Q: Mounting drives

Post by Your Nam » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

all,

Right, I'm out of my depth and I'll just have to ask:

I've just installed the latest release of LinuxPPC on a PowerPC 8200/120. Install was a doddle and I have a pretty little OS sitting there on my desktop... However, I can't use the CD, ZIP or floppy drives (I've tried both the "windows explorer" in gnome and the "mount" command). I've also tried editing the fstab file, tried several different syntaxes I saw on other machines, without any luck.This obviously limits the uses of linux at the moment (to about ZERO!) What am I doing wrong???

Also, I find that the command to shut the system down only works if I'm logged on as root. Is this because linux/unix is designed for workstations and servers that are "never" switched off? Is there some other way of shutting down?

Thanks in advance,
Magnus

remove the tinned meat to reply... (or reply to NG)

Q: Mounting drives

Post by Peter Amber » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I can't use the CD, ZIP or floppy drives (I've tried both the "windows explorer" in gnome and the "mount" command). I've also tried editing the fstab file, tried several different syntaxes I saw on other machines, without any luck.

For the CD-ROM, make sure /dev/cdrom is pointing to the correct driver. Type

  ls -l  /dev/cdrom

This shows you where the link is pointing to. It is likely to say something like "scd0", that is, a SCSI CD-ROM. If you have an ATAPI CD-ROM, you need to remove the link and make a new one to the correct device. To find out which device your CD-ROM is, watch the output when Linux boots, or have a look at /var/log/messages. My CD-ROM is /dev/hde. To change the link, use:-

    rm /dev/cdrom
    ln -s /dev/hde /dev/cdrom

For the ZIP drive, do the following:

    - Find out what device is assigned to the ZIP drive (have a look at /var/log/messages)
       (Mine is assigned to /dev/hdf)
    - mkdir /mnt/zip
    - ln -s /dev/hdf /dev/zip
    - Add an entry to fstab with /mnt/zip as the mount-point and /dev/zip as the device. If you
       want the user to be able to mount the zip, add 'user' to the list of flags. Use 'vfat' or 'msdos'
      as the file system type. (You can't mount MacOS-formatted Zips, afaik!)
    - Finally, insert a Zip, THEN type 'mount /dev/zip'

Quote:> Also, I find that the command to shut the system down only works if I'm logged on as root. Is this because linux/unix is designed for workstations and servers that are "never" switched off? Is there some other way of shutting down?

gdm (ie. the graphical login screen) seems to have a bug that can cause logouts and shutdowns to hang. That's why I am doing without any graphical login screen--my Linux boots in runlevel 3, not 5.

[Q]
But one thing should interest me, too: When I login as user, open an XTerm and write 'reboot', it says: "Must be superuser." So, reboot is found and executed, but reboot itself rejects the request. My Question: Can Linux be configured that even users can reboot (and halt) the machine?

/Peter

1. 3 Qs - lock file, sound, mounting CD-ROM

I'm a newbie to Linux and am quickly learning, but I have a few
questions.  I have just set up Red Hat 6.1 Deluxe and am having the
following three problems and  can't find solutions in any documentation:

1.  PPP is working, but I can't open Netscape due to a "lock file".
Where is this lock file and should I delete it?  What do I need to do
to use Netscape?

2.  How do I set up and configure my sound?  I have no sound right now
and can't figure out how to get Linux to fetect my sound card.  I have
a Soundblaster 16, by the way.

3.  How do I mount my CD-ROM drive?  My floppy seems to mount
automatically, but everytime I try to mound my CD-ROM I get the message
"Invalid media type" - regardless of what CD is in the drive.

I would greatly appreciate any replies!

2. bootsect.S in 2.3.21 !

3. 2 Qs: modem connect speed indication, and mounting file system over modem link

4. Boot from Disk and net ?

5. Root is mounted -- how how you mount root to another drive?

6. ftp'ing in a shell

7. smbfs mounting Nt 4.0 Drives or Win95 Drives!

8. How to install the latest tk/tcl?

9. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

10. Double or drive spaced Dos drives Is there a mount type for these

11. Mount SCSI NCR 810 + ZIP DRIVE + SCSI DRIVE

12. HELP: Mounting CDROM drive and a FAT32 drive

13. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive