Creating a YDL install disk

Post by ImaLuze » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:13:42

I have the iso image for the YDL installer. If I burn this image onto a CD,
does it have to be a certain format? (ie ISO 9660) or can it be burned as
"Mac Files and Folders"? I'm using  an CDR drive out of a an HP in my G4
Sawtooth and the version of Toast doesn't support ISO 9660. Version 3.5.7 of
Toast does support it but won't recognize the drive. Hmmmm...any
suggestions?

Creating a YDL install disk

Post by ImaLuze » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:06:08

Ok, since I've "frankensteined" an HP CDR drive into my G4, I don't think
I'm gonna be able to burn an ISO 9660 with Toast v4.1.2. And since I can't
get v3.5.7 of Toast to recognize the HP bastard drive, I'm looking for other
alternatives. The YDL website says that you can install YDL from an HFS
partition, but then I can't find any information on how to go about this.
What to do...what to do...

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.powerpc
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:22:29 -0500
> Subject: Re: Creating a YDL install disk

> + I have the iso image for the YDL installer. If I burn this image onto a CD,
> + does it have to be a certain format? (ie ISO 9660) or can it be burned as
> + "Mac Files and Folders"? I'm using  an CDR drive out of a an HP in my G4
> + Sawtooth and the version of Toast doesn't support ISO 9660. Version 3.5.7 of
> + Toast does support it but won't recognize the drive. Hmmmm...any
> + suggestions?

> mac files and folders won't work, you have to use format --> disc image.

> have you checked Adaptec's site for an update for either version of
> Toast that you have?

> the unable to burn an ISO image with Toast thread cropped up about a
> year or so ago. it seems that the oem version of toast was for some
> reason missing the format --> disc image option

> --
> Bicycle Crash Test Dummy For Hire

Creating a YDL install disk

Post by Andre John Ma » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:41:54

> Ok, since I've "frankensteined" an HP CDR drive into my G4, I don't think
> I'm gonna be able to burn an ISO 9660 with Toast v4.1.2. And since I can't
> get v3.5.7 of Toast to recognize the HP bastard drive, I'm looking for other
> alternatives. The YDL website says that you can install YDL from an HFS
> partition, but then I can't find any information on how to go about this.
> What to do...what to do...

If its anything like LinuxPPC then its a matter of creating a 700Mb HFS
partition, and if you have MacOS 9 create the necessary Linux partitions
withe Apple's disk partitioning software, and then copy the mounted ISO
image to the HFS partition (mounts with Disk Copy).

Next step would be to select the HFS partition as the startup disk, using
'Startup Disk' and then rebooting.

BTW, for you HP CDR drive you should see if HP has any Mac drivers,
if they do then it could make all the difference.

Andre

1. Installing YDL on a second disk?

Hi,

I would like to try out YDL on my Powerbook (wallstreet) but i don't
want to play around with my existing system configuration, I have a 20GB
expansion bay drive - can I install YDL on this and start YDL only when
I want to? i.e I would insert the exp bay HD in order to boot into YDL.

So far all of the documentation I have read seems to indicate that I
should install YDL on my primary HD and MacOS on the secondary drive
(the opposite to what I would like to do)

Can I do this?

TIA

Alan
--
Alan Moore
Email:ajmo at infomediador dot com

2. Problem installing Free SCO 5.0.2 from ATAPI CDROM

3. REPOST: HELP...Installing YDL from a partition onto a different partition on the same disk

4. RPM topdir moved

5. YDL 2 install can't find media prior to install

6. LD_LIBRARY_PATH - is there an easier way?

7. YDL 2 install can't find media pror to install

8. How to save routing tables

9. Creating boot disk for RS/6000 to install SuSE PPC Linux

10. How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

11. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

12. WHICH PATH FILES TO USE TO CREATE INSTALL DISKS ON SLACKWARE 3.5 ???

13. Creating Redhat 5.1 Boot/Install disk?