Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by Bruce Weh » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:00:14

Howdy,

I just downloaded Yellow Dog Linux as an iso CD-ROM image.  YDL readme
specifically says "Note on burning:  make sure you use your CD burning
software's 'Burn from ISO' option.  Mounting the iso image and then
burning will NOT work."

Trouble is, I can't find a way to do just that.  Help! :)

<>< Bruce

Post by Hugo Wol » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:07:15

> I just downloaded Yellow Dog Linux as an iso CD-ROM image.  YDL readme
> specifically says "Note on burning:  make sure you use your CD burning
> software's 'Burn from ISO' option.  Mounting the iso image and then
> burning will NOT work."

> Trouble is, I can't find a way to do just that.  Help! :)

If you're running OSX, start "Disk Copy" and select "Burn Image..."
from the "File" menu.  Then use the file browser to select the iso
image file.  Don't mount the image or drag it in to the "Disc Copy"
window: if you burn a mounted image, the resulting cd will look like
it has all the data but it won't be bootable.  If the image is
already mounted when you start Disc Copy, unmount it.

--
d f-d

Post by Bruce Weh » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 01:33:53

> If you're running OSX, start "Disk Copy" and select "Burn Image..."
> from the "File" menu.  Then use the file browser to select the iso
> image file.  Don't mount the image or drag it in to the "Disc Copy"
> window: if you burn a mounted image, the resulting cd will look like
> it has all the data but it won't be bootable.  If the image is
> already mounted when you start Disc Copy, unmount it.

Sorry - I didn't specify.  I'm using OS 9.1.  I would assume that the
procedure is the same.  I will try that when I get home tonight.

Thanks.

--
<>< Bruce Wehr
    Advanced Powertrain R&D

Post by Bruce Weh » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:50:05

> > If you're running OSX, start "Disk Copy" and select "Burn Image..."
> > from the "File" menu.  Then use the file browser to select the iso
> > image file.  Don't mount the image or drag it in to the "Disc Copy"
> > window: if you burn a mounted image, the resulting cd will look like
> > it has all the data but it won't be bootable.  If the image is
> > already mounted when you start Disc Copy, unmount it.

> Sorry - I didn't specify.  I'm using OS 9.1.  I would assume that the
> procedure is the same.  I will try that when I get home tonight.

> Thanks.

Unfortunately, there *is* no "Burn image" on the File menu of my Disk
Copy.  I'm using OS 9.1 and Disk Copy 6.3.3.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

<>< Bruce

Post by Hugo Wol » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:02:15

> Unfortunately, there *is* no "Burn image" on the File menu of my Disk
> Copy.  I'm using OS 9.1 and Disk Copy 6.3.3.

> Any other suggestions?

Could be worth updating to a more current 9.x (these are free updates
from 9.1, right?).  The cd-burning in Disc Copy is relatively new.  I
wouldn't be surprised if it was introduced in 9.2. If that doesn't
work, I have no other suggestions, unless you have a way to get the
image file onto another linux box (in which case, try cdrecord).

Or you could buy a cd-set from YDL :)

--
d f-d

Post by B-52 Aer » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:33:53

> > > If you're running OSX, start "Disk Copy" and select "Burn Image..."
> > > from the "File" menu.  Then use the file browser to select the iso
> > > image file.  Don't mount the image or drag it in to the "Disc Copy"
> > > window: if you burn a mounted image, the resulting cd will look like
> > > it has all the data but it won't be bootable.  If the image is
> > > already mounted when you start Disc Copy, unmount it.

> > Sorry - I didn't specify.  I'm using OS 9.1.  I would assume that the
> > procedure is the same.  I will try that when I get home tonight.

> > Thanks.

> Unfortunately, there *is* no "Burn image" on the File menu of my Disk
> Copy.  I'm using OS 9.1 and Disk Copy 6.3.3.

> Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

> <>< Bruce

Using 9.1 and Toast select the "Other" icon and disc image from the
drop down. Click the select button and then navigate to the Yellow Dog
.iso file. This produced a bootable CD for me.

