Printig via LocalTalk

Post by Michael Homschei » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

my Mac is connected to a AppleTalk printer (HP DeskWriter 510) via a
LocalTalk network and to other Macs via an ethernet network. Networking
via ethernet works fine but how to set up printing for my linuxmac AND
the other Macs? Under the MacOS there is the LocalTalkBridge but how
have I to configure this under LinuxPPC R5?

Thnaks Michael.

__________________________

Printig via LocalTalk

Post by Anthony Leste » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Unfortunately you can forget LocalTalk under Linux :-(

you'll find a technical explanation of why at :

http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-user/199903/msg00167.html

either use MacOS for the LocalTalk connection to the printer or
see if you can get ethernet adaptor for the printer.

sorry

Anthony

Michael Homscheidt a crit:

> Hello,

> my Mac is connected to a AppleTalk printer (HP DeskWriter 510) via a
> LocalTalk network and to other Macs via an ethernet network. Networking
> via ethernet works fine but how to set up printing for my linuxmac AND
> the other Macs? Under the MacOS there is the LocalTalkBridge but how
> have I to configure this under LinuxPPC R5?

> Thnaks Michael.

> __________________________

Printig via LocalTalk

Post by Anthony Leste » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can't give you precise details but the only device specific driver
you need is for ghostscript, which performs the rasterisation of
the postscript code to send to a non-postscript printer.

For more details have a look at the FAQ-O-MATIC at

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/lppc-serve/cache/327.html

As for the AppleTalk connection, you need to make sure that netatalk
is installed on your linux box (its on the CD). This includes a
program called pap (there is a man page) which sends data to an
appletalk connected printer. So you need to set up your printcap
entry so that lpd sends the data to pap. I've never tried it so
good luck.

Anthohny

> If I may follow up with a related question:
> I have a HP DewskWriter 560C hooked through a Dayna Mini Etherprint box
> to my 2 Ethernetted Macs. Works perfectly fine.
> Since its hoked up over Ethernet, I assume Linux won't have a problem
> with the printer being a LocalTalk device, but how can I use this
> printer under Linux? I assume I'll need a driver?

> TIA

> --
> Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/%7Etekelenb/>

> Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
> PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"

|       _           |     Anthony LESTER                             |
|      (_)          |     Laboratoire LIP6 / Equipe ASIM             |
|   _   _   ___     |     Universite Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris 6) |
|  | | | | |   )    |     Couloir 55-65 2eme etage                   |
|  | | | | | 6  )   |     4, place Jussieu, 75252 Paris Cedex 05     |
|  | | |_| |  _)    |     Tel: (33) 1 44 27 71 24                    |
|  | |___  | |      |     Fax: (33) 1 44 27 72 80                    |

1. printig with samba or pc netlink

Hello,

I have an Ultra 10 with a HP Deskjet 815. The printer works with CUPS fine.
But I'm unable to share the printer with other windows client. I have used
samba and pc netlink. In both, I have the same error. Windows find the
printer but I can't print. The Windows Printer manager always say something
like "access denied, connection not possible"

What Can I do?

Thanks

2. XFilemanager problem

3. Color printig in Caldera 2.2 only B/W on DJ 690C.

4. Serial line is looped back?

5. I don't need burst pages: anaother printig problem

6. release dead port

7. Printig queue with AIX 4.3.2

8. potato with reiserfs.....

9. Color printig (without ncurses)

10. Printig: strange permission problem

11. LocalTalk printer? (HP laserjet 4MP)

12. Support for LocalTalk ports in LinuxPPC?

13. LOCALtalk