7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(

Post by Rave » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Ok...after 3 days of reformating and lurning all the bugs from the installer by
heart..i finally got linuxPPC to install... :)...now after puting quik-mac at
work i installed vmlinux..
(i dont know which one i should use)
it did boot 1 or 2 times...but even than...it gave a kernel panic : cannot mount
root partition or something like that ...

Which vmlinux do i have to install? i also found these ?
vmlinux.7200-90
vmlinux.7200.shared

In short...i m completely lost...and i dont know if i must add something in
bootvar...or if i broke the installation while playing with quik-mac...or the
boot sector ??
CAN SOMEONE SAVE ME ! :((...
thanx in advance
Alexandre
P.S.Can you e-mail me directly ? :)

Post by Jason » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>> Ok...after 3 days of reformating and lurning all the bugs
>from the installer by
>> heart..i finally got linuxPPC to install... :)...
>now after puting quik-mac at
>> work i installed vmlinux..
>> (i dont know which one i should use)
>> it did boot 1 or 2 times...but even than...it gave a kernel panic :
>cannot mount
>> root partition or something like that ...

>> Which vmlinux do i have to install? i also found these ?
>> vmlinux.7200-90
>> vmlinux.7200.shared
>If your Sreen freeze while booting the MKLinux from the Bootmanager you
>have the same Problem as me. (Got an 7200/75) Apple said that it could
>freeze your screen while starting up MKLinux on "some 7200 machines".
>Well there are different Updates for the Mach Kernel. (Which is
>installed in your Extension Foulder in your System Foulder. Replace the
>old version of the Mach Kernel with thw version you could Dl at
>http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~boerie/Mach.sit.bin.
>It will open with stuffit expander. Reeboot your machine an loggin as
>root. performance on my maschine is very good.
>I was surfin on MKLinux HP for 2 h since i found this information.

No, he's running Linux-pmac (quik and the OF stuff make that clear, but
you wouldn't be expected to know that, coming from the Mk side).

Post by Rav » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >> Ok...after 3 days of reformating and lurning all the bugs
> >from the installer by
> >> heart..i finally got linuxPPC to install... :)...
> >now after puting quik-mac at
> >> work i installed vmlinux..
> >> (i dont know which one i should use)
> >> it did boot 1 or 2 times...but even than...it gave a kernel panic :
> >cannot mount
> >> root partition or something like that ...

> >> Which vmlinux do i have to install? i also found these ?
> >> vmlinux.7200-90
> >> vmlinux.7200.shared

> >If your Sreen freeze while booting the MKLinux from the Bootmanager you
> >have the same Problem as me. (Got an 7200/75) Apple said that it could
> >freeze your screen while starting up MKLinux on "some 7200 machines".
> >Well there are different Updates for the Mach Kernel. (Which is
> >installed in your Extension Foulder in your System Foulder. Replace the
> >old version of the Mach Kernel with thw version you could Dl at
> >http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~boerie/Mach.sit.bin.
> >It will open with stuffit expander. Reeboot your machine an loggin as
> >root. performance on my maschine is very good.
> >I was surfin on MKLinux HP for 2 h since i found this information.

> No, he's running Linux-pmac (quik and the OF stuff make that clear, but
> you wouldn't be expected to know that, coming from the Mk side).

Yes...i effectivly try to use LinuxPPC..if anyone can help me further
:)..I already got lot of helps...but i m really stuck... :)
thanx
Alexandre

Post by Remco Pos » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Ok...after 3 days of reformating and lurning all the bugs from the installer by
> heart..i finally got linuxPPC to install... :)...now after puting quik-mac at
> work i installed vmlinux..
> (i dont know which one i should use)
> it did boot 1 or 2 times...but even than...it gave a kernel panic : cannot mount
> root partition or something like that ...

> Which vmlinux do i have to install? i also found these ?
> vmlinux.7200-90
> vmlinux.7200.shared

Get the most recent 2.1.24 kernel at
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/mirrors/pmac/vmlinux
this one will boot on a 7200 (it does on my 7200). Run quik on the MacOS
side and
make shure your root partition is the first bootable partition on the
disk. OF on
the 7200 has a bug, so it can't handle booting from a second bootable
partition (none of the MacOS partitions are bootable).
If your harddisk is a scsi id x [0..7] then set the boot-device to

After that everything should be fine.

