I need help with X, it won't even start...

I need help with X, it won't even start...

Post by Philip W » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

    I have given up on the X-based installer, it won't even find my files
(and I have tried EVERYTHING). I am fairly familiar with Linux (x86 and PPC)
and had no problems installing/setting up R4 (X-windows/sound/modem/etc).
Now I decide to put LinuxPPC-1999 on my Rev.B iMac, and shudder at the
HORRIBLE X-"installer" (Bleh... what a waste of a 25-meg download!). I go
ahead and get the RedHat installer going, and install, blah, blah, blah...
until I come to the point of configuring X. It told me it had probed and
found an ATI Rage, 1 meg card (At this point, I am thinking, "What the Phu**
is going on here?)... I finish the install, and bam! I see LOGIN:  ... I
think, oh sh**, where is X??? I try every XF86Config file I can find, to no
avail... So to get to the point... How do I get X running, I have no ideas
anymore!

                                                -Philip (Please help!!!)

I need help with X, it won't even start...

Post by Jason Haa » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[message snipped for clarity]

Have you tried running the programs Xautoconfig or Xconfiguator?

Cheers,

LinuxPPC Inc,  www.linuxppc.com

I need help with X, it won't even start...

Post by Eric Brueggeman » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've been having the same "gpm *ed" problem as everyone else.

I've tried the single mode > Xautoconfig / Xconfigurator trick, but to no
avail.

I'm running a PowerCenter Pro w/ an ATI XClaim 3D and a pretty crappy
generic 17" monitor (ProView, I think).  Anyone manage to get X up under a
similar configuration?

Cheers,

Eric

> [message snipped for clarity]

> Have you tried running the programs Xautoconfig or Xconfiguator?

> Cheers,

> LinuxPPC Inc,  www.linuxppc.com

I need help with X, it won't even start...

Post by Logan Hal » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Try botting up and waiting for the *ed messeage to stop.  login and type
startx.  it should die and give you a better error message then the *eed
message.  if it seemes to be complaing about font path you may need to coment
out the fontpath line in /var/X11/XF86Config file.  That was one of my
problems with X recently so i hope it helps

----
Logan

"O God of Earth and Altar,
Bow down and hear our cry,
Our earthly rulers falter,
Our people drift and die,
The walls of gold entomb us,
The swords of scorn divide,
Take not thy thunder from us,
But take away our pride."
   -G.K.Chesterton: English Hymnal

> I've been having the same "gpm *ed" problem as everyone else.

> I've tried the single mode > Xautoconfig / Xconfigurator trick, but to no
> avail.

> I'm running a PowerCenter Pro w/ an ATI XClaim 3D and a pretty crappy
> generic 17" monitor (ProView, I think).  Anyone manage to get X up under a
> similar configuration?

> Cheers,

> Eric

> > [message snipped for clarity]

> > Have you tried running the programs Xautoconfig or Xconfiguator?

> > Cheers,

> > LinuxPPC Inc,  www.linuxppc.com

1. S3 911/924 & NEC 3D won't even start...

I have a HP Vectra 486-33n, HP Ultra VGA, 8mb ram. After running
XF86Config and stuff, I could not get X to start... complaining about
error 13 or something. Apparently none of the video modes work. The system
has under DOS the S3 911, but under Linux has S3 924? The combo of S3 and
NEC 3D should work, shouldn't it? If anybody can help... thanks in advance

2. thud-0.8 (cycle-based Scheme-HDL rtl simulator) available

3. Redhat 6.1 won't start (even once)

4. TFTP Server

5. NetBSD won't start dhclient even though it is in rc

6. 'BadSector UncorrectableError' messages...

7. PC won't even start anymore......

8. PPP/Modem Recommendations

9. Xwindows won't start.....help needed

10. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

11. Help - I can't even get started

12. HELP - I can't start X (or even startx)

13. Help ! Won't Even Load