Now if I can only figure out how to install it...

--
B-52 Aero

Post by Bruce Weh » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:13:39

> Could be worth updating to a more current 9.x (these are free updates
> from 9.1, right?).  The cd-burning in Disc Copy is relatively new.

Thanks for the suggestion - I've upgraded and am running OS 9.2.2 now.

Unfortunately, there were no upgrades to Disk Copy.  It appears that
6.3.3 is still the latest - still no way to burn ISO images.

I'm waiting for OSX 10.2 before I purchase and upgrade to OSX.  Before
then, I'd *really* like to get YDL up and running - if it's sufficient
for my purposes, I may decide not to purchase OSX.

Help!

--
<>< Bruce Wehr
    Advanced Powertrain R&D

Post by Bruce Weh » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:14:38

> Using 9.1 and Toast select the "Other" icon and disc image from the
> drop down.

Sorry, I don't have Toast.

--
<>< Bruce Wehr
    Advanced Powertrain R&D

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by Bruce Weh » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:08:46

Quote:> I'm waiting for OSX 10.2 before I purchase and upgrade to OSX.  Before
> then, I'd *really* like to get YDL up and running - if it's sufficient
> for my purposes, I may decide not to purchase OSX.

Someone suggested that I burn the ISO image on a PC.  Well, a friend did
that for me today at work.  He used Easy CD Creator (by the same folks
who make Toast, IIRC).  We burned the ISO image no problem.

At home, the CD mounted and I could browse it.  When I restarted (while
holding C) to boot from the CD, the system just hung with a blank
screen.  (I could hear the drive spin up for 10-15 seconds, then spin
down for about a minute, and repeat that cycle over and over.)  I tried
the <OPTION><APPLE>PR on reboot, then went to C to boot from CD ... same
behavior.

This is getting frustrating! :(

Thanks everybody for all your help so far.  If anybody has any ideas on
this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

<>< Bruce

Post by B-52 Aer » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:24:32

> > I'm waiting for OSX 10.2 before I purchase and upgrade to OSX.  Before
> > then, I'd *really* like to get YDL up and running - if it's sufficient
> > for my purposes, I may decide not to purchase OSX.

> Someone suggested that I burn the ISO image on a PC.  Well, a friend did
> that for me today at work.  He used Easy CD Creator (by the same folks
> who make Toast, IIRC).  We burned the ISO image no problem.

> At home, the CD mounted and I could browse it.  When I restarted (while
> holding C) to boot from the CD, the system just hung with a blank
> screen.  (I could hear the drive spin up for 10-15 seconds, then spin
> down for about a minute, and repeat that cycle over and over.)  I tried
> the <OPTION><APPLE>PR on reboot, then went to C to boot from CD ... same
> behavior.

> This is getting frustrating! :(

> Thanks everybody for all your help so far.  If anybody has any ideas on
> this, it would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

> <>< Bruce

I have had good luck holding down the option key while booting (just
option). This brings up a "menu" of all possible startup options
available. The YDL CD shows up with the Linux penguin icon. Boot works
but I still haven't succeeded in installing (gaining knowledge slowly
however).

--
B-52 Aero

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by Bruce Weh » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:37:51

Quote:> I have had good luck holding down the option key while booting (just
> option). This brings up a "menu" of all possible startup options
> available. The YDL CD shows up with the Linux penguin icon.

Sounds good - will have to try that.

Quote:> Boot works
> but I still haven't succeeded in installing (gaining knowledge slowly
> however).

What problems are you having with installation?  I've got a Installation
Video from YDL's web site.  Have you seen that?

<>< Bruce

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by B-52 Aer » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:17:54

Quote:

> What problems are you having with installation?  I've got a Installation
> Video from YDL's web site.  Have you seen that?

> <>< Bruce

See my other post. I think the first problem may be that I formatted
the drive partition as HFS+. Since I don't want to have to re-format
that drive I am looking into installing an old 3GB drive and using it
for Linux.