Quote:

> In short...i m completely lost...and i dont know if i must add something in
> bootvar...or if i broke the installation while playing with quik-mac...or the
> boot sector ??
> CAN SOMEONE SAVE ME ! :((...
> thanx in advance
> Alexandre
> P.S.Can you e-mail me directly ? :)

Remco
--

7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(

Post by Rav » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Get the most recent 2.1.24 kernel at
> ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/mirrors/pmac/vmlinux
> this one will boot on a 7200 (it does on my 7200). Run quik on the MacOS
> side and
> make shure your root partition is the first bootable partition on the
> disk. OF on
> the 7200 has a bug, so it can't handle booting from a second bootable
> partition (none of the MacOS partitions are bootable).
> If your harddisk is a scsi id x [0..7] then set the boot-device to

> After that everything should be fine.

> Remco
> --

Ok so i ll try that..but dont even need to use a boot-file parameter like:
/vmlinux root=/dev/sdb4        ???

Thanx...
Alexandre.

7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(

Post by Rav » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

 > Get the most recent 2.1.24 kernel at
 > ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/mirrors/pmac/vmlinux
 > this one will boot on a 7200 (it does on my 7200). Run quik on the MacOS
 > side and
 > make shure your root partition is the first bootable partition on the
 > disk. OF on
 > the 7200 has a bug, so it can't handle booting from a second bootable
 > partition (none of the MacOS partitions are bootable).
 > If your harddisk is a scsi id x [0..7] then set the boot-device to

 > After that everything should be fine.
 >
 > Remco

THANX EVERYONE !! LINUX BOOTED UP !! :DDD...woohoooooooo :)

Now...how to hell do i make Xwindows start hehe...:)

Alexandre...

Post by Remco Pos » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>  > Get the most recent 2.1.24 kernel at
>  > ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/mirrors/pmac/vmlinux
>  > this one will boot on a 7200 (it does on my 7200). Run quik on the MacOS
>  > side and
>  > make shure your root partition is the first bootable partition on the
>  > disk. OF on
>  > the 7200 has a bug, so it can't handle booting from a second bootable
>  > partition (none of the MacOS partitions are bootable).
>  > If your harddisk is a scsi id x [0..7] then set the boot-device to

>  > After that everything should be fine.

>  > Remco

> THANX EVERYONE !! LINUX BOOTED UP !! :DDD...woohoooooooo :)

> Now...how to hell do i make Xwindows start hehe...:)

> Alexandre...

Well, that's easy. Download the X11 rpm's and install them, add
/usr/X11R6.3/bin to your path and run startx. The X11 rpm's at
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc/redhat/RPMS/ppc work on your system.

Remco
--

7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(

Post by Rav » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Ok....well X was installed...and i can run it...but frequently when i m in
X...it just crash and i have to reboot...that s not cool :(

Also..i have to reinstall vmlinux after a crash sometime, not always but
sometime...it wont reboot! t a black screen...Another thing i noticed was
that when rebooting from MacOS after changing BootVar, it reboot twice...
???

Also...In network configuration(control panel)..the eth0 says i cant
remove it...but i need to remove it ...cause i need to replace it with a
DHCPd wich start at boot time :)...(cable modem)

How can i do that ?

Thanx a lot ! :)
Alexandre

7200 and LinuxPPC not booting help! :-(

Post by Joe Stagne » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have been playing with my 7200 / 90 for a few months trying to get it to
work.

Here's what got me up and running.

On the internal HD Mac OS 8 installed on a clean disk.

On a separate external hard drive MkLinux DR2.1 full install.
With 16 meg ram - 64 Meg Swap, 200 Meg Root, balance user.

BootManager and Kernel from Update 5.

And "POOF"   Linux is UP - X-Win is UP

And I'm a happy guy.

-Joe Stagner