LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

Post by Patrick Pritcha » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:07:15

I've recompiled a 2.2.18 kernel with all of the USB options enabled
in "make menuconfig", except for the ones for devices I don't have
(e.g.: USB Scanner, etc.), and for UHCI drivers (my PCI USB card
is OHCI).

When I goot LinuxPPC 2.2.18, I get a bunch of status messages telling
me that a USB device was found, and my mouse lights up.

But how do I get Linux/Gnome to realize it is there, and actually
use it??

Any help appreciated, I've searched the web but couldn't find much.

-patrick

LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

Post by Andrew Keat » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:01:32

Good question - I am curious as to the answer.

Does anyone know if LinuxPPC will recognize a dual firewire/usb
card, such as PowerLogix's RapidFire PCI board?

AK

> I've recompiled a 2.2.18 kernel with all of the USB options enabled
> in "make menuconfig", except for the ones for devices I don't have
> (e.g.: USB Scanner, etc.), and for UHCI drivers (my PCI USB card
> is OHCI).

> When I goot LinuxPPC 2.2.18, I get a bunch of status messages telling
> me that a USB device was found, and my mouse lights up.

> But how do I get Linux/Gnome to realize it is there, and actually
> use it??

> Any help appreciated, I've searched the web but couldn't find much.

> -patrick

LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

Post by Franklin Marmo » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:58:12

Using the 2.4 backport (found:
http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/ )
on a 2.2.18 kernel worked fine with my intelipoint wheelie mouse.
Upgrading
to the 2.4.0-paulus kernel worked better though.  It also fixed an
annoying sleep
problem, kusbd was dieing on my lombard when I would sleep the machine.
The mouse still dies after sleep but unplugging it and plugging it back
in causes
a device rescan and it comes back.

frm

LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

Post by Brian Wai » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 05:14:53

Have you set up the dev directory for the new input layer. There are
directions and an explanation on Ben's page but the steps are:

mkdir /dev/input
mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63
rm /dev/mouse
ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse

That should get your mouse kicking.

Thanks
Brian

Post by Patrick Pritcha » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:46:42

>Have you set up the dev directory for the new input layer. There are
>directions and an explanation on Ben's page but the steps are:

>mkdir /dev/input
>mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63
>rm /dev/mouse
>ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse

>That should get your mouse kicking.

Hey, thanks.

I actually checked that page out, and had already done all that, but it
still wasn't working.  I tried recompiling a new Kernel (exact same as the
old one, but I made it "2.2.18c" by modifying my /usr/src/linux/Makefile),
and then issued:

  depmod -a 2.2.18c

And rebooted.  Methinks it was a problem with the modules not being
loaded/recognized.

LinuxPPC 2.2.18 w/ USB - How do I get my mouse to work?

Post by Pete Schu » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:45:12

The relevant instructions from http://penguinppc.org/~benh/ are given below:

      You will need to update your device in /dev. For RedHat-based
      distributions, there's an updated package Here [i.e.
       ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/R5/RPMS/ppc/dev-2.7.18-3b.ppc.rpm].
      You can also manually create the new mouse device this way:

            su -
            cd /dev
            rm usbmouse
            rm mouse
            mkdir input
            mknod input/mice c 13 63
            ln -s input/mice mouse
            ln -s input/mice usbmouse

      You may also need to update your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to use
      /dev/mouse with the protocol "IMPS/2". For MacOnLinux users, you should
      now configure MOL to use /dev/mouse and "usb" (or ps2) protocol (even with
      ADB). If you want /proc/bus/usb to be functional, you'll also need to add
      the following to your /etc/fstab file:

            none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

I had earlier tried it the way Brian says but to no avail also. I don't
know whether it's having /dev/usbmouse point to /dev/input/mice or adding
the line to /etc/fstab, but as of this morning, I have a mouse in Linux!

--Pete