Newbie Question re: updating kernel and getting ethernet running

Post by marti » Mon, 01 May 2000 04:00:00

> I have two questions:

>    1)  I am running LinuxPPC 2000 on an iBook, and am brand new to it.
> I am trying to update the kernel to allow modem support, etc. but am
> unsure what to do with the files after I have downloaded them (modules,
> systemmap, etc.)  I know where the kernels folder for the kernel itself
> is, but what do I do with the rest of the files?

Read the kernel-howto

Quote:>    2)  I am also trying to get PPP and TCP/IP running, but have no clue
> how to do it.  It looks as though it might be easier in KDE (kPPP) but I
> can only get GNOME to run at present.  Any pointers as to where to look?

net3-howto

http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ldp/

Have fun!

1. Newbie: question about for kernel update for PCI NE2000 Redhat4.2

Hi everyone,
I am an absolute newbie on Linux (so I write this under Win) and a
have a problem to which I cannot find an answer. I borrowed a Redhat
4.2 cd and managed to install Redhat 4.2  and LILO. The problem is
that I need an updated kernel (redhat4.2 comes with 2.0.30) to get my
NIC working. The problem is that I download (under Win) an updated
kernel but it is over 2 MB, kernel-2_0_36-3_i386.rpm. I have not a
clue how to get this file on my linux partitions. (Where should I put
it anyway?)
How to solve the problem above?
Kind regards,
Maarten Sanders.
P.S. If possible I would like to receive a copy any answer also by
mail.

===========
sending mail? remove .nospam from my e-mail address

2. backup drive LILO config

3. Newbie Question: Updating Corel kernel

4. Poll on /proc files

5. Kernel Update - Newbie Question

6. which linux prog can sql an odbc database?

7. Newbie Needs Help Getting PCMCIA Ethernet on PB2400c

8. RFD: comp.os.vos

9. NEWBIE: Need Help Getting PPP & Ethernet to work together

10. problem getting KDE running with SUSE linux - <newbie>

11. Newbie: getting X to run [75 lines]

12. newbie needs help getting X running with Trident card

13. Newbie: Kernel updates