I haven't seen the video, will look at the YDL website again.

Did the option key work for you?

--
B-52 Aero

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by Bruce Weh » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:54:49

Quote:> Did the option key work for you?

No, unfortunately, it didn't.  The machine did the same thing: just hung
on a blank screen.  I also tried holding the option key with no CD in,
hoping the menu would appear, showing my HD as the only startup option.
No luck: the same old blank screen hang.

I even tried a suggestion someone else made: try setting the CD-RW drive
as my startup drive.  That didn't work because OS 9 wants you to select
a "system folder" on your startup device, and the YDL disk doesn't
*have* a system folder.

I even got Toast and burned the YDL iso image using that on my Mac.
Still no luck.  This is no longer just frustrating, this is getting
aggravating.  I'd *love* to know what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of being a newbie.  ARRGGHH!  :)

<>< Bruce

Post by Tehrasha Darko » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:38:57

> No, unfortunately, it didn't.  The machine did the same thing: just hung
> on a blank screen.  I also tried holding the option key with no CD in,
> hoping the menu would appear, showing my HD as the only startup option.
> No luck: the same old blank screen hang.

> I even tried a suggestion someone else made: try setting the CD-RW drive
> as my startup drive.  That didn't work because OS 9 wants you to select
> a "system folder" on your startup device, and the YDL disk doesn't
> *have* a system folder.

> I even got Toast and burned the YDL iso image using that on my Mac.
> Still no luck.  This is no longer just frustrating, this is getting
> aggravating.  I'd *love* to know what I'm doing wrong.

> Oh, the trials and tribulations of being a newbie.  ARRGGHH!  :)

> <>< Bruce

What mac is this being installed on?
This sounds remarkably like trying to install YDL
via a bootable CD on an 'old world' Mac.

--Teh

--
My mailbox is NOT an adverti*t medium.     Tehrasha Darkon

Send me spam, lose your account.  Get it?        TINLC-1372
http://www.veryComputer.com/;          B.A.S.T.A.R.D

Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Post by Bruce Weh » Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:04:38

Quote:> What mac is this being installed on?
> This sounds remarkably like trying to install YDL
> via a bootable CD on an 'old world' Mac.

"Old world?"  Boy, have I got a lot to learn about Macs! :)

This is a 466MHz PowerMac G4 purchased about April 2001.  Is this "old
world?"  I've only been playing with it a couple weeks now.

I've worked with HP-UX boxes since 1985, and have setup up several dual
boot Linux/Windows x86 boxes in recent years.  Macs are totally new to
me - and, in some respects, more challenging than I expected.  (Yeah,
call me a switcher, if you like - or an "attempting to switch"er! :)

<>< Bruce

1. Unable to create Bootable CD using RedHat9 ISO images...

Ok I have a real annoying situation.  I have downloaded RedHat8 ISO images
from many different sources. Files are psyche-i386-disc1.iso,
psyche-i386-disc2.iso, psyche-i386-disc3.iso.  I burn the ISOs with Nero.  I
choose burn image etc etc .. The burn completes with no errors.  Yet when I
attempt to boot off the CD no computer sees it as a bootable CD.  And both
the PCS are properly setup to boot from cd (tested)  Ive also tried both
"disc at once" and "track at once" write methods.  Has anyone successfully
booted from these image files?  Even the info section within Nero displays
"Joliet (bootable)"  Im going crazy that's the third coster Ive made this
week..

2. Urgent: Upgrade old 486

3. Burning an ISO into a bootable CD and mp3's to music CD's.

4. FS:PC SOFTWARES!!!!!!

5. Trouble downloading YDL-1.2 ISO images

6. Help with firewall rules

7. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

8. make process sleep in milliseconds

9. HELP iso image burning to cd and making it bootable HELP

10. Bootable ISO CD Images of OpenBSD 2.6 Release?

11. ISO Images to 650 or 700 MB CD's, and 'dd' or rawrite ???

12. How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

13. Creating cds from downloaded iso-images fails