Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

Can LinuxPPC use a Global Village USB modem?

Post by Guy Guyadee » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

    I'm running LinuxPPC on a B&W G3. Can I use my Global Village USB modem?

Thanks,
Guy

Post by Jason Haa » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>     I'm running LinuxPPC on a B&W G3. Can I use my Global Village USB modem?

The current USB code used in Linux doesn't have support for anything but
keyboards and mice, unfortunately. This will probably change in the next
few months, though I don't know what the status of USB support is beyond
that.  It could work even sooner than I'm thinking it will.

Cheers,

LinuxPPC Inc,  www.linuxppc.

Post by Guy Guyadee » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> The current USB code used in Linux doesn't have support for anything but
> keyboards and mice, unfortunately.

Can I help? The thing is, the classes I'm taking this semester don't require
too much real coding, and once you spend like more than 4 or 5 months
writing code every day, you kind of get *ed... so I'm looking for
something interesting to work on.

How could I get started on something like this? I'm thinking one of the LDP
docs...? Just look at the kernel source, maybe? I'd also be interested in
working on drivers for the SCSI card I put in my machine. What would I need
to know in order to start with that?

I put a similar "How to Get Started" question to this newsgroup a few weeks
ago, with no responses. I'm an experienced programmer, but not for Linux. In
fact I'm a complete Linux Programming Newbie. You Linux programmers out
there had to have started somewhere. Could you share some of your
experiences with me?

Thanks for the advice,
Guy

Post by maratho » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> The current USB code used in Linux doesn't have support for anything but
>> keyboards and mice, unfortunately.

>Can I help? The thing is, the classes I'm taking this semester don't require
>too much real coding, and once you spend like more than 4 or 5 months
>writing code every day, you kind of get *ed... so I'm looking for
>something interesting to work on.

>How could I get started on something like this? I'm thinking one of the LDP
>docs...? Just look at the kernel source, maybe? I'd also be interested in
>working on drivers for the SCSI card I put in my machine. What would I need
>to know in order to start with that?

>I put a similar "How to Get Started" question to this newsgroup a few weeks
>ago, with no responses. I'm an experienced programmer, but not for Linux. In
>fact I'm a complete Linux Programming Newbie. You Linux programmers out
>there had to have started somewhere. Could you share some of your
>experiences with me?

>Thanks for the advice,

Guy I'd ask in some of the "other" Linux ng's were there are more
coders* out.