons that escape our local "expert" who claims
to see all and know all ( except when he doesn't which is when I get
landed with the mess ) want to claim the same remote queue ( text? ).
The admintool shows the printer and server names to be unique to
each device.
Anybody have any idea off the top of their head what might be the
problem?

2. Problem with news daemon

3. *** Trouble printing to Apple LW 16/600PS ***

4. No Window Manager in Ximian Gnome

5. Problems with lpd and Apple 16/600PS

6. What is the programm name ?

7. Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS and solaris

8. Multiple users share same executable in Memory?

9. Problem with lp and an Apple Laserwriter 16/600 ps

10. Apple LaserWriter 16/600, paper trays & Solaris

11. Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS and Solaris 2.x lp

12. Solaris 2.5 and Apple LaserWriter 16/600

13. Sol 2.4 + Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS