Getting Started on a G3

Post by H. James de St. Germa » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Greetings members of the Linux Community.

Here is the set up:

Macintosh G3/266, 4 gig IDE, JAZ drive.
I've used pdisk to format the JAZ cartridge as follows:

>  /dev/sde
>     #:                 type name                length   base    ( size )

>  Block size=512, Number of Blocks=2091050
>  DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
>  Drivers-

I've used the Install MkLinux program to install the 2.1 MkLinux Tar file.
I've confirmed the file install using LinuxDisks.
I've installed the Mach Kernal and booter in the extension files.
I've installed the MkLinux Control Panel.

Here is the problem:

When the MkLinux/Mac OS choice window appears, I chose mklinux and a
variety of things happen depending on the version of the kernal I use
and the mac extensions enabled.

-using 2.1 kernal and booter-
worse) screen freezes, have to reboot

-using 2.1 kernal and 1.2.9a booter-
bad)   apple bomb appears telling me that an error (10 i think) has occured
       and i have to restart (restart button doesn't work of course)

-using 2.1 kernal update 6, and 1.4 booter
not good) linux starts to boot.  I get about a half page of messages followed
          by an unresolved kernal trap 0x300 message.

What to do?

Has anyone else gotten a PMG3/266 with JAZ drive installation of
MkLinux to boot all the way into Linux?  If so how?  What versions?
What partition sizes?

Has anyone gotten the same kernal trap and found a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
  Jim

PS. I would be grateful for both a response here and via email

Getting Started on a G3

Post by Jorge (Ju » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>..
>Here is the set up:
>Macintosh G3/266, 4 gig IDE, JAZ drive.
>I've used the Install MkLinux program to install the 2.1 MkLinux Tar file.
>What to do?

Use PreDR3 , not DR2.1ux .

Jure Z.

--

1. !!Getting rid of auto start programs at start/Dialing up freeserve!!

is there a way to get rid of those nasty startup proggies as soon as you log
in...i think its the redhathat help browser, and midnight commander that
start first...
also how do i dialup to freeserve...i found a diaup program in the
menu's...i set that up but i get errors connecting...in windoze the diamond
56k modem is on com3, but i tried that for linux and it doesnt appear to
agree with me?
how can i tell what port its on...
there is a modem in the dialup bit..when i click delete, then close it, it
magically re-appears again..is there a way to reconfigure the settings i
chose when it first detected the modem?
or could someone tell me the steps to setting up an internet connection..the
only thing i think i will need is the DNS of freeserve..i have my login info
and telephone number already

thanx for listening to my ramblings, but i cant find any info in the help
screens.

Adam

2. Help: RedHat 4.0 and sound device permissions

3. Getting programs to start when X starts?

4. Linux Setup - RedHat 4.1

5. XFree86 4.0.2 -- Voodoo3 -- Beige G3 (am I getting close?)

6. IOMEGA SCSI ZIP DRIVE

7. Getting sound to work on blue G3

8. SLS-A1 Disk Problems

9. Starting MkLinux on a G3

10. Can't get X to start on G3 Series (wallstreet)

11. Starting with MkLinux on G3: advice much appreciated

12. OF screen Alias for G3 (was Boot device on PM G3/233)

13. Powerlogix G3 ZIP 466/233 on Beige G3 + LinuxPPC 99