Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

Post by patri » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:13:23

My system works.  Finally.  :)

Now, I'd like it to make sense when I'm plugging things in the back
of the computer.

Currently my HP DeskWriter is plugged into the modem port of my 8500/G3
running LinuxPPC 2.2.18.  However, when I try to switch to ttyS1 (which I'm
assuming is the printer port) and plug the printer into the printer port,
I get garbage when printing test pages from printtool.

Plug it back into the modem port, and go back to ttyS0, everything is
fine again.

Is ttyS1 *not* the PrinterPort?

Tks,
patrick

Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

Post by William C. Brenna » Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:00:17

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:13:23 -0500, patrick wrote

Quote:

> Currently my HP DeskWriter is plugged into the modem port of my 8500/G3
> running LinuxPPC 2.2.18.  However, when I try to switch to ttyS1 (which I'm
> assuming is the printer port) and plug the printer into the printer port,
> I get garbage when printing test pages from printtool.

> Plug it back into the modem port, and go back to ttyS0, everything is
> fine again.

> Is ttyS1 *not* the PrinterPort?

I can't speak to your *exact* configuration, because I have a
Mac 7200/90 running the Debian distribution.  However, I just
recently installed Linux myself and had a serial printer
problem which sounds just like yours.  I have a HP DeskJet 855C,
which may have a similar protocol.

After much mailing list and Web-site searching, I found the
following site, which solved my problem.

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/mfrueh_print_oldmac.html

Briefly, the problem may be that your printer port driver
(yes, it's ttyS1) has its baud rate set incorrectly as a default.
The above URL will show you how to set it correctly by using "stty".

If this solves your problem, be sure to insert the "stty" command
within the proper system startup script, so you don't have to enter
it manually every time.  I don't know what the proper script would be
in a LinuxPPC distribution.

Good luck!

--
Bill Brennan

Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

Post by patri » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 04:33:48

Quote:>Briefly, the problem may be that your printer port driver
>(yes, it's ttyS1) has its baud rate set incorrectly as a default.
>The above URL will show you how to set it correctly by using "stty".

Yep, that was the problem.  I actually went over my old notes and founda
refrence to a .rc file I had edited originally, and lo and behold, it
pointed to ttyS0 instead of ttyS1.  vi'd the file, rebooted, and all is
good.  :)

1. Converting Serial port ttyS0 to ttyS1

Hi All,

I bought a digital camera that works very well with Linux
and photopc when the device used is ttyS0 but unfortunately
the serial port ttyS0 is already used by the mouse.

I want to use ttyS1 instead, thus I tried to use an adapter
(9 to 25 pin adapter) to convert ttyS0 to ttyS1
but it doesn't seems to be that easy since the camera is not 'seen' that
way!

What's wrong! Why is the camera not seen that way?

Is it a problem with the DB9 to DB25 adapter or is it a problem with the
serial port ttyS1 itself?

Thanks!

2. Adaptec 2940 PCI + Adaptec 1540CF ???????

3. Using a printer from the printer port of a term conn to a Unix comp

4. looking for messaging library

5. Project problem - linux printer portProject problem - linux printer port

6. printing the screen contents to printer

7. Printing to two printers from one queue (Printers print identically not load balancing)

8. Help - GUI freezes up on startup of SCO Free Openserver Desktop system.

9. printer port not showing - adding new port

10. HELP: multiple printers on one port, port closed before output written

11. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

12. Netterm from Boundless - port id for printer port with netcat

13. Help printing to local printer on serial-b port