Install Redhat 5.2 from a PC CD?

Post by Niels Peter Strandber » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I just bought a PC-Magazine witch included a CD with the latest RedHat
5.2 on it. The CD is for PC's.

Can I use the RedHat part of the CD, when installing LinuxPPC, so that I
don't need to download the RedHat from the internet?

What do I need to download? The Bootx, vmlinux, ramdisk.image.gz?

I want to install LinuxPPC on my G3/300.

One last ? I thought that if you have the right kernel for the processor
you are using, you were able to run all programs for Linux. But this is
maybe not the case, because some db like PrimeBase for Linux will only
work on Intel. Why is that?

Sincerely, Niels Peter

Install Redhat 5.2 from a PC CD?

Post by Matteo Cor » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I just bought a PC-Magazine witch included a CD with the latest RedHat
>5.2 on it. The CD is for PC's.

>Can I use the RedHat part of the CD, when installing LinuxPPC, so that I
>don't need to download the RedHat from the internet?

>What do I need to download? The Bootx, vmlinux, ramdisk.image.gz?

>I want to install LinuxPPC on my G3/300.

>One last ? I thought that if you have the right kernel for the processor
>you are using, you were able to run all programs for Linux. But this is
>maybe not the case, because some db like PrimeBase for Linux will only
>work on Intel. Why is that?

The PowerPC and Intel are different processors and all the programs must be
differently compiled. Most of linux programs are distributed as source that
you can than compile on you PPC machine. You could download only the base
installation and the gcc compiler for the PPC, and then compile all the
sources distributed with the Intel RedHat. It is a long and annoying
process, and you should have some good linux knowledge.
I think that if you do not have a very fast connection the easyest
way is to get the CD at www.linuxppc.org.

                Matteo

Install Redhat 5.2 from a PC CD?

Post by Andrew J. Bre » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I just bought a PC-Magazine witch included a CD with the latest RedHat
>5.2 on it. The CD is for PC's.

>Can I use the RedHat part of the CD, when installing LinuxPPC, so that I
>don't need to download the RedHat from the internet?

>What do I need to download? The Bootx, vmlinux, ramdisk.image.gz?

>I want to install LinuxPPC on my G3/300.

>One last ? I thought that if you have the right kernel for the processor
>you are using, you were able to run all programs for Linux. But this is
>maybe not the case, because some db like PrimeBase for Linux will only
>work on Intel. Why is that?

Ok, I guess I just compile a list of facts for you.

1. You can indeed use an Intel RedHat CD given that you do have GCC installed
(and working) on your machine, but it is _very difficult_ (for me that is).
Don't even think about actually accomplishing this task!

2. Programs compiled for Linux x86 will only run on Linux x86.

3. The same source code (*.C) can normally be compiled on Linux PPC
and other Linuces to make it run on their machines.

4. You can indeed run all Linux programs, but they MUST be compiled for your
machine (x86, m68k, PPC, MIPS, Sparc, ARM or Alpha).

1. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

We tried to install RedHat 5.2 on a i486 with 8MB ram. The installation
hangs after SCSI recognition. The floppy never stops working. We can
hear the head move and move and move ...

On a Pentium Pro PC with more ram everthing works fine. But if we reduce
the amount of ram with a kernel option "mem=8M" the same behaviour
occurs.

Any hints?

Oliver

--
     \\|//      Tel. +49-89-289-164-32
     (o o)      FAX  +49-89-289-164-10

+-------------+ http://www.itm.tum.de/~kaiser

2. How to configure which modules to be loaded?

3. Installing RedHat 5.2 on PC

4. X11R6 for Solaris 2.4

5. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

6. Free OpenServer install problem.

7. Installing non-builtin ethernet driver for use with ftp install of redhat 5.2

8. Installating the manual

9. Redhat 5.2 on MAC virtual PC

10. PC does not boot after attempted 5.2 install

11. Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

12. Install Redhat on a PC w/o CD-ROM through a network?

13. RedHat 5.2 CD