LinuxPPC and my graphics card

Post by Zimbo » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

OK Dweeb questions before I take the final crunch and order LinuxPPC.
Couldn't find answers to these on their site, so I'd be grateful for any
help.

1) Is my graphics card (Formac ProFormance 80 Imagine 128/2 8mb) going to
work / supported / need drivers if I want to run linuxPPC ?

2) My hard drive is already partitioned into 5 800mb partitions (Its a 4gb
drive). Will one of these be sufficient to run LinuxPPC or am I going to
have to repartition ?

3) All my work stuff is on MacOS 8.1, am I likely to get any
interference/lost data/problems on the partitions on which linux is not
installed, or, barring sheer stupidity, am I to presume that running
linuxPPC on the same computer is a fairly safe thing to do.

Many thanks,

Simon Troup

Post by Bill Dara » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> OK Dweeb questions before I take the final crunch and order LinuxPPC.
> Couldn't find answers to these on their site, so I'd be grateful for any
> help.

> 1) Is my graphics card (Formac ProFormance 80 Imagine 128/2 8mb) going to
> work / supported / need drivers if I want to run linuxPPC ?

> 2) My hard drive is already partitioned into 5 800mb partitions (Its a 4gb
> drive). Will one of these be sufficient to run LinuxPPC or am I going to
> have to repartition ?

    You will have to shift some stuff until you can get about two empty
partitons. Then using pdisk it is possible to reformat them while leaving
the rest of your disk untouched.

Quote:> 3) All my work stuff is on MacOS 8.1, am I likely to get any
> interference/lost data/problems on the partitions on which linux is not
> installed, or, barring sheer stupidity, am I to presume that running
> linuxPPC on the same computer is a fairly safe thing to do.

    Very safe under most circumstances. I have found that Disk First Aid was
somewhat surprised at my new partiton scheme and didn't really understand
what I had done, giving me a scary sounding error. So it is best to really
check the integrity of your partitions before you format.

    Otherwise there is little to worry about.

Bill Daras

1. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

Hello,

I am in the process of building a "second" PC which will run Linux,
most likely RedHat 6.0 or above.  One of the applications I intend to
run will do some intensive rendering/surfacing/CAD type stuff and runs
with the MESA library under Linux.

The Vodoo3 3000 cards are inexpensive enough for me to consider buying
one - and I know there is a Linux driver under development for this
chipset.

I also know that XFree86 has some support for 3Dlabs chips such as the
Permedia 2 on the ever popular under Windows Fire GL 1000.  So, I am
looking for opinions from those out there with some experience in this
area on the following questions:

1.      Which of these currently "supported," at least somewhat, would
give the best performance and why? (Under NT for CAD type
applications, from what I know, the answer would most likely be the GL
1000.)
2.      Which of these cards would give the best overall performance?
3.      Is there a better solution such as with a TNT2 or some other
chipset?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Matthew

2. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

3. PC-graphic cards with LinuxPPC on PReP???

4. Moving "unmovable" sectors so FIPS works

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Knode connection broken error

7. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

8. gatekeeper

9. Re-activate onboard graphic chip with AGP graphic card plugged?

10. A Graphics card and adapter to give 24-bit graphics + 64k colours.

11. Voodoo 3 Graphics Card drivers for full screen graphics

12. linuxPPC 2000 & Farallon enet card / ethernet card suggestions?

13. spider graphics card, promise EIDE card, adaptec 2842a = HELP!