Mandrake 9.1 (Bamboo) PPC and Powerbook 17"

Mandrake 9.1 (Bamboo) PPC and Powerbook 17"

Post by Oliver God » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 01:48:38

Has anyone managed to successfully install Mandrake 9.1 PPC on a 17"
Powerbook?

I have looked all over the Mandrake Site and I cannot find a Supported
Hardware list, and I am aware that YellowDog 3.0 does not as yet
support the 17" Powerbook, so before I shell out for it, I was
wondering if anyone can help me?

Thanx in advance,

Oliver

Mandrake 9.1 (Bamboo) PPC and Powerbook 17"

Post by Colin War » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:51:13

On 11/7/03 5:48 pm, in article

> Has anyone managed to successfully install Mandrake 9.1 PPC on a 17"
> Powerbook?

> I have looked all over the Mandrake Site and I cannot find a Supported
> Hardware list, and I am aware that YellowDog 3.0 does not as yet
> support the 17" Powerbook, so before I shell out for it, I was
> wondering if anyone can help me?

> Thanx in advance,

> Oliver

I wouldn't count on mandrake being able to support the 17in PB. I was with
ML for a long time (on ibook & G4) but switched to YDL as the support for
newer macs is much much better. Only a few people actually work on the PPC
side at ML, its X86 distro is its real product. I would have thought YDL
would have something in the works for the 17in PB, they are already taking
pre-orders for G5's with YD preinstalled, and you can get an 17inch imac
with YD preinstalled. Shouldn't be long before the 17in PB is supported.
Colin