How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

Post by Gerhard Mehld » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

All,

I just installed a new ATI Xclaim 3D PCI card in my PowerMac 6500.
It's working fine under MacOS and I would like to get it to work
with PPCLinux, too.  ;-)

I have set the OF variable output-device to /bandit/ATY,XCLAIM3DPro.
OF comes up on the screen, I can interact with it and start the
Linux boot, but as soon as the Linux kernel starts executing, the
output goes to the onboard video.

What do I need to do to get the kernel to use the new video?

BTW, this is PPCLinux 4; I'm not (yet) using PPCLinux 5 or BootX.

Thanks,

Gerhard

Post by Jeffrey Alexand » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I have set the OF variable output-device to /bandit/ATY,XCLAIM3DPro.
: OF comes up on the screen, I can interact with it and start the
: Linux boot, but as soon as the Linux kernel starts executing, the
: output goes to the onboard video.

: What do I need to do to get the kernel to use the new video?

: BTW, this is PPCLinux 4; I'm not (yet) using PPCLinux 5 or BootX.

Even with LinuxPPC 4 you can still use BootX.  It really is a lot nicer
than messing with Open Firmware.  If you're dual booting, there isn't much
of a reason not to use BootX, and it will let your ATI work.  I've been
using an Xclaim VR successfully for a while now, and had the same problems
you had with OF.

-Jeff